Windows 10: Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

Discus and support Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I save something on my pc, it saves to my ssd but I checked off that I want it to save to my hardrive in settings but whenever it saves to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by crota, May 16, 2020.

1. crota Win User

Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

Whenever I save something on my pc, it saves to my ssd but I checked off that I want it to save to my hardrive in settings but whenever it saves to somewhere without asking, it saves to my ssd. please help me.

:)

crota, May 16, 2020

2. SSD and HDD

I have a SSD and an internal HDD. I want my docs , scans, pitctures to automatically save to my HDD instead of dragging it later. Or rather I should have the choice of saving it to my SSD or HDD

Leslie1956, May 16, 2020
  3. HLL_544 Win User
    Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, May 16, 2020
  4. Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

SSD and HDD

Thanks Greg,

I have now transferred my docs and download folder to my HDD. Hopefully this will be my default drive to store my docs and other downloads instead of my SSD.

Cheers.

Leslie1956, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

1. Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd - Similar Threads - Why saving ssd

2. My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.: Hello,Few months ago my reading and writing speed was running fine on big games I was using on Steam. When suddenly loading times and games crashed because of my HDD. I later found out that causing the problems was because of my SSD wasnt doing its job. I checked my folders...
  3. My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.: Hello,Few months ago my reading and writing speed was running fine on big games I was using on Steam. When suddenly loading times and games crashed because of my HDD. I later found out that causing the problems was because of my SSD wasnt doing its job. I checked my folders...
  4. My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  6. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My SSD and my HDD: I have 2 drives one labeled C: and D: . The C: says its a SSD and the D: is a HDD. I'm currently on the C drive. The computer was used. The C keeps running out of memory which is the SSD. So is there a way I can install Windows 10 on the Drive? Thanks for Help. Image Below...
  7. My SSD and my HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My System Reserved partition was somehow installed on my HDD instead of the SSD and this...: So apparently when I installed Windows a long ago I had both drives plugged in and Windows decided to install System Reserved on my HDD instead of keeping it on the same drive SSD with the rest of Windows and Recovery. I only discovered this because I was attempting to enable...
  9. Working on SSD, saving on HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Working on SSD, saving on HDD?: Hi, Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere or if its wording is a bit confusing.. it is my first time posting on here so I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2TB HDD which served as my primary (only) drive, until recently when we added a 500GB SSD. The...
  10. Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?: Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD. How can I transfer windows 10 to my SSD? Windows 8 was originally on my SSD, I don't understand why it installed on my HDD. I'm not really a tech wiz but...