Windows 10: Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for...

Discus and support Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm not getting any notifications about a pending update/reset while I'm using the computer, but as soon as I leave for a few hours I come back to see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RayPenber, Mar 2, 2020.

1. RayPenber Win User

Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for...

I'm not getting any notifications about a pending update/reset while I'm using the computer, but as soon as I leave for a few hours I come back to see everything gone? Is there a way to prevent this?

:)

RayPenber, Mar 2, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 2, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Quick Tip: Easily Shutdown or Restart WITHOUT Installing Updates.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been in the situation of needing to shutdown a computer quickly, but there are updates waiting to install. Previous to Windows 8 you could at least restart without being forced to install the updates, and if you are quick you could hit the power button when the computer begins to POST and the computer will turn off. With Windows 8, now even restarting forces you to install the updates. You could use the cmd and Shutdown.exe to shutdown the machine, but I'm getting old and try to avoid the command prompt as much as possible.

Anyway, the easy way I've found to Shutdown or Restart without being forced to install the updates is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and use the power button in the bottom right on the screen that comes up. For whatever reason, this power button is the only one I've found in Windows 7/8 that gives the option to Shutdown or Restart without installing the updates.

Thought I'd share.

newtekie1, Mar 2, 2020
  4. Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for...

Window 10 forced update locked my computer

Hello Marino,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand the difficulty when things won’t work the way they should.
    I will be glad to assist you with the issue you are experiencing with the computer.

• Are you facing this issue for local account or Microsoft account?
    • Did you check if the issue persists in Safe Mode
      ?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to login to hidden admin account and then you may create a new user account and check if it helps.

Try to Enable the Hidden Admin account:

From Login Screen try the below steps.

• On the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down
      while you select Power > Restart
      (in the lower-right corner of the screen).

• After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot
      > Advanced options >
    • Click on Command Prompt, type the command and click
      enter.

• net user Administrator /active:yes
      (there is a space after administrator)
    Restart the computer to login to admin account
    and then create new user account and check.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 2, 2020
Thema:

Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for...

1. Why is it that windows update force restarts the computer and not even bother checking for... - Similar Threads - Why update force

2. Why Bother!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Bother!: What is the sense of giving us the option to disable something, if you’re still going to run it anyways? Why are you hiding user folders in different areas? Why are you not letting us see the location of some files? Why are we not allowed to delete and turn off our own files...
  3. Why Bother!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why Bother!: What is the sense of giving us the option to disable something, if you’re still going to run it anyways? Why are you hiding user folders in different areas? Why are you not letting us see the location of some files? Why are we not allowed to delete and turn off our own files...
  4. Why Bother?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why Bother?: Honestly, people.... why do we bother to beat our heads against this bloated obscenity of an OS that thinks that our PC's are there to serve IT, instead of IT being there to serve US? Do you spend anywhere near this much time in the guts of your car trying to figure out why...
  5. Why Bother?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Bother?: Honestly, people.... why do we bother to beat our heads against this bloated obscenity of an OS that thinks that our PC's are there to serve IT, instead of IT being there to serve US? Do you spend anywhere near this much time in the guts of your car trying to figure out why...
  6. Why Bother?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Why does Windows Update bother to show update status?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does Windows Update bother to show update status?: I've been applying updates to my windows machines today. Earlier one said Downloading 0% for about 20 minutes, meanwhile network activity showed megabytes coming in. Now another update says "Downloading 100%", but the network activity still shows more megabytes streaming in....
  8. Forced updates, even while computer is in use?

Forced updates, even while computer is in use?: I'm not 100% sure this is the place to be bringing this up. But multiple times in the past few montgs, twice in the past few days, I have had the drivers for my GPU an NVIDIA card stop working after exiting a gane, but I hadn't shut down the computer. Yesterday and today I...
  9. Why did my computer force a restart?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why did my computer force a restart?: I just ran into the "Blue screen of death" where my computer suddenly ran into a problem and needed to restart. I checked the Reliability Monitor, but did not get an explanation. I can only assume it was because of the update I did the day before, but I can't be sure. Here...
  10. Windows update forced restart

Windows update forced restart: Hi, Today my computer forced restarted in order to install new updates. Until now I have to accept updates when I restarted the PC, now - forcing the restart was absolutely unprofessional. I had unsaved documents and other opened applications. Please don't use forced...