Windows 10: Why is media center waking my computer if media center was removed?

Discus and support Why is media center waking my computer if media center was removed? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Still trying to figure out what it is that keeps waking up my computer from sleep. I looked in the event logs and found this: The system has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Traijan, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Traijan Win User

Why is media center waking my computer if media center was removed?

Hi,

Still trying to figure out what it is that keeps waking up my computer from sleep.

I looked in the event logs and found this:
    The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2015‎-‎08‎-‎30T03:12:34.409741300Z
    Wake Time: ‎2015‎-‎08‎-‎30T03:30:51.010471500Z

Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center\mcupdate_scheduled' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

What I don't understand is why is mcupdate waking the computer if Media Center was removed from Windows 10.

But more importantly how do I stop this from happening?

Thanks

:)

Traijan, Aug 29, 2015
  2. Thomas JD Win User

Windows turns monitor on at night.

I would turn my computer off, and it would turn itself back on. Sometimes immediately, sometimes randomly, but always overnight.

I went into Command and typed: powercfg /lastwake

The last wake was caused by a 'NT Task/.../Media Center/update'

I had Media Center on 7, before I upgraded to 10. It turns out Media Center was still trying to update itself, but getting errors (Microsoft removed Media Center from 10 [which sucks]). I went into Task Scheduler > Library > Microsoft > Media Center and
    there was the scheduled task at 2:20AM.

I just deleted the task ... and hoping it stops.

Sure is a waste of electricity ... having the computer, and screen, running from 2:20AM until I get up

Thomas JD, Aug 29, 2015
  3. mirceani Win User
    3:30 am wake up

Thank you

I might have found the issue - a task named "mcupdate" scheduled every day at 3:30 am

I disabled it and last night machine did not wake up.

Wondering WHY "mcupdate - Media Center Update" was scheduled, when Windows 10 was stripped of this component, Media Center.

mirceani, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Check your task scheduler to ensure there is no task under media center. If there is, delete it.

Why is media center waking my computer if media center was removed? [​IMG]

Snakeyes, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Upgrade or clean install? The upgrade could have left cruft(unwanted/unneeded software leftovers) on your system. Just do like Snakeyes said. And when you get the time, and haven't done a clean install yet, get your software installers(can always save the ones from updates) and drivers specific to your PC and do one.

Cliff S, Aug 29, 2015
  6. Traijan Win User
    Okay, so there seems to be a lot of tasks under media center. I don't want to mess things up so am I really to delete "ALL" of these tasks:

Why is media center waking my computer if media center was removed? [​IMG]

Yes, this was an upgrade. I'm not prepared to do a clean install as we've got too slow of an internet connection and I'd have to download a lot of software (oh, how I long for the days when I could just grab a DVD/CD out of my software case and re-install it). But I'll eventually get around to it once I've re-downloaded most of the software that I have bought over the years but which is only available via download.

Traijan, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    I can understand, I have been using pre-paid mobile broadband for a few years, and get my fiber-optic connection this coming Thursday.*Smile

back to your problem... Instead of deleting the tasks, I recommend disabling them first to make sure there will be no ill effects to your system.

Cliff S, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Snakeyes Win User

Great point. Sorry I missed that.

Snakeyes, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is media center waking my computer if media center was removed? - Similar Threads - Why media center

2. WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER: WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center/7ef9a367-cb07-4ff3-9807-5476cb2d7c78
  3. Media center 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media center 8.1: Every time I close the media center I have to go through the set up every time I open it, dose anyone know how to fix this.Last time I went through the set up I only minimised it and let the pc go to sleep, when I oped it a few days later it was still working till I closed...
  4. Window Media Center

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window Media Center: how do i conncet my pc to window media https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-media-center/1eab3dec-0a3e-482a-8ee3-ee4d29a3cf0d
  5. windows media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows media center: how to i get the internet tv to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-center/51d4e124-c330-4adc-ab56-07efefc6d65b
  6. Media center software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media center software: I did purchase windows media center software and installed on my xp version new gave new PC with windows 10 can I transfer to it media center software I already have purchase or need to buy new again ?...
  7. Media center

Media center: Hi, upgraded my computer to window 10 pro but no longer able to get media center, used to play a slideshow of my best photo,s whilst listing to my music. can anyone recommend a replacement for this task. thank you regards...
  8. Media Center Library

Media Center Library: Using Media Center Library, how do I add a new photo to an existing photo folder? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-center-library/01bebacd-ca48-458e-99e5-4658d18124d1"
  9. Roku and media center

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Roku and media center: I would like to be able to access media center through roku https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roku-and-media-center/b88851f0-56ef-41de-8ee8-015a756ab6b5
  10. Windows Media Center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center: I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key *Party Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center. 1963