Windows 10: Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law?

Discus and support Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law? in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I purchased a new Dell XPS 13 9350 Core i5 128GB Signature Edition Laptop, through Microsoft Online Shop - total cost $1,899.00. It broke within the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by BJensen_pi, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law?

I purchased a new Dell XPS 13 9350 Core i5 128GB Signature Edition Laptop, through Microsoft Online Shop - total cost $1,899.00.

It broke within the first 2 months, Microsoft told me to call Dell direct to organise fix I wasn't aware that this was incorrect procedure from the get go was advised both by Microsoft and Dell that I needed to register laptop. The Microsoft/ Dell consultant got extremelly angry at me after I gave him my Dell XPS serial number, he accused me of stealing the laptop. I obviously questioned this as I did not steal the laptop and eventually after alot of effort as he did not want to tell me why he assumed this of me I found out the reason. It was because my Dell XPS serial number was already registered to someone else.
    At that point I was not aware of my Australian Consumer Rights, it's easy to see now I was sold a refurbished Dell XPS laptop disguised as a brand new Dell Laptop via Microsoft Online Shop. I should have recieved a NEW laptop as that is what I paid for. The fact the laptop was still registered under someone elses name proves the laptop was therefore already used.
    After jumping through numerous hoops and delays I finally sent it off to get fixed and after it was returned, straight away I noticed the Laptop was running slower then before - I called and had to get it fixed again, the microsoft consultant told me it 'could be due to the refurbised parts in the laptop" still I thought this was normal as I wasnt aware of my rights.

over the next few years in warranty the Laptop broke down another 4-5 times and I had to have it repaired - but once the warranty was finished I was told I had to pay $500 to fix the problem as it was a motherboard issue. Fed up I bought a new $899 Acer Laptop but I have never liked this laptop and I want my Dell XPS replaced with a new Dell XPS laptop.
    Over the last 6 months I have called Microsoft on 1800267785 and given them refrence number #1488755716, I was told this was the only number that could help me, I researched alot on google but theres no direct number or even Australian number to help with refunds of warranties under Australian Consumer law. After I call that number I am then transffered to 'another number' which they can not provide the direct number for, the reason I always ask them for that number is because over the last 2 months I have been hung up on 6 times, left on silent hold for longer than 45 minutes 4 times, transffered to the wrong departments totalling 30 minutes of wasted call time and not going to correct department 8 times.

Still to this day Microsoft can not provide the correct number or department for me to raise this concern with, Microsoft says I am NOT entitled to a new product replacement or refund even though I don't want a refund only due to the Dell XPS being out of warranty. I have been told by numerous Microsoft consultants that they are unaware of Australian Consumer Law and I should speak to Dell Technical Support...
    When I spoke with Dell they seemed much more eductaed on Australian Consumer Law and were the ones who told me as I had purchased the Dell XPS via the microsoft online shop that they are the ones who now need to fix and compensate me for this issue.

The last person I spoke to at Microsoft who did not understand what I was trying to achieve, told me to call the Australian police - after all the calls and hoops I am exhausted. I told him I had tried to fix this direct with Microsoft but from the looks of it I would be stuck in a never ending cycle of nothing due to lack of competance. I also advised the consultant I would be be placing a formal complaint against Microsft and its disregard to Australian Consumer Law with the ACCC - to which he replied "what's that mean?"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/ecif/australian-consumer-law - this explains exaclty what I am entitled to, shame the website they created to handle this NO LONGER EXISTS and has not exissted for nearly 1 year - pretty much sums up Microsoft.. https://www.microsoftfeedback.com.au/

:)

BJensen_pi, Jan 19, 2020
  2. James C-S Win User

Australian Marketplace Tax Law Compliance

I was just looking at a "purchase confirmation" that I received for a game I purchased on my Windows Phone and noticed that it is not compliant with Australian tax law.

The invoice showed the amount of the software without the GST and then added the GST to get the total. Australian tax law requires that each line item show the price with the GST inclusive, but still show the GST with the words "GST included in the total" (or
    equiv) at the bottom before the total.

Also the words "Tax Invoice" must appear on the invoice (or purchase confirmation).

Just thought I bring this to the forum's attention.

Cheers.

James.

James C-S, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    The Australian Newspaper

Hi Alexander,

There are a lot of factor for this issue to occur. To isolate this matter, we have some questions for you:

• How do you access the Australian News? Is it through browsing the internet or through an application?

• Can you access the Australian News before the issue occurred?

• Were there any changes made before the issue occurred?

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jan 19, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law?

Valve Fined by Australian Federal Court for Not Offering Refunds

Valve Software, which through its Steam platform sells and supports games and software on behalf of other game publishers, has been fined AU $3 million by an Australian Federal Court for "misleading consumers," and for not conducting commerce in line with the local consumer protection norms, which guarantee Australian consumers a host of remedies that include refunds, if a product or service purchased doesn't live up to its marketed standards.

The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) in 2014 pulled up Valve for not offering a satisfactory refunds system to Australian consumers. The case, heard by a Federal Court, after two appeals by Valve against penalties, ordered Valve to pay up AU $3 million in fine, and set up a consumer-satisfaction system in line with Australian Consumer Law. As a private company (not listed on any stock exchange), Valve is not obligated to reveal its net-worth, which was estimated by the press in various points in time. It was valued at USD $3 billion in 2012. Its founder Gabe Newell has an estimated net-worth of $5.5 billion, according to a Forbes report.

Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law? l0M6oDOG0nfbYJvF_thm.jpg

Source: GameRevolution

btarunr, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law?

1. Why is Microsoft allowed to break Australian Consumer Law? - Similar Threads - Why Microsoft allowed

2. Why is McAfee and Norton even allowed to do what they do , it is against the law ! I was...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is McAfee and Norton even allowed to do what they do , it is against the law ! I was...: Cot of McAfee and Norton , they can no longer do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-mcafee-and-norton-even-allowed-to-do-what/42dc7c79-5ae3-4424-ac44-62f4b5758148
  3. Why is McAfee and Norton even allowed to do what they do , it is against the law ! I was...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is McAfee and Norton even allowed to do what they do , it is against the law ! I was...: Cot of McAfee and Norton , they can no longer do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-mcafee-and-norton-even-allowed-to-do-what/42dc7c79-5ae3-4424-ac44-62f4b5758148
  4. Why are Microsoft consumer products so bad?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why are Microsoft consumer products so bad?: Of course the answer is in the question. Microsoft doesn't care about consumers. They don't have any money and they don't know anything about computers.That is where professional users come in. They have lots of money and they don't know anything about computers. I am old and...
  5. Why are Microsoft consumer products so bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are Microsoft consumer products so bad?: Of course the answer is in the question. Microsoft doesn't care about consumers. They don't have any money and they don't know anything about computers.That is where professional users come in. They have lots of money and they don't know anything about computers. I am old and...
  6. Why are Microsoft consumer products so bad?

7. Is this legal? Is Microsoft breaking the law?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this legal? Is Microsoft breaking the law?: Re Windows 11 email app delivering email in html. I just got an email from the Los Angeles County Court re my legally required jury duty. The aol email delivered to my Windows 11 email app is in html and is unreadable. The Windows 11 email app html bug has been going on for...
  8. Is this legal? Is Microsoft breaking the law?

Is this legal? Is Microsoft breaking the law?: Re Windows 11 email app delivering email in html. I just got an email from the Los Angeles County Court re my legally required jury duty. The aol email delivered to my Windows 11 email app is in html and is unreadable. The Windows 11 email app html bug has been going on for...
  9. Microsoft in Australian Homes ?

in Cortana
    Microsoft in Australian Homes ?: Hi This one is very general. Is Australia ever going to get the surface duo ? Is Australia likely to get home automation from via Microsoft ? When one talks with people, the only words they know are google and amazon ?...
  10. australian Cortana?

in Windows 10 Customization
    australian Cortana?: Anyone knows how to install Australian Cortana or it still a myth. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/australian-cortana/7e471017-d8c7-4a9f-a2fe-d1012048359d