Windows 10: Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files?

Discus and support Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I ran the MSERT. It found infected files. No report was produced. Why? So are the files removed or not?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by KarenCollins_1956, Oct 17, 2023.

1. Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files?

I ran the MSERT. It found infected files. No report was produced. Why? So are the files removed or not?

:)

KarenCollins_1956, Oct 17, 2023

2. MSERT

I ran MSERT said it found 4 infected files, so where do I find the report? How do I purge these infected files?

Sam Marlow, Oct 17, 2023
  3. Microsoft Safety Scanner > Files Infected count

There's a bit of a UX problem with the scanner. As it is running it may encounter files that are suspected of being infected but indicate a count as: "Files Infected: XX"

This suggests the files are infected and apparently no list of these potentially infected files are provided.

1. Change the label to "Possible Infected Files"
    2. Write to the msert log the list of possibly infected files for further review/action.
    I say this as I let the tool run for over 3 hours, racking up over 20 "Files Infected". My computer was disconnected from the Internet during the scan. So I was surprised that the files in question were somehow "cleared" despite a lack of Internet connection.

From the log:

Results Summary:

----------------

No infection found.

Failed to submit MAPS report: 0x80072EE7

Failed to submit clean hearbeat MAPS report: 0x80072EE7

Microsoft Safety Scanner Finished On Sun Apr 30 13:20:56 2023

If the suspected files couldn't be submitted, then how were they cleared? Which files were suspected?

I appreciate the tool just cannot trust the results.

JasonNeiman, Oct 17, 2023
  4. quietman7 Win User

Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files?

MSERT scanned 23 files infected, viruses/malware

If the Microsoft Safety Scanner shows clean (no detections found) when finished, then it's most likely that MSERT suspected a possible threat during the scan, displayed it as such (infected files) but determined the file(s) were not an actual confirmed threat(s) upon completion.

Keep in mind that Microsoft Safety Scanner (MSERT) is intended to be a supplement to an existing anti-virus program (not a replacement).

quietman7, Oct 17, 2023
Thema:

Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files?

1. Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files? - Similar Threads - Why MSERT producing

2. MSERT reruns keep showing infected files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSERT reruns keep showing infected files: Hello!I ran MSERT the first time and it showed 7 infected files, but at the end only one was listed as removed VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore. I ran the MSERT twice after that restarted my laptop after every run and infected files number went up to 11 but it said no...
  3. MSERT reruns keep showing infected files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MSERT reruns keep showing infected files: Hello!I ran MSERT the first time and it showed 7 infected files, but at the end only one was listed as removed VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore. I ran the MSERT twice after that restarted my laptop after every run and infected files number went up to 11 but it said no...
  4. MSERT finds about 40 infected files and then says there are zero infected files. Why does...

MSERT finds about 40 infected files and then says there are zero infected files. Why does...: How do I know if these are really infected files?Why are they still there?Is it better to run the version from the command prompt in administer mode?I have been problems with hackers and spam emails. Is there any way to forward these to Microsoft to see if you can find...
  5. MSERT finds about 40 infected files and then says there are zero infected files. Why does...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSERT finds about 40 infected files and then says there are zero infected files. Why does...: How do I know if these are really infected files?Why are they still there?Is it better to run the version from the command prompt in administer mode?I have been problems with hackers and spam emails. Is there any way to forward these to Microsoft to see if you can find...
  6. Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files?

Why is MSERT is not producing a report even when it finds infected files?: I ran the MSERT. It found infected files. No report was produced. Why? So are the files removed or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-msert-is-not-producing-a-report-even-when/640f8173-271d-4b45-889e-7b5843276c83
  7. MSERT Reports 21 Infections But Report Says Its Clean...The MSERT.txt log also just reports...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSERT Reports 21 Infections But Report Says Its Clean...The MSERT.txt log also just reports...: I ran a full MSERT scan and it showed 21 infections while it was runningWhen it finished the report indicated that it was clean...no infectionsI dug into Windows C:/Windows/debug/msert.txt and it just showed the final reportNo detail about the infectionsI looked at time...
  8. MSERT finds "viruses", then reports none

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MSERT finds "viruses", then reports none: I just ran MSERT, my go to "double check" for viruses my machine is well protected.While running last night it showed 85 viruses etc had been found. But when it finished this morning it reported that the scan had completed successfully, and no viruses etc had been...
  9. MSERT finds "viruses", then reports none

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSERT finds "viruses", then reports none: I just ran MSERT, my go to "double check" for viruses my machine is well protected.While running last night it showed 85 viruses etc had been found. But when it finished this morning it reported that the scan had completed successfully, and no viruses etc had been...
  10. MSERT finds "viruses", then reports none