Windows 10: Why is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK.

Discus and support Why is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Alright. W10 Pro, Build 1803... This is a bit complex. I have a SSD as Drive C: and a HDD as Drive D: - both internal in the desktop case. For the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Compumind, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

Why is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK.

Alright. W10 Pro, Build 1803...

This is a bit complex. I have a SSD as Drive C: and a HDD as Drive D: - both internal in the desktop case.
    For the past day or so, I have been noticing a low grumbling/grinding noise coming from Drive D: - the HDD.

I ran a few test programs on it and when I commanded the drive to spin down, or invoke a HDD diagnostic program, the problem quickly abated. The "noise" is very low and suddenly starts for awhile, stops and then starts again.

All SMART tests pass just fine.

Recently, I enabled 256-bit BitLocker on both the SSD (Drive CWhy is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK. :) and the HDD (Drive DWhy is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK. :) and I wonder if that might have something to do with it. My gut feeling is that the HDD is just fine and software is causing this effect. System is from mid-June and is essentially new. I turned of almost all system services with no luck. Only upon the boot process does it begin to emit the low sound.

I wanted to get some thoughts from my buddies here before I do anything more substantial. What's weird is that the sound goes away for awhile and then comes back, as it is being read or written to, but I cannot pin it down using a variety of methods. The system is very quiet and that low droning noise caught my ear over the past day.

As always, I welcome your thoughts.

Thanks! *Sleepy

:)

Compumind, Nov 7, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Fan making grinding noise

If you're hearing a grinding noise from one (or more) of the fans in your computer, that's a hardware problem. It means one or more of three things:

1- the fan is dirty;

2- the lubrication inside the fan's motor has become dry; or

3- the fan assembly is starting to come apart.

Drivers or other software are not involved nor are they a cure.

This is something you need to fix ASAP. Without the cooling provided by those fans, your computer will quickly overheat and fail.

If you know how to open your computer's case and blow out dust and debris with a can of compressed air, by all means do so , or get someone else to do that. If removing dust and debris
    eliminates the grinding noise, you are good to go. If the grinding noise persists then you must determine which fan or fans is/are making the noise and replace them.

The cooling fans installed by OEMs (computer manufacturers) are whatever is cheapest this week. If you keep your computer long enough, you'll end up replacing them. (Install something of better quality.)

BulldogXX, Nov 7, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User

Hi rdldn

If your fan is making a grinding noise, that would be an issue with the fan . . .

If your fan is running at top speed, then something on your system s using up CPU or GPU

Open Task Manager (Ctrl +Shift + Del)

Leave that open on the Processes Tab to monitor your system

When your fan is very busy, is your CPU or GPU at a high percentage?

(GPU - depending on your version of Windows 10)

If so, click on the relevant column header, so the arrow faces down

What are the top 5 processes listed?

DaveM121, Nov 7, 2018
  4. rdldn Win User

My fan is making a terrible grinding noise. It runs loud and also pulses at times. I called tech support. They wanted $90 to fix. What is causing this? The mentioned something about fan drivers (and other drivers not working properly). How can
    I fix it?

rdldn, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK. - Similar Threads - Why 2nd Drive

2. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD making Loud Spinning Noise: Hello,I have an Asus X571GT laptop.Two days ago, I start my day waking my laptop from sleep/hibernate mode, and go shower.I come back from the shower and I hear my HDD making a LOUD WHIRLING noise. Coming from the bottom right of the laptop. Picture attachedAs of the fan is...
  3. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD making Loud Spinning Noise: Hello,I have an Asus X571GT laptop.Two days ago, I start my day waking my laptop from sleep/hibernate mode, and go shower.I come back from the shower and I hear my HDD making a LOUD WHIRLING noise. Coming from the bottom right of the laptop. Picture attachedAs of the fan is...
  4. HDD making Loud Spinning Noise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. GPU Making Grinding Noise

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU Making Grinding Noise: I haven't been able to use my desktop PC for weeks due to this grinding noise coming from the GPU fan I believe(I know for sure it's not the hard drive nor the fan so I've not been too worried.). I have opened it up inspected it etc. and don't really know what else to do I'm...
  6. SERIOUS PROBLEM: HDD Making Noise?

SERIOUS PROBLEM: HDD Making Noise?: Hi all, I was just cleaning out my PC tower when I accidentally dropped my phone on the HDD that stores all my data... Now, 10 minutes later it's making this "wheezing" noise that I've never heard it make before. Is there anything I can do to check if it has been damaged?...
  7. Why is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK.

Why is my 2nd Drive (HDD) making a low grinding noise? All seems OK.: Alright. Time for group consultation... W10 Pro, Build 1803... This is a bit complex. I have a SSD as Drive C: and a HDD as Drive D: - both internal in the desktop case. For the past day or so, I have been noticing a low grumbling/grinding noise coming from Drive D: - the...
  8. Fan making grinding noise

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fan making grinding noise: My fan is making a terrible grinding noise. It runs loud and also pulses at times. I called tech support. They wanted $90 to fix. What is causing this? The mentioned something about fan drivers (and other drivers not working properly). How can I fix it?...
  9. Fan making grinding noise

Fan making grinding noise: My fan is making a terrible grinding noise. It runs loud and also pulses at times. I called tech support. They wanted $90 to fix. What is causing this? The mentioned something about fan drivers (and other drivers not working properly). How can I fix it?...
  10. GPU Grinding Noise

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU Grinding Noise: My GPU is the GTX 970. It's started making an odd noise when I play games. The game in question is very hard on the video card, but it runs it with no performance or temperature issues. The average temperature when playing is 55-65 Celsius. It only happens while I'm playing...