Windows 10: Why is my committed memory so high? And how do I clear it without restarting my PC?

Discus and support Why is my committed memory so high? And how do I clear it without restarting my PC? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/lateant [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lateant, May 22, 2020.

1. Why is my committed memory so high? And how do I clear it without restarting my PC?

/u/lateant, May 22, 2020

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, May 22, 2020
  3. RoyDuggan Win User
    Windows Commit memory leaks away at about 8GB/Hour

System is 32GBRam, from reboot I show commit memory of approx 6GB commted over the following 30 mins this ramps up to say 13.3/65.8 Gb

after a number of hours and the end of the days the system becomes unstable as commit memory hits maximum, and I have to reboot

I have ensured all updates are applied and monitored commit memory by process (in resource monitor) this shows no change in committed memory by process so the no suspect process is in the list.

What steps of diagnosis would anyone recommend....

RoyDuggan, May 22, 2020
  4. Why is my committed memory so high? And how do I clear it without restarting my PC?

Committed memory in Windows 10 is very high even though Resource Monitor does not show any application with high commit

I'm using Windows 10 Pro version 1703 build 15063.296 in Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro '15. This setup has been running fine for two years until the last big Windows 10 update. Now I'm constantly getting out of memory errors. The laptop has 16GB of RAM which is never close to full. The committed memory though is maxing out. When I check to see what program is using a high amount of committed memory in Resource Monitor, everything is pretty low, usually less than 500MB. Windows will say Firefox or Chrome is using too much memory, but I can't find any evidence of this with Task Manager, Resource Monitor or Process Explorer.

How can I find what is actually using up all the committed memory and crashing my computer?

Here are some screenshots of the process list while the commit charge is extremely high. I had to close Chrome and Slack just to free up enough memory to take a screenshot.
    Resource Monitor Process List

Committed Memory

powerCLIRules, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Why is my committed memory so high? And how do I clear it without restarting my PC?

1. Why is my committed memory so high? And how do I clear it without restarting my PC? - Similar Threads - Why committed memory

2. Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is my memory usage so high but I have nothing open?: I have been having this problem for about a year now. I have an Alienware Aurora R9 Windows 11 PC with 32gb of ram but even with everything closed, it's using 31.8gb. I have already scanned for viruses. Any game that I try to play has frequent lag spikes....
  3. Why is my memory usage so high?

Why is my memory usage so high?: I restarted my computer twice, I'm running very few applications I just opened the browser to ask this question. Yet my memory usage is almost 100% and my laptop is running very slow. My CPU and Disk usage are staying high too. It became a problem all of the sudden and the...
  4. Why is my memory usage so high?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my memory usage so high?: I restarted my computer twice, I'm running very few applications I just opened the browser to ask this question. Yet my memory usage is almost 100% and my laptop is running very slow. My CPU and Disk usage are staying high too. It became a problem all of the sudden and the...
  5. Why is my memory usage so high?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Why my laptop's memory is so high ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my laptop's memory is so high ?: Why my laptop's memory is so high ? and also why chrome is having 9 while i have just 2 tabs open. i have cleaned everything which is not needed still laptop is hanging it is so traumatizing as it has been just 10 months to this device...
  7. Why my laptop's memory is so high ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my laptop's memory is so high ?: Why my laptop's memory is so high ? and also why chrome is having 9 while i have just 2 tabs open. i have cleaned everything which is not needed still laptop is hanging it is so traumatizing as it has been just 10 months to this device...
  8. Why my laptop's memory is so high ?

9. How do I commit more memory? It says only .8/2.5 committed.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I commit more memory? It says only .8/2.5 committed.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Sirjackallot_25 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gu9r0g/how_do_i_commit_more_memory_it_says_only_825/
  10. How do i clear my virtual memory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do i clear my virtual memory: Hello, I am trying to clear some storage on my laptop so that I could update it. And I was just wondering if its possible to clear the virtual memory... Windows says I only need 2.28 more gigs of storage. [ATTACH] does anyone know how to clear the virtual memory on my...