Windows 10: Why is my computer running when it sleeps?

Discus and support Why is my computer running when it sleeps? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've had an issue for the last two years and it's getting really frustrating. I wasn't able to pinpoint what exactly causes the error but I'm now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by keliason, Mar 19, 2020.

1. keliason Win User

Why is my computer running when it sleeps?

I've had an issue for the last two years and it's getting really frustrating. I wasn't able to pinpoint what exactly causes the error but I'm now seeing a symptom that seems regular enough.
    Basically, my laptop Dell XPS 15 9550 has sleep problems. At first, I'd notice that when I'd get home, my computer would be super hot even though it was closed. It seemed to be running even though it should be asleep. I'd also notice that if it did seem to sleep, it'd wake up with the battery drained completely. I figured that I shouldn't just close the lid anymore and assume it would sleep properly, so I've started to select "Sleep" from the power icon in the start menu which seems to normally work. I've started to notice that occasionally when I do this, the screen will turn off, the backlighting in the keyboard would turn off, and the computer would sound like it would sleep, however, the light on the power button would stay on. When this happens, I can't wake it. I'll press all the keys, the mouse buttons, close the lid and open it, nothing. If it tap the power button, nothing. The only thing I can do is hold the power button down until it shuts off, which means I lose whatever I was working on.

I've tried posting in other forums and people think all sorts of things. Anybody here who can help me figure this out? I'd be so grateful.

:)

keliason, Mar 19, 2020
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Computer sleeping

Hi,

For us to better understand your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer before encountering the issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?
    • Is you computer going to sleep while you're using it?
    • How many minutes does it take before your computer goes to sleep?
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Argel Obm, Mar 19, 2020
  3. 56Kruiser Win User
    Computer will not sleep.

My computer that I've just installed Win 10 on wakes immediately after putting to sleep.

I've tried all things listed in this thread.

I've gone into the event viewer and filtered on Power Troubleshooter in Event sources for waking, and it indicates Unknown Source.

I've check to see that the NW Adapter is set to allow wake, magic packets only.

The Allow Wake Timers in Power settings is set to Important Wake Timers only.

I've disconnected all USB devices just for testing the sleep.

I've run out of ideas. I'll be searching more on Google. But if any other thoughts/suggestions, it's appreciated.

56Kruiser, Mar 19, 2020
  4. David Haz Win User

After Windows 10 Anniversary Update Computer Not Sleeping

Hello.

Does disabling the HID-Complaint Touch Screen driver resolves the issue? If yes, we suggest that you disable it and see if your device go into Sleep mode after a period of inactivity.

We also suggest to check if the settings of the Power Options of your device are set so that the device will go into Sleep mode after a period of time. You may follow the steps below to check is Sleep mode is enabled on your device:

• Press the Windows button + X, then click on
      Power Options.
    • Click Change when the computer
      sleeps.
    • Change the settings to your preferred settings.

Keep us updated on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Why is my computer running when it sleeps? - Similar Threads - Why computer running

2. Why is my computer slow and still running even when asleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my computer slow and still running even when asleep?: This problem popped up a few weeks ago, and seeing as it hasn't gone away on its own, I figured it's probably time to ask for help.My laptop has been running slower than usual lately, and I don't know why. When it's awake and I'm using it, anything I'm doing moving the mouse,...
  3. Why is my computer slow and still running even when asleep?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is my computer slow and still running even when asleep?: This problem popped up a few weeks ago, and seeing as it hasn't gone away on its own, I figured it's probably time to ask for help.My laptop has been running slower than usual lately, and I don't know why. When it's awake and I'm using it, anything I'm doing moving the mouse,...
  4. Why my computer does not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my computer does not go to sleep?: When i press sleep button on keyboard,my computer goes to sleep but it goes out in sleep and turn on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-computer-does-not-go-to-sleep/1116b08a-5c37-4ca4-88cd-ea0fe3ad2cfe
  5. Why my computer does not go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my computer does not go to sleep?: When i press sleep button on keyboard,my computer goes to sleep but it goes out in sleep and turn on again? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-computer-does-not-go-to-sleep/1116b08a-5c37-4ca4-88cd-ea0fe3ad2cfe
  6. Why won't my computer go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my computer go to sleep?: Once I figured out how long it took my new computer to do a full virus scan, I set it to go to sleep after two hours. After two hours I saw that the On button was flashing, as the On button on my old computer did. However, that computer had a key on the keyboard to tell my...
  7. Why won't my computer go to sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my computer go to sleep?: Once I figured out how long it took my new computer to do a full virus scan, I set it to go to sleep after two hours. After two hours I saw that the On button was flashing, as the On button on my old computer did. However, that computer had a key on the keyboard to tell my...
  8. Why does my new computer sleep when sleep option is set to "never sleep"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does my new computer sleep when sleep option is set to "never sleep": I have a new laptop computer and I have set the sleep option to "Never" when plugged into power. However, it appears to ignore this setting and sleeps anyway. It is a problem because it prevents my printer from working with other computers that share printing.Note that I have...
  9. My computer will not sleep when it is supposed to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My computer will not sleep when it is supposed to sleep: I have updated my monitor and network adaptorsI have updated my motherboard bios, my windows update latest version as of Tuesday, my drivers, my undergarmentsI have turned off Wake On Lan magic bullet on the network adaptorI have turned off allow waketimersI have turned off...
  10. Win10 running "out of memory" when the computer sleeps.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 running "out of memory" when the computer sleeps.: Hello After installing Windows 10 a while back I began seeing a "Your computer is low on memory" error... this error only appears after the computer goes to sleep and is woken up, and never happened on Windows 7 or 8.1. Nothing has changed except for the os The os is on...