Windows 10: Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?

Discus and support Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Everytime I transfer files my speeds are 355kb/s, It used to be 22 mb/s, How can I fix this? submitted by /u/Dupliss18 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Dupliss18, May 27, 2020.

1. Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?

Everytime I transfer files my speeds are 355kb/s, It used to be 22 mb/s, How can I fix this?

submitted by /u/Dupliss18
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Dupliss18, May 27, 2020

2. Slow data transfer speed.

Hi,

One of the possible reason that this issue occurs is due to the driver compatibility after Windows upgrade. For us to isolate the issue, we’ll need the following details:

• What type of data transfer speed are you referring to? Is it internet connection speed or file transfer speed?
    • If you are referring to file transfer speed, are you using USB drive or Bluetooth to process file transfer? or,
    • If you are referring to internet connection speed, are you using Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?
    • Can you tell us any troubleshooting you've done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Efraim Gar, May 27, 2020
  3. USB Transfer speed very slow on windows 10

Try with this

Method 1

Change Hardware Settings for Better Performance

The hardware settings require the external hard drive to remove from your machine safely, so safely disconnect your drive from the computer after finishing all the steps.

Step 1. Open Windows File Explorer and locate your external hard drive. Right-click the external drive icon and choose "Properties" from the drop-down menu.

Step 2. Choose "Hardware" tab, which will display the list of all disks mounted on the particular computer. Select the desired disk you want to improve its transfer performance and click "Properties" at the bottom of the window.

Step 3. In the device properties window select "Change settings".

Step 4. A disk window will pop up. Click the "Policies" tab and select "Optimize for performance".

Step 5. Be alert. You must disconnect the device safely. Right-click the tray icon and click "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device".

Method 2

Turn off Auto-Tuning Feature in Windows 10

Don't let the auto-tuning feature retards the file transfer speed in Windows 10. You can only disable the feature by five steps.

Step 1. Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt(Admin).

Step 2. Type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" and press Enter.

Step 3. Now try to transfer the files and check the data transfer speed.

Step 4. Again go to Command Prompt(Admin) and type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" and press Enter. This will turn on the Auto-tuning again.

Method 3

Check and Repair System Errors

Corrupted Windows 10 file system could disable, interrupt or slow down the file transfer speed, so let's use the System Maintenance Troubleshooter to repair the wrong files.

Step 1. Open Control Panel and click on the Troubleshooting icon.

Step 2. Select View all in the top left corner.

Step 3. Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.

Method 4

Turn Off RDC

RDC or Remote Differential Compression has a similar goal but it utilizes alternative ways to help you synchronize large chunks of data. It compresses the data during the network sync, but it can also be a drawback. That’s why we suggest disabling it. If the
    problem isn’t solved, you can always re-enable it and move onwards through the list.

Here’s how to turn off RDC:

Step 1. In the Windows Search bar, type Turn Windows and open Turn Windows features on or off.

Step 2. Scroll down and uncheck the “Remote Differential Compression API support” box.

Step 3. Confirm changes.

Method 5

Disable Drive Indexing

In order to speed up the access to files stored on the local storage, Windows offers Drive Indexing. When enabled, this feature will index all files and substantially reduce the waiting time when you search for them in File Explorer. This is a great feature
    if you have dozens of similar files which and helps you distinguish them and access them quicker than usual.

However, even though it should work when PC is idle, it sometimes doesn’t. And you can imagine how it can slow the data transfer if starts indexing files while the copying is still at hand.

For that reason, we suggest disabling it. At least temporarily. Here’s how to do it:

Step 1. Open This PC or File Explorer.

Step 2. Right-click on the partition you want to relieve of indexing and open Properties.

Step 3. Uncheck the “Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties” box and restart your PC.

Method 6

Disable your antivirus

In a similar manner, as Drive Indexing can slow down copying, an antivirus might, as well. Of course, instead of indexing, it’s real-time engine might scan them for malware presence. Besides slowing down the transfer, it can also affect the whole system and
    hog on the resources. Which adds up to an already heavy burden. That’s the reason why you should disable it until all files are transferred. Obviously, you would want to enable it afterward.

Here’s how to disable Windows Defender:

Step 1. Open Windows Defender Action Center from the notification area.

Step 2. Choose Virus & threat protection.

Step 3. Under the Virus & threat protection settings, click Manage settings.

Step 4. Toggle off Real-time protection.

MarvinStewart1, May 27, 2020
  4. treyswild Win User

Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?

Extremely slow intranet file transfer speed

Windows 10 Pro
    Build: 1709
    OS Build: 16299.309

I have three pc's on my home network. One had windows 10 from the factory the other two were Win 7 and 8.1 and all were experiencing 70-90MB/sec file transfer speeds. My internet was and still is 60MB/sec. After upgrading to windows 10 the file transfer speeds went to 5-8MB/sec. Internet speed is unaffected.

I have followed many forums and tried every suggestion and nothing has resolved this issue. The last big windows 10 update did slow down the native windows 10 machine from 70-90MB/sec to 50-60MB/sec. Also, the native Win 10 machine is connecting via wifi and others via ethernet (wired)
    Any new ideas? Yes, latest drivers. Yes, Large Offload is disabled and many other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

treyswild, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow?

1. Why is my computers file transfer speed very slow? - Similar Threads - Why computers file

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  5. file transfer now very slow

file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  6. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  7. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. 10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    10Gbe Ethernet: Very low throughput / slow transfer speed: Hi there, I recently added a Intel X550-T1 NIC to my Windows machine. Now after doing some tests I noticed the throughput is only about 2.5 GBits/s (using iperf3 for testing). Same test performed using an Ubuntu Live Boot Stick yielded me a throughput of about 9 GBits/s....
  9. USB Transfer speed very slow on windows 10

USB Transfer speed very slow on windows 10: I am trying to transfer some files from my PC to flash drive and it is transferring the files very slowly. The speed it is giving is around 3-4 MB/s only. I have checked my flash drive on another computer and it is working fine. I tried reinstalling windows and it worked. I...
  10. File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random

File transfer speeds over LAN network (wired) - very slow, random: ok folks.......i am begging someone on here to help me - on the verge of going back to windows 7. Tried everything. help me. please. i have an x99 chipset pc, i7 5820k, 16gb ram, gtx nvidia 970 - its a good pc (meant to be anyway............). it's connected directly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 slow file transfer for over 9 000 files