Windows 10: Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%?

Discus and support Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My cpu is alway running at 100% since yesterday, I tried closing all app except task manager to see if it was that but it was still running at 100%.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by William Ste-Croix, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%?

My cpu is alway running at 100% since yesterday, I tried closing all app except task manager to see if it was that but it was still running at 100%. Afterward I ran an antivirus scan with kaspersky and it found nothing wrong with my pc. I also tried going into BIOS and enabled AMD cool and quiet since some people said it might help out but in the end it didnt. I searched for driver update and found nothing wrong with them. The strange thing is only task manager says that my cpu is being used at 100%, other application I have says it's being used normally. I saw some other post talking about going in msconfig.exe and stopping everything on startup but that didn't work either.

Task manager saying 100% cpu:

Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%? 6137ab49-31f5-490b-8aed-f9cb39d4f857?upload=true.png

Same thing with this graph:

Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%? 51b2fb03-876d-4130-9923-0f6e03032bc3?upload=true.png

System idle process is using 99% of it:

Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%? 4416bdd6-beb6-45c6-aab2-5f8d4e2e32fc?upload=true.png

my AMD software is saying it's not even being used at 10%:

Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%? e56b488c-1968-447f-87d0-dadffac89d80?upload=true.png

:)

William Ste-Croix, Jun 24, 2020

2. CPU Usage 100% and idle process is 100%

My CPU usage shows permanently 100% in task manager (in "Processes" tab) even my system idle process (in "Details" tab) is almost 100% and the CPU runs hot - fan is permanently on - CPU speed (in "Performance" tab) is always a bit above maximum speed!!!
    McAfee doen't show any virus problem. HP Spectre.

OttoFluder, Jun 24, 2020
  3. System Idle Process CPU Allocation?

Hi,

I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help.

System Idle Process, as the name suggests is a process that indicates CPU is idle and is not being used, aka is at rest. This is done to totalize CPU usage to 100 between the processes.

So you do not have to worry about anything.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%?

System Idle Process High CPU Usage

The system idle process tells you for how much of the time the CPU is twiddling its thumbs. The higher the figure, the better! A totally idle CPU would show 100% for the system idle process.

Frederik Long, Jun 24, 2020
Thema:

Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%?

1. Why is my cpu alway at 100% even when system idle process takes up 99%? - Similar Threads - Why cpu alway

2. System Idle Process high cpu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Idle Process high cpu: Lately my pc lagging alot And I checked it In task manager And I found System Idle Process get high cpu can you pls help me to solve it I reset the pc but still the same isue...
  3. High CPU usage of System process when idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage of System process when idle: Hi my pc:108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SS I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 1 month ago with new pc. But have new issue....
  4. “System” process uses 30%cpu when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “System” process uses 30%cpu when idle: Sometimes the “system” process ( not to be confused with system idle process) will start to use 30% cpu when idle for about 5 minutes. Once I move my mouse, it stops. If I leave it takes about 20 minutes before it stops. I remember I did a complete Windows reinstall (deleted...
  5. CPU goes to 100% even when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU goes to 100% even when idle: Windows 10 Pro, i7 6th gen, 16 gigs of ram running on a Dell latitude 7470 machine. The processor goes to a 100 quite often and makes the fan run at full speed. As soon I open the task manager, the percentage comes down and the fan turns itself off. Any solution will help....
  6. High CPU usage of System process when idle

High CPU usage of System process when idle: The System process uses amost a whole thread of CPU after PC is idle for a few minutes, and stops using CPU as far as I do something such as moving mouse or pressing keyboards. I tried to see the CPU usage per thread of System process by using a process explorer running in...
  7. CPU at 100% due to System idle process

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CPU at 100% due to System idle process: I'm wondering why my CPU workload stays always at 95-100% due to System idle process. I can hear the fan spinning at max speed, and it's pretty annoying. Sorry for the italian language in the screenshot. What could be the cause? [ATTACH]...
  8. Systems Interupts is taking up 100% of the cpu

Systems Interupts is taking up 100% of the cpu: Almost every time I open up Task Manager, System interrupts is taking up 100% of the CPU. Can anyone help me fix this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/systems-interupts-is-taking-up-100-of-the-cpu/56f9f53c-ca2d-40fc-94ee-fa8fc7a3aa6e
  9. Inactive system proceses is taking 99% of my cpu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Inactive system proceses is taking 99% of my cpu: Hello I will start by this, recently I had a lot of frame drops when I played video games but that issue started after a windows update I reinstalled it and it worked ok until now. About a week ago frame drops came back I tried everything from installing new drivers to...
  10. CPU usage 100% but system idle process says otherwise

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU usage 100% but system idle process says otherwise: Hello, So I was copying a large group of files (400 gigs) to an external drive, it was about 150 gigs in when the PC crashed ( i believe due to MSI usb speed up), i've since removed the MSI program but CPU usage stays at 100% from the moment the PC turns on, however system...