Windows 10: Why is my Disk 0 C: is at 100% for all Windows 10 computer?

Discus and support Why is my Disk 0 C: is at 100% for all Windows 10 computer? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; To whom it may about to assist, All of my Windows 10 computers and laptops having the Disk 0 C: at 100% when I first booted up the system.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by VietMa, Feb 8, 2020.

1. VietMa Win User

Why is my Disk 0 C: is at 100% for all Windows 10 computer?

To whom it may about to assist,

All of my Windows 10 computers and laptops having the Disk 0 C: at 100% when I first booted up the system. Eventually, 10 min - 30min or so it will drop. I google many solutions, which involve in updates the Windows and removing super fetch and other 10 steps procedure, but it is still a consistent problem. I am attempting to go directly to the Windows Support Team to see if there are any other options. Please advise.

Best regards,

Viet

:)

VietMa, Feb 8, 2020
  2. novanilla Win User

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Disk 0 Usage 100

I agree. This entire thread has appeared unproductive as this issue continues. The one point perhaps that has not been discussed appears to be that even though the disk 0 usage is at 100% the processes running never add up to 100percent. for example at 24%
    usage there are 10 processes listed as using 0.1 mb/sec which totals 1MB /sec. from that one could assume that at 100% the processes may total 4MB/sec but I routinely see the system process spike upwards of 25Mb/sec and after any usage climbs over 7mb/sec
    the disk 0 reads at 100%. also the running processes are never the same. there is no one process which creates the issue.

A better solution would be for Microsoft to explain the point and purpose of the disk usage, and how it is reported. it is reported at the top as a percentage and in the row as a transfer speed. (mb/s).

The question is what is up with that specifically, how do I determine the max transfer speed of disc 0, and at what point will system performance slow to an unacceptable user level? when it does what are the steps to take to identify and resolve the issue?

novanilla, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Kent Nord Win User
    Task Manager has Disk at 100% when only 0 - 3 mg are shown as used

I have:

1) Formatted my disk and partitioned it as needed for Windows 10

1) Installed Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit

2) Disabled Superfetch

3) Disabled Windows Search

4) Disabled BITS

5) Uninstalled Skype and SkypeHost.exe

6) Set MSISupported to "0" in registry

After each step I would reboot my computer and get the same problem 100% Disk in Task Manager

2) Installed Norton Antivirus and disabled Windows Defender and rebooted.

1) The system booted and hit 100% in Task Manager for about 5 minutes.

2) Attempted to open Windows Notepad and the Task Manager went back to 100% Disk.

In all instances the Task Manager Disk Listing would show between 0.3 and 2.5 total usage and still show the Disk at 100% on the top freezing the computer.

Kent Nord, Feb 8, 2020
  4. Why is my Disk 0 C: is at 100% for all Windows 10 computer?

Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

Why is my Disk 0 C: is at 100% for all Windows 10 computer?

1. Why is my Disk 0 C: is at 100% for all Windows 10 computer? - Similar Threads - Why Disk 100%

2. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C disk usage at 100%: I've been having the problem for the past couple days now and I'm unsure what could cause this. I've tried disabling sysmain and other things inside services, since according to many tutorials it should have fixed it, but it never did. The disk usage is at 100% most of the...
  3. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C disk usage at 100%: I've been having the problem for the past couple days now and I'm unsure what could cause this. I've tried disabling sysmain and other things inside services, since according to many tutorials it should have fixed it, but it never did. The disk usage is at 100% most of the...
  4. C disk usage at 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  6. Disk 0 read/write at 100%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk 0 read/write at 100%: My Disk 0 C: drive is at 100% read/write yet I am not doing anything on the computer. I upgraded to Windows 11 Home but had this problem on Windows 10 Home. I have tried all the suggestions given, that I deemed safe, that were out in the www, but to no avail. I am hoping not...
  7. disk 0 active time 100%

disk 0 active time 100%: my pc is slow, and spends a lot of time with disk 0 active time at 100%. is there anything to do about this? what do you need to know? i've used windows performance recorder for 30s, and the results are here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlydyVjRnQ8hsH-cr90YDZX1e9vh?e=UDtdqB...
  8. 100% Disk 0 C: Drive usage? Is there a reason why my C drive is constantly at 100% usage?...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk 0 C: Drive usage? Is there a reason why my C drive is constantly at 100% usage?...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Trever5005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gfcrh4/100_disk_0_c_drive_usage_is_there_a_reason_why_my/
  9. Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines)

Disk 0 (C: D:) at 100% (on multiple machines): On my old laptop, my new laptop, and my desktop, Disk 0 will be at 100% almost always, and will spike up at random times. My desktop fan runs constantly, winding up and down when I haven't touched it for hours. Any ideas what could be going on?? I've tried: -Disabling...
  10. Disk 0 (C:) 100% activity

Disk 0 (C:) 100% activity: When I restart my computer, and at various times after it has been running for a while, the C: drive activity goes to 100% for long periods of time, resulting in very slow performance. It is a dual quad core computer with 12 GBs of ram. Running the latest Windows 10 Home...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hi i have a question i have only on drive c is that why my disk is at 100% ?