Windows 10: Why is my HDD spinning up after I've put my laptop to sleep at night?

Discus and support Why is my HDD spinning up after I've put my laptop to sleep at night? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; This is a laptop I just resurrected with a fresh Win 10 install, so my first thought was it was still doing updates, but I don't think that's the case.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rjstim, Jun 16, 2020.

1. /u/rjstim Win User

Why is my HDD spinning up after I've put my laptop to sleep at night?

This is a laptop I just resurrected with a fresh Win 10 install, so my first thought was it was still doing updates, but I don't think that's the case. The specified time it looks for updates is 8AM-5PM, and they're set to manual, so I still have to actually click on them to install. Besides an open Chrome window, there's no other programs running, but I didn't think that would even matter if it was in Sleep mode? This is multiple nights now where I've remembered hearing it spin up multiple times..

submitted by /u/rjstim
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rjstim, Jun 16, 2020

2. HDD spins and stops continously.... while display is off (Laptop is not on sleep or hibernate)

when my laptop display turns off (only screen timeout, not in sleep or hibernate mode). HDD spins and stops and then suddenly starts again... I can identify it with the help of the sound of the HDD
    (I'm not talking about the sound of writer in HDD, but the HDD actually spins and stops and then spins again and it is also not the process of reading/writing of HDD). I have
    updated my laptop from windows 10 v1803 to 1809 and then to 1903. I had reset the laptop 3 times. I have performed system recovery two times. I checked for corrupted files in windows system but there
    were no corruptions. I have performed a hardware test, every single test was passed (HDD passed all the test). Laptop is in warranty. service engineer came and told me that it's process of windows but I don't believe it because the sounds of HDD are like HDD
    is powering ON and then powered OFF. Laptop is fully functional and operational... I can use the Laptop well... but I have also seen some unexpected corruption of windows OS.
    (please don't give suggestions of updating my laptop to 1903 and to update all my drivers as I've already did that but the problem still persisted then)

what can be the root cause of problem?

what can I do to solve this?

Laptop Model : HP-15G dr0008tu

Shivam Khilar, Jun 16, 2020
  3. HDD won't spin down/sleep in Windows 10

I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem.

My HDD setup is as follows:

Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps

Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games

Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media

After configuring Windows 10 to sleep the media HDD (the seagate) after 5 mins of inactivity I noticed that it never actually does it, the HDD never goes to sleep, spins down.

That HDD only has media on it and no apps so there should be nothing accessing it.

How can I found out what is preventing the HDD from going to sleep?

sd_dracula, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Why is my HDD spinning up after I've put my laptop to sleep at night?

HDD won't spin down/sleep in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

You may be facing this issue due to the unallocated time for the HDD to go to sleep from the sleep settings.

Follow the steps below to allocate the timing for the HDD to go to sleep from
    Power options and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Power Options and select the top most search result.

• Click on Change when the computer sleeps option from the left side panel of the window
      and click on Change advanced power settings.

• Expand Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after and set a time of your choice from the drop down bar.

• Click on Apply and OK
      after setting the time.

• Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Why is my HDD spinning up after I've put my laptop to sleep at night?

1. Why is my HDD spinning up after I've put my laptop to sleep at night? - Similar Threads - Why HDD spinning

2. spacebar puts my laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spacebar puts my laptop to sleep: when I use my laptop, I need to hold space or it will sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spacebar-puts-my-laptop-to-sleep/4544bee7-0f5d-45b5-8b72-ab1de21aa069
  3. spacebar puts my laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    spacebar puts my laptop to sleep: when I use my laptop, I need to hold space or it will sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spacebar-puts-my-laptop-to-sleep/4544bee7-0f5d-45b5-8b72-ab1de21aa069
  4. Windows keeps waking up my sleeping HDD / spinning back up spun down HDD.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keeps waking up my sleeping HDD / spinning back up spun down HDD.: Windows really likes to keep the drives active for unknown reason. I have tried the followings: Changed "Power Options" in Control Panel; Modified registry to add AHCI Link Power Management in "Power Options" and changed the settings accordingly; Disabled "Storage Service"...
  5. Display doesn't wake after putting my laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Display doesn't wake after putting my laptop to sleep: Most of the times, my display doesn't come back or wake at all even if I try to open it via the power button. Moreover, even if it does come back, my laptop loses sound. 163914
  6. Laptop waking up from sleep at night

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop waking up from sleep at night: I tried following this post, but when I execute this command: powercfg/waketimers, I get a different result: C:\Windows\system32>powercfg/waketimers Timer set by [PROCESS]...
  7. Why my pc starts up by itself after put to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Why my pc starts up by itself after put to sleep: Windows 10 sometimes happening pretty often when I put my pc to sleep I find it going after a minute or so pls help me fix . 142445
  8. I put my laptop in sleep mode but then it wakes up again after a bit

in Windows 10 Support
    I put my laptop in sleep mode but then it wakes up again after a bit: I have tried everything Looking at the events, Making the time you have to wait. Into one minute I have a lot of apps open when I off it but I don't think that's the problem. Here is my computer stats Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500 CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.60 Ram: 16 GB (15.8...
  9. MS Laptop 2 not waking up after a night of sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MS Laptop 2 not waking up after a night of sleeping: I have a Surface Laptop 2 (i5/8Gb/256Gb) and it's working fine until I go to sleep and close it down for an extended period of time. In the morning (in 8-10 hours) I put up the screen and it's not reacting, so I should press the Power button. MS logo turns up and computer...
  10. Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sleeping secondary hdd spinning up every 2 hours: How to stop windows10 from spinning up my secondary hdd every 2 hours? In event log i see "Event 15, SecurityCenter" "Updated Windows Defender status successfully to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON." every ~2 hours, and that spins up hdd. i added that drive to exclusions in...