Windows 10: Why is my Internet speed so slow on my PC exclusively?

Discus and support Why is my Internet speed so slow on my PC exclusively? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not very familiar with PC culture, due to me just starting to learn about it, so you may need to hold my hand a bit... The internet speed on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HB01, Sep 1, 2017.

1. HB01 Win User

Why is my Internet speed so slow on my PC exclusively?

I am not very familiar with PC culture, due to me just starting to learn about it, so you may need to hold my hand a bit...
    The internet speed on my PC is much lower than what I should be receiving (about 215 KB/s on average). I should be receiving around 30-40 Mbps as i do on other devices such as my games console and other my laptop.
    My PC is plugged into a TP-LINK 300 Mbps Universal Wi-Fi range extender via an Ethernet cable.

Any help would be much appreciated Thank you.

:)

HB01, Sep 1, 2017

2. Ridiculously slow internet Windows 10

I have just bought. PC with Windows 10. The internet speed is atrocious. I do not know much about computers, so a lot of the 'fixes' on the internet are meaningless, and I am not going to 'tweak'things I shouldn't do. So, the download speed for this computer
    is 9.35mbs, my windows 7 laptop 21.6mps. Why is it so slow? I need a simple to inderstand fix for this as it is impacting my work.

KayNewman1, Sep 1, 2017
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Why is my internet speed abysmally slow?

Your internet speed is provided by your internet service provider. Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Check your internet speed at the
    Ookla website
    . If you're not getting the internet speed you paid for, tell your internet service provider about it.

BulldogXX, Sep 1, 2017
  4. Why is my Internet speed so slow on my PC exclusively?

Hi HB01.

First to isolate the issue we need to know if this is the PC or extender. Not sure why you installed the extender, it is advertised as boosting wireless signal which likely meant it was poor in the current location.

Have so tested your PC at the source router with a cable?

If so what speed did you achieve?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 1, 2017
  5. HB01 Win User
    I have installed the booster as the area where my PC is in my home is in a dead zone for wireless connection and i had previously had a Wi-Fi dongle in my PC, however that had much worse results as i was only able to receive around 8 KB/s.

I have not tried plugging my PC directly into the router so i don't know if that would make a difference.

/Harry

HB01, Sep 1, 2017
  6. Please do so, that is connect to router.

Your issue is the deadzone. The extender is now experiencing the same connectivity that your pc would have had. Then you add the overhead and such.

Please have a read of this article from Tom's Hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-extender.html

You might be better off placing extender halfway between you and router and then connecting wirelessly.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 1, 2017
  7. HB01 Win User
    I thought that would be a problem but the extender is working for my console and phone which are in the same room and they aren't connected via Ethernet cable. Is it likely that it is a hardware problem on my PC?

HB01, Sep 1, 2017
  8. Why is my Internet speed so slow on my PC exclusively?

Again, lets isolate something. By connecting to main router you get immediate answer, either extender or hardware.

How does the device fair connected wirelessly, in its current location.

Caledon Ken, Sep 1, 2017
  9. HB01 Win User
    OK, I plugged my PC into the router via an Ethernet cable and my download speed has gone up to 55Mbps.

HB01, Sep 1, 2017
  10. So assuming you used the same cable that you used for the extender (confirms cable okay) it would appear issue is with extender, could be physical or configuration.

That said you said your console and phone were okay on extender. Are they wireless, assume phone is but is console a wired connection? Thought I saw in picture of device only one lan port.

Caledon Ken, Sep 1, 2017
  11. Forgot to ask. With computer using extender what is your wireless speed?

Caledon Ken, Sep 1, 2017
  12. dencal Win User
    Right click on Winkey (bottom left)....click on Windows Powershell (Admin) and copy paste the following, then press enter.

netsh winsock reset

Restart computer for it to take effect.

dencal, Sep 2, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

Which extender do you have there are a simple extender that picks up the wireless and re transmits and then there is one with 2 units were you plug one in close to the router and a cable to the router and then the other unit picks its up via the mains. The first type has to be half way between the router and you for it to work

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is my Internet speed so slow on my PC exclusively? - Similar Threads - Why Internet speed

2. Why is my internet speed so slow only on my computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my internet speed so slow only on my computer?: My internet speed is often all the way down to 1MB/s, whereas on other devices, even when I put my device next to my Wifi adapter on the computer, can reach up to 30MB/s . I have tried pretty much everything and I don't know what to do. For example I tried messing around with...
  3. Why is my internet speed so slow only on my computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my internet speed so slow only on my computer?: My internet speed is often all the way down to 1MB/s, whereas on other devices, even when I put my device next to my Wifi adapter on the computer, can reach up to 30MB/s . I have tried pretty much everything and I don't know what to do. For example I tried messing around with...
  4. Why are my internet and download speeds so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my internet and download speeds so slow?: Recently, my internet and download speeds have been so slow, that I have recently been VERY HAPPY to use my iPhone's MOBILE HOTSPOT just to get A FEW MORE KILOBYTES PER SECOND. That's on ONE OR TWO BARS of 4G LTE where I live. I hate it. Nice, very functional PC; nice setup;...
  5. Why are my internet and download speeds so slow?

Why are my internet and download speeds so slow?: Recently, my internet and download speeds have been so slow, that I have recently been VERY HAPPY to use my iPhone's MOBILE HOTSPOT just to get A FEW MORE KILOBYTES PER SECOND. That's on ONE OR TWO BARS of 4G LTE where I live. I hate it. Nice, very functional PC; nice setup;...
  6. Why is my download speed so slow?

Why is my download speed so slow?: Screenshots:https://imagetolink.com/ib/GW2vbsBwJAhttps://imagetolink.com/ib/aUcemZeGbWcan anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-download-speed-so-slow/0adfa275-d7cb-4195-8efa-bf2a43a1ce2f
  7. Why is my download speed so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my download speed so slow?: Screenshots:https://imagetolink.com/ib/GW2vbsBwJAhttps://imagetolink.com/ib/aUcemZeGbWcan anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-my-download-speed-so-slow/0adfa275-d7cb-4195-8efa-bf2a43a1ce2f
  8. Why my download speed so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my download speed so slow?: Why is my download speed so slow? - Microsoft CommunityI tried to use these methods in the link-up there by - In method 1: I don't have the gpedit.msc- The second: I used it but I can't get in any link they're unreachable and some of my country's social apps can't connect to...
  9. Why my download speed so slow?

Why my download speed so slow?: Why is my download speed so slow? - Microsoft CommunityI tried to use these methods in the link-up there by - In method 1: I don't have the gpedit.msc- The second: I used it but I can't get in any link they're unreachable and some of my country's social apps can't connect to...
  10. Why is my download speed so slow?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is my download speed so slow?: I've recently been noticing my download speeds for files have been very slow. I've run a speed test, and it said my download speed is greater than 60 Mb/s, but when I go to download a file, it barely exceeds 100kb/s. This happened very suddenly too, in the past, speeds were...