Windows 10: Why is my outlook.pst file is growing rapidly on the disk?

Discus and support Why is my outlook.pst file is growing rapidly on the disk? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; The outlook.pst file is normally around 50 MB (for the past two years). I added some reminders (maybe 5% more) and it grew to 80 MB. I added some more... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by MikeFox, Jul 14, 2019.

1. MikeFox Win User

Why is my outlook.pst file is growing rapidly on the disk?

The outlook.pst file is normally around 50 MB (for the past two years). I added some reminders (maybe 5% more) and it grew to 80 MB. I added some more reminders (maybe another 5% more) and it grew to 115 MB. I emptied the Deleted Items in Outlook and rebooted. The size is still 115 MB.

The text of reminders that I have added should have increased the size by no more than 2.5 MB each time.

Is the .pst file becoming corrupt? Will it continue to grow?

I am using Windows 10 and Outlook 2016. I have Tasks with just text. There are no emails in my Outlook. This computer has never been on the network, and Outlook has no configuration with a mail client. There are no viruses on the computer that I can tell. Since it has no connection to a network, I do not see how a virus could be the problem.

:)

MikeFox, Jul 14, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Jul 14, 2019
  3. marcbkk Win User
    Outlook PST File Problem

Thanks again everyone. I just did an export on the troubled PST file to create a new PST file from it and the file size went from 3.9GB down to 850MB. Then I installed the new PST file into Outlook that I just created and removed the old PST file from Outlook and all seems to be working fine so far. I think I am good now, but I will give it some time just to make sure there are no problems before I delete the old file. Thanks again.

marcbkk, Jul 14, 2019
  4. marcbkk Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

My Outlook PST file has now grown to nearly 4GB. I have deleted tons of stuff, emptied the deleted items mailbox, and I have done a Compact Now on the PST file a few times, but the file size never gets smaller. It just keeps growing in size instead. My guess is that it shouldn't even be 1GB at this point. Is there some easy thing I can do to rebuild the file using just the emails, contacts, and folders I want to keep so that the file runs smoothly and is optimized down to its proper size? Cheers. Marc

marcbkk, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Why is my outlook.pst file is growing rapidly on the disk? - Similar Threads - Why outlook pst

2. outlook pst file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    outlook pst file: hi the file working fine on my pc, and was on my tablet till few hours ago, i tried put the pst file on my usb to save space as kept getting one drive was nearly full, but outlook would not open when i try to go back keep getting this message popping up, gone as it says into...
  3. outlook pst file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    outlook pst file: hi the file working fine on my pc, and was on my tablet till few hours ago, i tried put the pst file on my usb to save space as kept getting one drive was nearly full, but outlook would not open when i try to go back keep getting this message popping up, gone as it says into...
  4. Help with lost Outlook .pst file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with lost Outlook .pst file: Hey, hope you guys can help me!I use outlook and the .pst file is stored in my onedrive folder.I'm not sure what happened but the .pst file has completely disappeared from the 'outlook files' ! And therefore when I open outlook it has lost all of my folders.I've tried to...
  5. Help with lost Outlook .pst file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with lost Outlook .pst file: Hey, hope you guys can help me!I use outlook and the .pst file is stored in my onedrive folder.I'm not sure what happened but the .pst file has completely disappeared from the 'outlook files' ! And therefore when I open outlook it has lost all of my folders.I've tried to...
  6. Help with lost Outlook .pst file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Import Outlook .pst files into O365 Outlook

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Import Outlook .pst files into O365 Outlook: Hi all, I have just updated my W8.1 to W10 and discovered that the Mail app in W10 cannot import outlook .pst files or contacts, My old version of W8.1 is gone and I no longer have access to Outlook, all i have is the backup .pst files If I go down the path of buying O365...
  8. Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook: Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the outlook ... there are important emails. made by the archive outlook 2007 .pst, copied to a USB flash drive. Then reset the system, set the same office 2007. Now I want to recover the mail data (they are very important) ......
  9. Outlook pst files

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook pst files: This is weird I am trying to copy the pst from my main computer it is roughly 4GB in size to a USB stick to import it to my new laptop. I have 43GB of empty space on my stick yet I get the error message that the pst file is to big for my stick. Now that is weird can anyone...
  10. Outlook pst file reader?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook pst file reader?: I'm trying to access .pst files from Outlook from a previous laptop. I currently don't have Outlook on my laptop (W10). Can anyone recommend a good (and safe) pst file reader. Freeware would be great. Thanks! 44347