Windows 10: Why is NTP client using local UDP port 123 - fails to sync time

Discus and support Why is NTP client using local UDP port 123 - fails to sync time in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, My Windows 10 installation fails to sync network time. It looks like the windows SNTP client uses UDP port 123 for both source and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Vishal Rao, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Why is NTP client using local UDP port 123 - fails to sync time

Hello,

My Windows 10 installation fails to sync network time.

It looks like the windows SNTP client uses UDP port 123 for both source and destination and my ISP is blocking local port 123 in all likelihood.

NTP updates work on linux distros and I also tried a tool called "NetTime" on Win10 which works because the source port is a random unprivileged port in the 60,000 range.

I am posting here to make a request to change the behaviour of Win10 NTP client to use a random higher port unprivileged so people do not face this issue - I have seen umpteen complaints online of people not being able to sync network time on Windows.

Thank you.

:)

Vishal Rao, Jun 10, 2020
  2. BiggieShady, Jun 10, 2020
  3. Fr. Yuri Win User
    UDP Ports

Windows 10 appears to be a totally control-freak operating system and I'm hating it.

I'm trying to run a TeamSpeak 3 server on my computer. It uses UDP Port 9987. I can access the port locally, through localhost or 127.0.0.1, even my internal IP... 192.168.1.116. But the instant I try to access it from the internet, it fails to connect.
    Yes, the port is forwarded in my router's port forwarding. Every program that uses TCP ports works just fine. But UDP ports are being blocked by something and I can't figure out what is blocking it. So, logically, since I don't have anything but the router,
    windows firewall and windows defender, it MUST be windows. I've checked for proxies between the internet and my router and there are none. So, again, logically, the only option left is Windows 10 itself.

I use to be able to use UDP ports in Windows 7 and Windows 8. It stopped when I upgraded to 8.1 and then 10 it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestiongs?

I have a local portforward checking application that pings a external server that then tries to connect using the specified protocol for the specified port and it works just fine on TCP 9987, but when I tell it to check UDP 9987, it immediately comes back
    stating that a program is blocking the UDP 9987. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please, somebody help me get this working. I'm pulling my hair out here.

Fr. Yuri, Jun 10, 2020
  4. AMDCam Win User

Why is NTP client using local UDP port 123 - fails to sync time

NTP Help

Hi guys, I know this is not the site for bull**** networking but you've been the most reliable tech site I've ever been on for any computer stuff. So I've got a question about a network. I'm with the Marines, and we're running secure networks branching off from everywhere. I mean I'm in Japan right now. But we're trying to sync our hardware (Cisco devices, switches and routers) to NTP. I created a test setup with a router, easy as pie to sync that, but it was a direct connection from the router to our linksys gateway directly to the ISP. But in the real setup, we pull NTP data on every piece of hardware I set up to sync...we just don't sync. "Show NTP associations" shows full reach, stratum 3 servers all working perfect but our offsets are off (I'd love to know what the numbers for offset mean), but show ntp status shows no synchronization, not even a hint that it realizes it's got a working NTP server to pull off of. NTP is supposed to be an easy setup, but for over a month now myself and everyone I know have tried everything from our end to get a sync and we got nothing. Maybe it's not close enough to the NTP time, so we set the time and timezone a billion times, nothing there. I'm assuming since we can pull data from NTP servers, the port's gotta be open right? If it's impossible to sync because somewhere along the way a firewall is blocking it's UDP port, that's totally cool, then I'll have an excuse as to why we're gonna have to manually set clocks. But the fact that it pulls information (diagnostics at least, ping, offset, freq, stratum) I feel like we should be able to pull time, we just can't for some reason. If you guys have any idea what I can do please let me know. Thank you

AMDCam, Jun 10, 2020
Thema:

Why is NTP client using local UDP port 123 - fails to sync time

1. Why is NTP client using local UDP port 123 - fails to sync time - Similar Threads - Why NTP client

2. UDP port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UDP port: i started working from home this week & a few months ago everything was working fine with the new computer, yesterday when I logged in to the asp nextgen hosting site I was unable to do anything. we clicked on the connection that showed up and seen a message that said we...
  3. UDP port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UDP port: i started working from home this week & a few months ago everything was working fine with the new computer, yesterday when I logged in to the asp nextgen hosting site I was unable to do anything. we clicked on the connection that showed up and seen a message that said we...
  4. Cannot sync time with any NTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot sync time with any NTP server: Hello,I'm getting this error each time I'm trying to synchronize my laptop clock with an NTP server:C:\Windows\System32>w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available.I've tried out each and every solution...
  5. Cannot sync time with any NTP server

Cannot sync time with any NTP server: Hello,I'm getting this error each time I'm trying to synchronize my laptop clock with an NTP server:C:\Windows\System32>w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available.I've tried out each and every solution...
  6. W11 Pro NTP Client Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W11 Pro NTP Client Fails: I just upgraded my GPU from Nvidia to AMD which caused some random crashing, even after using gpu driver removal tool, so I did a clean install of W11 Pro which seems to have fixed it. However the Windows NTP Client is not working now. It did work before."An error occurred...
  7. W11 Pro NTP Client Fails

W11 Pro NTP Client Fails: I just upgraded my GPU from Nvidia to AMD which caused some random crashing, even after using gpu driver removal tool, so I did a clean install of W11 Pro which seems to have fixed it. However the Windows NTP Client is not working now. It did work before."An error occurred...
  8. TCP and UDP port no used by homegroup computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    TCP and UDP port no used by homegroup computers: A. TCP 3587 UDP 3389B. TCP 3587 UDP 3540C. TCP 3389 UDP 3540D. TCP 80 UDP 3540 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tcp-and-udp-port-no-used-by-homegroup-computers/47a6498a-4c37-43c1-9806-2f334441aa17
  9. UDP ports not released

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UDP ports not released: I have a problem where the UDP ports on my computer aren't being released. I monitor both the TCP and the UDP port assignments every 10 seconds. This is the script I'm running: #!/usr/bin/ksh while true do d=`date` lp=0 lp=`netstat -anp UDPgrep -c 65535` if [ $lp...
  10. NTP client shows incorrect Time on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    NTP client shows incorrect Time on Windows 10: [ATTACH]In today’s post, we will identify the cause when SpecialPollInterval is used as a polling interval, the Windows Time Service shows incorrect time if the […] This post NTP client shows incorrect Time on Windows 10 is from TheWindowsClub.com. read more...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ntp source port 123