Windows 10: Why is One Drive downloading files to my computers?

Discus and support Why is One Drive downloading files to my computers? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I thought one uploads some files to their One Drive and then they can be accessed via other computers that they login into, why in the heck is One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tcman50, Sep 2, 2015.

1. tcman50 Win User

Why is One Drive downloading files to my computers?

I thought one uploads some files to their One Drive and then they can be accessed via other computers that they login into, why in the heck is One Drive downloading the files to each of my computers, we are talking 14GB of music I uploaded, it is taking forever and it is slowly down my computers and network, I don't care to have access to the files offline on my other computers, it in a way completely destroys the whole concept of files in a cloud.

Is there a way to turn off downloading of One Drive files to every computer that tries to access them, if not, that's it, I am completely done with all this junk and will then politely tell all upper Microsoft officals to go play in traffic, yet just another bone head concept.

TC

:)

tcman50, Sep 2, 2015
  2. S_L_984 Win User

Windows 10 and One Drive

I echo people's sentiment about the Windows 10 upgrade and One Drive. Most changes makes sense or are simple things that I can get used to with the upgrade...except for One Drive. I don't understand why Microsoft got rid of our ability to access and see
    all our folders and files on our home computer without having everything downloaded and set to the "available offline" feature that takes up exorbitant amounts of memory. In Windows 8.1, I could easily see the layouts of my folders, and if I wanted to work
    on a specific document, I could download whatever document I wanted, work on it, and then sync it to the One Drive cloud when I saved it (or have it waiting to be synced if I happened to be without internet). Easy peasy. It made sense to download an actual
    One Drive app on my computer. And it actually made the service worthwhile.

Now under Windows 10, One Drive makes NO sense. It doesn't make sense why the One Drive app and folder on my home computer shows up empty unless I download entire folders or manually select folders to be synced. Why would I even bother downloading extra
    programs and apps if the only way to see the organization of all your files is to log on through the One Drive website? Doesn't this actually defeat one of the purposes of paying for a monthly service??

Can someone please fix this and quick? Or at least make the service cheaper for its inconvenience?

S_L_984, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Read only files. Is it tied to One Drive?

Thank you for your response. May we know what is the current storage of your OneDrive? If you already consumed your OneDrive storage, all the files on your computer will be on Read Only mode.

We look forward to your reply.

Marielle Cas, Sep 2, 2015
  4. tcman50 Win User

Finally figured it out, the reason that all my computers were downloading all my one drive files is because I had all the one drive files marked to sync even the 15gb of music.

I don't what the music synced (for editing purposes) to all my other computers, I just want to access the one drive music at any of my other computers via the groove music app, this is now working correctly by turning off sync for the one drive music folder.

However..groove music is still a little wack, first one has to pick view one drive files only, or streaming files (which i guess means they can be downloaded for offline listening) and then specify a bogus folder for groove music to look for files on your computer because it keeps asking for one, I dont want it to look for music files on a computer so I just point it to an empty temp folder on the computers hard drive, now I am only accessing the music files on the one drive, just the way I want.

Microsoft needs to fix Groove Music asking for a hard drive folder location, it is not needed if one only wants to access their music from their one drive location which it automatically does anyway and to me would be the only way anyone would want to access their music.

Question though, if streaming allows for downloading for offline listening, could one send a link to a friend to their music on on the one drive and then that person could actually download the songs? I know groove music allows one to obtain a link to their one drive location via the sharing options.

TC *sarc

tcman50, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Why is One Drive downloading files to my computers? - Similar Threads - Why Drive downloading

2. Why is One drive affecting my files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is One drive affecting my files?: I noticed I was not able to see the thumbnails for my pictures, initially I tried troubleshooting the viewer settings but realized that it only happening to files that were not synced to OneDrive. I tried clicking 1. View>Always show availability status. 2. Pause syncing for...
  3. Why is One drive affecting my files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is One drive affecting my files?: I noticed I was not able to see the thumbnails for my pictures, initially I tried troubleshooting the viewer settings but realized that it only happening to files that were not synced to OneDrive. I tried clicking 1. View>Always show availability status. 2. Pause syncing for...
  4. Why is One drive affecting my files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. One drive keep files in One Drive but not in the computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive keep files in One Drive but not in the computer: My files will be deleted from my computer but I don't want to lose my files. I need to keep them on my one drive but I must do this from my Samsung phone One Drive because I don't have access to my computer....
  6. One drive keep files in One Drive but not in the computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One drive keep files in One Drive but not in the computer: My files will be deleted from my computer but I don't want to lose my files. I need to keep them on my one drive but I must do this from my Samsung phone One Drive because I don't have access to my computer....
  7. One Drive - why is it still on my computer?

One Drive - why is it still on my computer?: Hi After failing miserably to save things automatically to my laptop rather than One Drive, I uninstalled One Drive. But it is still appearing in my folders, and is still the default for local files I cannot change my local file save location to anything other than One...
  8. downloading files from one drive

downloading files from one drive: Real simple question. If I upload a folder to my onedrive, how does a completely different person download those files/folder to their computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-files-from-one-drive/2b6cb7a0-aa56-44fb-b595-c4e366025f06
  9. ONE-DRIVE DOWNLOADS TO MY COMPUTER

ONE-DRIVE DOWNLOADS TO MY COMPUTER: The answer to this is probably very simple; but I don't know it. How do I stop One-Drive from downloading specific, saved files to my computer hard-drive when I've deliberately deleted those files from my hard-drive? And then, how do I turn on One-Drive again to continue...
  10. Syncing or downloading of files to one drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Syncing or downloading of files to one drive: Has anyone any idea of how I can stop my files being synchronised or downloaded to onedrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syncing-or-downloading-of-files-to-one-drive/8afbd06a-ed01-4b20-8f6b-dcb29fc2fab0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is one drive downloading so many files

2. why is my one drive downloading files

3. why is one drive downloading files when I want them stored off computer

4. one drive downloading on my two comuters,
  5. why is one drive downloading files to my pc ?,
  6. why is one drive downloading files to my new computor