Windows 10: Why is one of my number keys typing a z instead of the number?

Discus and support Why is one of my number keys typing a z instead of the number? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello,My "two" key is typing the letter z instead of the number two. What can I do to fix this. All the other keys on the keyboard are working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kristi Stevens, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Why is one of my number keys typing a z instead of the number?

Hello,My "two" key is typing the letter z instead of the number two. What can I do to fix this. All the other keys on the keyboard are working properly.This is how dates look when I type them: July z6, z0z1This is how emails look when I type them: Kristi.StevensZlmg.net.Thanks for the help.

:)

Kristi Stevens, Jul 26, 2021
  2. v_realo Win User

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, Jul 26, 2021
  3. Darshan J Win User
    When numlock is on, my desktop keyboard types numbers instead of letters

Hello Vicky,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your laptop?
    This issue might occur if function key in the keyboard is enabled. So as an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the function key in the key board and make sure that it is not enabled.

If the issue still persists you can run Hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Suggest you to follow the steps below and run the
    Hardware and Device
    troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and sound”.
    • Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next" button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.
    Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Darshan J, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Rose Ter Win User

Why is one of my number keys typing a z instead of the number?

Keyboard types letters instead of numbers when inputting card details

Hi,

In order for us to assist you regarding the keyboard issue that type letters instead of numbers when putting in card details. Kindly refer to the response of
    Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP on this
    link
    . This will provide you steps on how to use the correct software keyboard.

Let us know how it goes.

Rose Ter, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

Why is one of my number keys typing a z instead of the number?

1. Why is one of my number keys typing a z instead of the number? - Similar Threads - Why number keys

2. My QWERUIOP is typing numbers instead of letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My QWERUIOP is typing numbers instead of letters: im using laptop keyboard, yesterday i was about to use my laptop but suddenly when i open chrome and tried to type my QWERUIOP is typing 1234567890. i've turned off my numlock i tried to reset my keyboard driver, it just wouldnt work, my dad also couldnt fix this issue....
  3. My QWERUIOP is typing numbers instead of letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My QWERUIOP is typing numbers instead of letters: im using laptop keyboard, yesterday i was about to use my laptop but suddenly when i open chrome and tried to type my QWERUIOP is typing 1234567890. i've turned off my numlock i tried to reset my keyboard driver, it just wouldnt work, my dad also couldnt fix this issue....
  4. My QWERUIOP is typing numbers instead of letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Pressing key number one makes all keys into shortcuts instead of typing.

Pressing key number one makes all keys into shortcuts instead of typing.: When ever I press the key number 1 , a bing page with windows help website is opening up. And any other key I press will take me to a shortcut instead of typing. And only after I press the windows button twice, the keys will go back to typing. This is really annoying while...
  6. Pressing key number one makes all keys into shortcuts instead of typing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pressing key number one makes all keys into shortcuts instead of typing.: When ever I press the key number 1 , a bing page with windows help website is opening up. And any other key I press will take me to a shortcut instead of typing. And only after I press the windows button twice, the keys will go back to typing. This is really annoying while...
  7. Pressing key number one makes all keys into shortcuts instead of typing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Number one key issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number one key issue: Number one key does not work, but "!" works. Not too sure what happened or why one function of the key works and other doesn't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-one-key-issue/7a3c38e0-cdf1-4b39-85ca-33c4cdfa4ad6
  9. Number one key issue

Number one key issue: Number one key does not work, but "!" works. Not too sure what happened or why one function of the key works and other doesn't. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-one-key-issue/7a3c38e0-cdf1-4b39-85ca-33c4cdfa4ad6
  10. Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters: keyboard types numbers instead of letters in the command window. Also in some other apps. Not in notepad, not in google chrome not in file explorer. Pressing Num Lock doesn't change anything. Using an Asus UX31e Zenbook with external mouse, keyboard and monitor. Keyboard...