Windows 10: Why is OneDrive kidnapping my files?

Discus and support Why is OneDrive kidnapping my files? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Basically, I want to use my personal OneDrive as a means to transfer files between my laptop and PC - e.g. if I want to move a document from my laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BumbleBrutus1, May 23, 2020.

1. Why is OneDrive kidnapping my files?

Basically, I want to use my personal OneDrive as a means to transfer files between my laptop and PC - e.g. if I want to move a document from my laptop to my PC, I would drop it into the OneDrive and access this from my PC. Alternatively, I would use it to back up any particularly important files.

However, after adding my OneDrive account to my PC, all my existing documents and pictures have been moved to my OneDrive folder. If I go into the documents or pictures folders under 'This PC', it just gives me a link to the OneDrive folder.

I only have 5GB free storage on the personal OneDrive, so I don't want it filled up with files that I was happily storing on my PC.

How can I set it so that the OneDrive folder acts as an optional storage place, rather than a complete replacement of my PC's folders? And how do I move all the files that were moved to OneDrive back to my PC?

Thanks for any help.

submitted by /u/BumbleBrutus1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BumbleBrutus1, May 23, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 23, 2020
  3. Onedrive

Hi Hiatt,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the article Find
    lost or missing files in OneDrive
    for more information regarding the missing files.

If the issue still persists please follow the steps to contact
    OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue.

1. Login to OneDrive.com.
    2. Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    3. Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 23, 2020
  4. Why is OneDrive kidnapping my files?

Utilities that I run can no longer automatically save files to my OneDrive

Hi Alan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To set OneDrive as your default location to save your documents and files, follow the below steps.

1. Click on the OneDrive icon from the Taskbar area > Click on the menu button (three-dots) on the top-right corner > Click on
      Settings > Go to the Auto Save tab.
    2. Using the drop-down menu, select OneDrive for
      Desktop
      , Documents, and Pictures and click on
      OK.
    3. Once you complete the above steps, restart the computer once and try saving the files generated from utilities and check if it is saving in
      C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents folder.

If you are still facing the same issue, then I suggest you to contact OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue by following the below steps.

• Login to
      https://onedrive.com/
    • Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    • Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Shafeeq_Khan, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Why is OneDrive kidnapping my files?

1. Why is OneDrive kidnapping my files? - Similar Threads - Why OneDrive kidnapping

2. Why is my files called onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is my files called onedrive: So I recently made a factory reset after getting my pc infected with a virus.When I checked a folder it was called "C:\Users\Arvid\OneDrive\Bilder\Saved Pictures" and I've heard viruses can spread through onedrives and I'm worried that the virus might've followed me through...
  3. Why is my files called onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my files called onedrive: So I recently made a factory reset after getting my pc infected with a virus.When I checked a folder it was called "C:\Users\Arvid\OneDrive\Bilder\Saved Pictures" and I've heard viruses can spread through onedrives and I'm worried that the virus might've followed me through...
  4. Why is my files called onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recycle Bin kidnapping my icons one at a time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle Bin kidnapping my icons one at a time.: Why does the recycle bin keep stealing my desktop icons one at a time? Icons which I use often just suddenly disappear, and I have to go fish them out of the recycle bin. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks!...
  6. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?: When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the...
  7. Why I'm getting random files in my OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why I'm getting random files in my OneDrive?: These past few days I'm noticing some random files in my onedrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-im-getting-random-files-in-my-onedrive/39f4a2a1-bfb5-45d4-a28b-2d1cc4a58b54
  8. Why I'm getting random files in my OneDrive?

Why I'm getting random files in my OneDrive?: These past few days I'm noticing some random files in my onedrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-im-getting-random-files-in-my-onedrive/39f4a2a1-bfb5-45d4-a28b-2d1cc4a58b54
  9. How to prevent Windows 10 OneDrive from Kidnaping my entire Desktop and Media Libraries and...

How to prevent Windows 10 OneDrive from Kidnaping my entire Desktop and Media Libraries and...: How to prevent Windows 10 OneDrive from automatically Kidnaping my entire Desktop and Windows Media Libraries and automatically shooting them to the cloud upon every Windows 10 update without my permission? Micro*hit is getting way too aggressive in pushing the use of its...
  10. flummoxed - OneDrive kidnapped document folder

in Windows 10 Support
    flummoxed - OneDrive kidnapped document folder: If your Documents folder exists in your "C:\Users\<username>" folder, then you might see if using step 5 in Option Three in the tutorial below may be able to restore the "Documents" folder in "This PC". *Arrow Add or Remove Folders from This PC in Windows 10 Windows 10...