Windows 10: WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything?

Discus and support WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I wanted a cloud for pics and vids... NOT all my games and apps... Now I have to reload hundreds of Gigabytes of data from the recycle bin in one drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Zachary_Blu_Red, Nov 13, 2022.

1. WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything?

I wanted a cloud for pics and vids... NOT all my games and apps... Now I have to reload hundreds of Gigabytes of data from the recycle bin in one drive and i cant figure out how to stop this..

:)

Zachary_Blu_Red, Nov 13, 2022

2. OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed Google Drive

To revert the shell folder locations to default, open OneDrive and do the following:

Important: Before proceeding, copy the files in those special folders to another folder or external drive. Please don’t copy them anywhere under Desktop/Documents/Pictures. This is because disabling OneDrive backup for a folder would erase the local copies of the files. Copying them to a different location beforehand will ensure that you don’t need to download them again from the OneDrive cloud.

1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the Notification area and click Settings.
    2. Select the Backup tab, and click Manage Backup
    3. In the Manage folder backup dialog, click on the Stop backup link under the special folder (Desktop, Documents, or Pictures)
    4. Click Stop backup in the confirmation dialog that appears.
    5. Repeat the step for each shell folder you want to revert to the original location.

See also:

Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 13, 2022
  3. Moving desktop files to onedrive

I finally decided to finally start using OneDrive, so I clicked and dragged a file folder on my desktop and moved it to the OneDrive folder. It disappeared from my desktop, but did not appear in OneDrive, alone or in any of the categories (documents, pictures,
    etc.). I'm sure there's a simple solution. Where are my files?

DawnAnderson5, Nov 13, 2022
  4. OldPilot Win User

WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything?

Document files moved to OneDrive

My first post here: Windows 10 build 19042 Ver 20H2

I don't know happened. Yesterday, I used Calibre that requires access to files in a folder in my Documents folder. But it wasn't there. All files and folders were gone and apparently moved to onedrive. I was able to move that folder back to the document folder within my user account and all of that worked okay. But why, had the files and folders been moved like that without my action. Also, how should I put my system back in order, if it is out of order?

Not only have the files been moved but the point to locations have been changed. The location of Documents is listed as "C:\Users\jvpri\OneDrive\Pictures" . Hmm...why should the documents folder have been placed within Pictures? There still exists a Documents folder within my User directory account but it was empty.

Also, some of my content on Desktop have been moved to a OneDrive/Desktop directory. There is a Where are my Files link left on the Desktop.

Because of all this, I tried to learn a bit more about how OneDrive is supposed to work, but only go more confused. So, besides solving my immediate problem, is there somewhere a good read that will simplify what I am supposed to expect from Onedrive and how to keep it all straight.

OldPilot, Nov 13, 2022
Thema:

WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything?

1. WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything? - Similar Threads - WHY onedrive moving

2. OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed everything on my computer: My Desktop is no longer in my User folder- it has been moved into a folder called 'OneDrive'. I don't want OneDrive. How did OneDrive install itself on my computer? Why is it messing around with my files? I didn't give it permission to do this and I am very upset.How do I...
  3. OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed everything on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive moved my Desktop into a OneDrive folder and removed everything on my computer: My Desktop is no longer in my User folder- it has been moved into a folder called 'OneDrive'. I don't want OneDrive. How did OneDrive install itself on my computer? Why is it messing around with my files? I didn't give it permission to do this and I am very upset.How do I...
  4. OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????: Why on earth does OneDrive on factory default windows move the desktop from c:\users into a OneDrive folder? If you are going to force the default OneDrive setup to make users do a desktop backup, surely MOVING their desktop directory is the most braindead possible way of...
  5. OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????

OneDrive moves desktop directory: why?????: Why on earth does OneDrive on factory default windows move the desktop from c:\users into a OneDrive folder? If you are going to force the default OneDrive setup to make users do a desktop backup, surely MOVING their desktop directory is the most braindead possible way of...
  6. Why are there 3 to 5 copies of everything that's backed up in the File History folder? And...

Why are there 3 to 5 copies of everything that's backed up in the File History folder? And...: I am looking up what is taking up so much of my storage space. I have a 1TB internal M.2 PCIe NVMe 3.0 SSD and AND! a 2TB 2.5 SATA SSD and I just happened to notice that they're both getting filled up much faster than they should be considering I just got a 6TB external...
  7. WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything?

WHY is onedrive moving my desktop files, and why is it backing up everything?: I wanted a cloud for pics and vids... NOT all my games and apps... Now I have to reload hundreds of Gigabytes of data from the recycle bin in one drive and i cant figure out how to stop this.....
  8. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?: When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the...
  9. Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?

Why are my desktop files located in a onedrive folder?: When I right click on my files on the desktop, and look at the properties, the location isn't C:\Users\username\Desktop but C:\Users\username\OneDrive\Desktop.In the left pane inside Windows Explorer, clicking on This PC and then the Desktop link right below it, gives the...
  10. Why is this happening? Can’t move files to desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is this happening? Can’t move files to desktop?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Spyderrock [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fob3ge/why_is_this_happening_cant_move_files_to_desktop/