Windows 10: Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer?

Discus and support Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've noticed that very occasionally, a program will only run properly if I open it in file explorer. If I use search to open it it won't work, with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ripperroo5, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer?

I've noticed that very occasionally, a program will only run properly if I open it in file explorer. If I use search to open it it won't work, with errors about not being able to find files. Is it something to do with context?

submitted by /u/ripperroo5
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ripperroo5, Oct 1, 2020

2. Jump list File Explorer items not opening program

thanks for all suggestions have carried out most and found no difference so far. Will check out the clean boot tomorrow. John

barbershopjohn4, Oct 1, 2020
  3. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them.

Before search:

Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer? [​IMG]

After search for "Get"

Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer? [​IMG]

Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does zilch.

nigelmercier, Oct 1, 2020
  4. Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer?

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer?

1. Why is opening a program in search different to opening it in file explorer? - Similar Threads - Why opening program

2. Trying to open a pdf file opens new File Explorer Search instance?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to open a pdf file opens new File Explorer Search instance?: I'm using: Edition: Windows 10 ProVersion: 20H2Installed: 10/‎6/‎2020OS build: 19042.1083Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Each time I try opening a document/file, a new instance of File Explorer opens to the Search feature with a message telling me...
  3. Why Does F3 Open The File Explorer/Search Now?

in Cortana
    Why Does F3 Open The File Explorer/Search Now?: Ever since the May 2021 update to Windows 10 whenever I press the F3 key it brings up the file explorer or windows search no matter what I'm doing. This is super frustrating because I use F3 for quicksaves, I play Minecraft Java Edition and using F3 can do quite a bit of...
  4. File Explorer wont let me open a file with a different program

File Explorer wont let me open a file with a different program: This MC shaders had something I needed to fix, but when i was going to fix it i accidentally chose my browser, and now it wont let me change programs. how do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  5. Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results

Windows Explorer "Open file location" opens Search Results: Try this: Open Windows Explorer Go to Quick access -> Desktop Right-click on empty area -> New -> Text Document Search "New Text Document" without quotes In the search results, right-click "New Text Document.txt" -> Send to -> Desktop create shortcut Go back to Quick access...
  6. File Explorer not opening up in specific programs

File Explorer not opening up in specific programs: So basically my file explorer does not work on Spotify, Blizzard, Discord and Steam. Therefore, I am unable to change any profile pictures, playlist pictures, change file locations, post pictures, etc through these programs. This problem started occuring ever since I had to...
  7. Why does File Explorer look different depending on where I open it?

Why does File Explorer look different depending on where I open it?: For example, when I click Unpack Extension my Downloads Folder is blank despite having hundreds of files. And when I rightclick Chrome and click See in Folder the folder looks different with an icon for all of the browsers, though I can’t find the browsers when I open File...
  8. OPENING FILES/PROGRAMS

OPENING FILES/PROGRAMS: HI THERE,COULD ANYONE HELP I HAVE LOADS OF FILES AND PROGRAMS I NEED DESPERATLY TO USE BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO OPEN AS ALWAYS SHOWS ERROR CANT OPEN 'EXE' FIES HOW DO I OPEN THEM WHAT DO I NEED TO GET OR WHAT DO I NEED TO DO PLEASE HELP AND THANKS....
  9. Google Search will not open in Explorer!

in Browsers and Email
    Google Search will not open in Explorer!: Hello everyone You have been most helpful with my questions and I now hve my new Aver V13 set up except........................... I use Google Search (not Chrome) as my search engine and have the icon on my desktop. My problem is that it always opens in MS Edge which I...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...