Windows 10: Why is PC checking media on startup?

Discus and support Why is PC checking media on startup? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My PC has started displaying a strange message before the Windows 4 colour icon, namely Checking media Media present Start PXE over IPV4 on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sigurd, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Sigurd Win User

Why is PC checking media on startup?

My PC has started displaying a strange message before the Windows 4 colour icon, namely
    Checking media
    Media present
    Start PXE over IPV4 on Macc:E0-D5-5E-6E-3B-2B

It is not a major problem but it does slow booting time considerably as the message is displayed for 1-2 minutes before it proceeds to the Windows logo.

I assume it is looking for something but I am not sure what.

Windows version is the latest.

- - - Updated - - -

Solved it - Checked the BIOS boot sequence and found that for some reason the "Boot from hard disk" had migrated to the bottom of the list. Moved it to the top and all OK.

:)

Sigurd, Dec 20, 2019

2. Checking Media Fail on Windows 10 startup

Dell Inspiron 3537 with Windows 10: During startup, 'Checking Media' is displayed at the upper left of the screen, followed by 'Checking Media Fail'. The PC completes startup and everything is OK except that the PC does not recognize or connect to the
    ISP. I can repeat startup with the PC connected directly to the modem with an ethernet cable, with the same result. Meanwhile, cell phones, tablets, Macs, and other PCs connect normally through the ISP, so the problem must be with the computer. The computer
    ran normally for several years, until the connection problem appeared this week. Wisdom and suggestions would be welcome.

ChrisClarkson, Dec 20, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Dec 20, 2019
  4. Why is PC checking media on startup?

My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Dec 20, 2019
Thema:

Why is PC checking media on startup?

1. Why is PC checking media on startup? - Similar Threads - Why checking media

2. Checking Media Presence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Checking Media Presence: This started yesterday. I had left my computer running on a game while I was away for around 30 minutes. Then I came back to see a DellSupport Assist error. This is what it said."Dell SupportAssist has detected a failing component on your system that requires immediate...
  3. Checking Media Presence

in Windows 10 Customization
    Checking Media Presence: This started yesterday. I had left my computer running on a game while I was away for around 30 minutes. Then I came back to see a DellSupport Assist error. This is what it said."Dell SupportAssist has detected a failing component on your system that requires immediate...
  4. Checking Media Presence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Checking Media Presence: Every time I boot up my PC an alienware aurora r7 it first shows the alienware logo loading as usual, but switches to a black screen that says “checking media presence” and sometimes it flashes “no media present”, but then eventually the alienware loading screen shows up...
  5. Checking Media Presence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Checking Media Presence: Every time I boot up my PC an alienware aurora r7 it first shows the alienware logo loading as usual, but switches to a black screen that says “checking media presence” and sometimes it flashes “no media present”, but then eventually the alienware loading screen shows up...
  6. Checking media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Checking media: I need to know what is causing my laptop to display the message "checking media" when I switch it on. Please help, how do I fix this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-media/10d452df-f644-40d7-8da5-efb4c0cc7f3f
  7. Checking media presence

Checking media presence: Whenever I'm trying to start my PC it says 'Checking media presence'..and then ut says 'no media found' and then goes to BIOS..my Hard Disk Drive is set as the boot option 1..and still I can't turn on my PC...
  8. Checking Media

Checking Media: So I have no idea how this happened but, my PC started saying checking media, then it turns off and says checking media again, and then turns off, repeat. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-media/7d535192-e4dd-4470-91ea-b74dda72c325
  9. Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup

Why can't the media creation tool check for admin on startup: I normally login as a non admin user. When I use the media creation tool, it asks for admin rights so I grant that. Then it chugs away for almost 3 minutes and goes through a series of questions which get answered. I am just creating an image on a USB stick. Then it says...
  10. checking media presence

checking media presence: how do I get around this message each time I boot up windows " checking media presence " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/checking-media-presence/ab17aa18-c033-4972-abcc-ac1373a81617