Windows 10: Why is PC powering up from shutdown state?

Discus and support Why is PC powering up from shutdown state? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm having problems with power options in my Windows 10 PC with ASUS 170-K mbo. The PC is shut down programmatically at midnight (by calling the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by arnoldh, Aug 31, 2020.

1. arnoldh Win User

Why is PC powering up from shutdown state?

I'm having problems with power options in my Windows 10 PC with ASUS 170-K mbo.

The PC is shut down programmatically at midnight (by calling the shutdown process), it is started automatically from the BIOS RTC at 6.00 in the morning, and during the day it is woken from sleep programmatically with a Wake on LAN (WOL) packet. This has been working as intended for some time.

However now a program is sending the WOL packet during the night and this is starting the PC, even though the PC is supposed to be shutdown. This is not what I want. I want the PC to be woken by WOL when asleep (S3), but not from shutdown.

In the Windows 10 power options, shutdown-settings screen I have 'Turn on fast startup' set.

Why is PC powering up from shutdown state? [​IMG]

According to this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...and-windows-10, with Fast Startup set but not hibernate, WOL should not start the PC from S4 or S5. But it does.

I've tried with Fast Startup on or off. Also various combinations of BIOS settings (Fast startup on boot and power on by LAN). Whatever I do a WOL packet wakes the PC whatever state it's in.

There is a separate setting in the BIOS (ErP) that I think would definitely disable WOL, but it also disables power on by RTC, so the PC couldn't be started at 6.00 in the morning.

Any ideas why WOL is powering up the PC after it's been shut down?

:)

arnoldh, Aug 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that the laptop will not shutdown completely. We will help you.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps you.

• Remove all the externally connected devices and cables including the battery.
    • Hold the power button for about a minute and release the power button.
    • Connect only the power cable and power on the PC.
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 31, 2020
  3. Windows 10 shutdown power still light and fan still working

Sachin.V thank you for reply the post i hope no problem again . i try 2 times shutdown seen like problem solve thank you

cosmochong, Aug 31, 2020
  4. Why is PC powering up from shutdown state?

PranavMishra5582, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

Why is PC powering up from shutdown state?

1. Why is PC powering up from shutdown state? - Similar Threads - Why powering shutdown

2. Repeated Driver Power State Failure on shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repeated Driver Power State Failure on shutdown: I have had this issue for a few weeks now. My PC will start stuttering, I can fix it temporarily by rebooting, however it hits the BSOD when I try to shut down. As it only bluescreens on shutdown when it is stuttering, I assume they are linked in some way, but that's for...
  3. POWER DRIVER STATE FAILURE BSOD on Shutdown

POWER DRIVER STATE FAILURE BSOD on Shutdown: Greetings, This is my first time requesting support on here so I'll try my best to get it right. Here is a rundown of my current rig that has remained completely unchanged since around early-mid 2019. OS - Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2, Build 19042.746 CPU - AMD Ryzen...
  4. Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart: my pc crashes every time i try to shut it down. It shows BSoD and says driver power state failure. I have no idea what is causing this issue and have tried all the power management solutions that i found on the internet. So pls help me solve this issue....
  5. Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart

Driver power state failure on shutdown and restart: my pc crashes every time i try to shut it down. It shows BSoD and says driver power state failure. I have no idea what is causing this issue and have tried all the power management solutions that i found on the internet. So pls help me solve this issue....
  6. Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake On Lan not working from shutdown state: So I am trying to enable Wake On Lan for my PC so I can turn it on remotely. The PC is in an odd spot so reaching the power button is awkward so I have made a custom wireless button (using a NodeMCU) to send the WOL packet over my network. It works just fine when I put the...
  7. Driver Power State Failure On Shutdown

Driver Power State Failure On Shutdown: Ok. So long story short. I was playing some games and noticed windows 10 had some new updates so I installed them. Suddenly none of my USB devices like mouse and keyboard are detected and when Inshut down AfterI get a BSOD with the error " Driver Power State Failure"....
  8. Driver Power State Failure on restart, shutdown, sleep

Driver Power State Failure on restart, shutdown, sleep: Hello Windows Ten support, Ever since I upgraded from Windows 10 Pro v1809 to v1903 I receive a BSOD Driver Power State Failure when I restart, shutdown or sleep. My computer attempts to shutdown and after about 5-10 minutes I receive the BSOD. This problem did not happen in...
  9. driver power state failure upon restarting or shutdown!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    driver power state failure upon restarting or shutdown!: My computer starts to lag, So I try to shut down or restart and then it doesn't and simply instead gives blue screen of death with error written: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. no other error code. Even after completing at 100% the blue screen still remains for ours and never...
  10. PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State

PC Powers Up From Apparent S5 (or G3) Shutdown State: My PC has this issue where it powers up from an apparent S5 or G3 shutdown state precisely at midnight. It does not happen every night, but more often than not. When it powers up this way, the power profile also apparently has no effect. I have it set to sleep after 1 hour of...