Windows 10: Why is Photo viewer for Windows 10 so broken?

Discus and support Why is Photo viewer for Windows 10 so broken? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have folders full of photos taken from my phone. All I wish to do is simply look through the photos and delete those I don't want. Since windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DaveEv, Oct 29, 2020.

1. DaveEv Win User

Why is Photo viewer for Windows 10 so broken?

I have folders full of photos taken from my phone. All I wish to do is simply look through the photos and delete those I don't want.

Since windows 10 this simple task is impossible, which is why I have a backlog of thousands of photos. I can only do a few at a time and it's hugely time consuming. why?

Firstly, why is it so slow? Using the default 'app' I open the first photo in the folder and start hitting the right arrow, moving through the collection one by one and hitting delete followed by return because windows doesn't think I'm capable of making this decision without asking if I'm sure every single time. This simple task, for some strange reason, is painfully slow. Why is it a system that is capable of running resource hungry games struggles so much to delete a photo and skip to the next one?

Secondly, I find many photos are skipped. As I work my way through the photos I find myself reaching the end of the folder quicker than I expected. When I take a look in the folder using large icons view I can instantly see groups of photos that I haven't seen while browsing through. I have to keep going through each folder multiple times, or literally look at each photo one by one and close the app each time to make sure I see every photo.

Thirdly. When I am offering trust to this terribly coded app, I will sometimes hit delete, hit return, the photo momentarily disappears and then reappears. I presume I have taken the same picture more than once, as I often do, and so I delete this one too, and the next. What I don't realise until I check is that the app is showing me a photo which HAS been deleted, and I am deleting other photos which the viewer is not showing me. I guess, the image is not refreshing even though the app is actually moving to the next photo.

Clearly anyone can see that this app is unusable.

Please don't ask my specs or those horribly repetitive "have you updated?" type questions. I have this problem on 3 different PCs. Each one is constantly updated.

Can I find another option to carry out the simple task of sorting out my photos with an alternative Microsoft app or do I need to look for a third party app?

:)

DaveEv, Oct 29, 2020
  2. iko22 Win User

How to get rid of raw file support in windows photo viewer?

Why is Photo viewer for Windows 10 so broken? [​IMG]

I have downloaded this, and it did not work; photo viewer is not in the list of programs in Open With or Default App. I used option 2 step 3, followed by step 5 to 9.

iko22, Oct 29, 2020
  3. meebers Win User
    Replacement for photo viewer

Win ver 19041.388

Just do not like this "new" photo viewer, it is just cumbersome to operate, lot of extra steps etc. I like the older Win photo viewer, however since JPG files are saved as "unhandled Extension handler finder", *Confused I need something else. Appreciate any suggestions that is not overly optioned, just a simple viewer. Tx

meebers, Oct 29, 2020
  4. Clark Ari Win User

photo viewer

Hi,

There are several reasons why this issue occurs, such as corrupted system file or your graphic driver needs to be updated. To isolate your issues about viewing photos in
    Windows Photo Viewer, we just have a few questions:

• Is the issue the same with a different image file format?
    • Have you tried using the Photo app to check if the issue is the same?
    • Is the issue only occurs with the photos that were captured using your DSLR camera?
    • Have you tried downloading photos online and check if the issue is the same?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, to troubleshoot your issue in using the Windows Photo Viewer, we suggest that you run the Windows apps troubleshooter. To do so, click on this
    link. If the issue still persists, we recommend that you update your graphic driver. To do this, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link.

Please post back with the result for further assistance.

Clark Ari, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Why is Photo viewer for Windows 10 so broken? - Similar Threads - Why Photo viewer

2. Why is Windows Hello so broken for me?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is Windows Hello so broken for me?: It gets so annoying, I scan my fingerprint, it says “Hello, Andrew!” like it’s about to unlock, but then it just doesn’t, and when I try to scan again it just flickers the prompt and doesn’t unlock. This gets really annoying because I have a longer password. Why is this so...
  3. Why is windows so broken and deprecated

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is windows so broken and deprecated: Permission issues, had a bluescreen this morning trying to delete a folder on my desktop. Everything is messy, junky, unstable, restricted. Who the hell work on windows? What are they doing all day? I'd be ashamed to work for Microsoft under the windows branch. Can...
  4. Why is HDR on windows 10 so broken?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is HDR on windows 10 so broken?: Why the hell is HDR on windows 10 so borked? I mean a HDR switch? really? also the fact that HDR gets disabled from overlays, volume controls. The fact that windows 10 color profile is SD? and switches to HDR and back...why? Potplayer/MadVR - fullscreen exclusive issues....
  5. Windows 10 photo viewer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 photo viewer: Running windows 10 using photo viewer, I'd like to know how to set a default setting of full screen view. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-photo-viewer/8d27fdd5-b8d4-4512-87fc-74a932bf0fcb
  6. Windows 10 photo viewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 photo viewer: Typical error "Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture because there might not be enough memory available on your computer. Close some programs that you aren't using or free some hard disk space (if it's almost full), and try again.' - not a memory problem! Only get...
  7. Windows 10 photo viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 photo viewer: when I try to enlarge a picture in the photo viewer, they window turns transparent. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-photo-viewer/376a2bf0-7c7f-416e-8ab6-125b0e7e44a9
  8. Windows 10 Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Photo Viewer: I'm trying to run the photo viewer that comes with Win10. It will not even open. When I try to run it I get a message that says "This app can't open." Not sure what to do or what information is needed. Thanks, Art...
  9. Windows 10 Photo Viewer

Windows 10 Photo Viewer: I'm looking for a Photo Viewer for Windows 10 Home 64-bit that's as close as possible to that found on Windows 7. I've tried Microsoft Photos on the Windows Store but once I zoom in or make an image I'm viewing full screen, the other options at the top of the screen disappear...
  10. Windows 10 photo viewer

Windows 10 photo viewer: How to show oldest photos first in windows 10 photo viewer Can someone please help me out here on the above.I decided to have a go with the W10 photo app,But failed on how to arrange the viewing I would like to have the windows to show oldest first.Or is it set to show...