Windows 10: Why is Photos app using 4GB of RAM?

Discus and support Why is Photos app using 4GB of RAM? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was playing an online game and I started getting FPS drops. I opened task manager and I saw Photos app using 4200 MB of RAM. The link below is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PriyankGodhani, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Why is Photos app using 4GB of RAM?

I was playing an online game and I started getting FPS drops. I opened task manager and I saw Photos app using 4200 MB of RAM.

The link below is the screenshot of that situation
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AbL3Llo7QetgX6idVQJ21iQnFUf87lC4

The link below is the spec of my laptop (DELL XPS 15 9560)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yJq8LsljKXtoQcSA4MpW-Wc2ezMDgEu-

:)

PriyankGodhani, Jan 2, 2019
  2. prashii Win User

Windows shows 8GB RAM installed but 4GB RAM is usable

Hi There,

I've just upgraded my pc from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM. Windows seems to have detected this upgrade but why does it show as only 4GB RAM available. The following is what I have tried so far with no luck:

• I have tried the msconfig method on ensuring maximum memory is not checked.
    • physically removed the new RAM and reinstalled it
    Any thoughts/suggestions on how i can resolve this matter?

Thanks

prashii, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Why is Photos app using 4GB of RAM?

WINDOWS 10 MICROSOFT PHOTO APP

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

The Photos app brings together pictures from all your devices using OneDrive, so that you can browse them by date, album or folder. It also automatically enhances photos, and creates albums for you, to showcase your best shots.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to change the Default apps in the setting app and verify the result. You may follow the steps in the below:

• Go to settings and system.
    • Click on Default Apps and select the appropriately.

Method 2:

I suggest you to reinstall Photo app using the PowerShell command
    and reinstall using the Windows store. Follow the below steps.

• Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
    • Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
    • Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.

•   get-appxpackage  *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage

More reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/photos

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Why is Photos app using 4GB of RAM?

1. Why is Photos app using 4GB of RAM? - Similar Threads - Why Photos app

2. RAM went from 4GB to 3.38GB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RAM went from 4GB to 3.38GB: Hey so I have a lot of problems with my laptop and here is one of them. I could use 4GB ram but now it randomly went from 4GB to 3.38GB why did that happen?? I can't use 50% of my apps and the greatest part is I can't edit videos anymore because my laptop will crash. Can...
  3. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about compare performance about ram. Please say which is better choice 12gb ram 4+8 gb or 8gb ram 4x2 gb about gaming, work like office, coder, virtual machine, etc. Thank you so much. All the ram is same as about speed bus,...
  4. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about compare performance about ram. Please say which is better choice 12gb ram 4+8 gb or 8gb ram 4x2 gb about gaming, work like office, coder, virtual machine, etc. Thank you so much. All the ram is same as about speed bus,...
  5. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Windows using 4GB ram at idle

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows using 4GB ram at idle: I noticed that my windows is using 4GB of ram 2x4GB 1666MHz, my motherboard supports maximum of 1333.I tried this: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/9qhk6x/if_your_computer_is_using_around_4050_ram_while/ but it didn't changed anything.I also tried this...
  7. Why is the Windows Event Log using 4Gb of RAM?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is the Windows Event Log using 4Gb of RAM?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Daniel_RM [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f1ndvh/why_is_the_windows_event_log_using_4gb_of_ram/
  8. Windows 10 using 4GB reserved RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 using 4GB reserved RAM: hello I was curious if there is a fix for this issue. My PC recently updated to the newest win10 build and I was wondering why the PC shows 8GB ram installed however only 4GB are usable with 4GB in hardware reserved. I do not know what could be causing this as my video card...
  9. 4GB Ram vs 6GB Ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4GB Ram vs 6GB Ram: Please educate me. For a "regular" home user (not for business), what are the advantages of having more than 4 GB of Ram ? 125182
  10. 2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    2.2gb Usable out of 4gb RAM.: Hello! I've just installed my windows 10 and since it was running slow on a 2gb ram, I decided to buy a 4gb stick on my 32bit system. Long story short, it only shows 2.2gb usable. 768mb(or something close to that figure) is reserved for the videocard but I think I still...