Windows 10: why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume?

Discus and support why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; context: I have a netbook that came with 32-bit Win 7 Starter edition. I've dutifully updated it to Win 10 1803 and am having trouble with further... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by D. Hugh Redelmeier, Jul 26, 2020.

1. why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume?

context: I have a netbook that came with 32-bit Win 7 Starter edition. I've dutifully updated it to Win 10 1803 and am having trouble with further updates

The C: partition is about 50GiB. About 10GiB is free. The disk is partitioned using MBR I don't think that the firmware supports UEFI.

Settings: Storage: This PC C: says that I have 114 GiB.

"System & reserved" is 84.6 GiB.

How can this be larger than the C: volume on which it resides?

I've not installed many things on this system. Why would System & reserved be so large? I have other little-modified Windows 10 installations that take much less space than 84.6 GiB.

Perhaps I've enabled some file-system compression setting that I no longer remember. Is there a way of finding out?

:)

D. Hugh Redelmeier, Jul 26, 2020
  2. sam9 Win User

How to increase the System Reserved Partition size

Thanks for detailed information. I may be wrong about 350 MB System Reserved Partition. I only wanted to increase the System Reserved Partition size because Windows backup was failing and as you all are suggesting to use Macrium for backup then why to go for increasing the System Reserve Partition (but I will give a try as taught by you). Please make one more thing clear that while replying to a post, Do I need to Quote the full message of the member. Secondly why my System Reserved Partition is assigned a Drive letter by default.

3. EdMeza Win User
    Screen size is larger than monitor

Hello,

Got a new monitor and the text is extremely small for me. ACER manufacturer recommends that settings for the size of text and apps be left at 100%, plus the Resolution at 1920 x 1080.

Since my eyesight is not that good, I opted to increase the size of text just to 125% and then asked to reboot computer. After the restart, the text had considerably gotten better, but the desktop icons got larger, half of the size of the icons were off the
    screen on left-hand side. Lastly, the Start Menu button disappeared. Tried to get back the screen to normal, but still is larger than the monitor, also the Start Menu button disappeared. Checked for a magnifier on the screen and closed it.

(I know I can get settings through the action center, but can not get other tiles like photos, games, etc.)

Checked for drivers and they are all up-to-date.

Again, these are the issues:

1) Screen larger than monitor. Can not see anything on the left-hand side, having to snap each time to reduce their size has become a nuisance. Have tried different steps to reduce screen size to fit the monitor but it just is not working.

2) Lost “Start Menu Button”, because screen is too large.

3) Text is gone back to 100% and it's too small.

4) Desktop icons on task bar are also extremely small.

I would appreciate someone's help.

Thank you.

Ed

EdMeza, Jul 26, 2020
  4. why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume?

Files sizes for photos and videos showing as much larger than actual. Can't open/transfer.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to view the picture and video files transferred from your phone to PC, and the folder size is larger than expected. We will certainly look into this for you. In order to get clarity and to assist
    you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • How were the files transferred? (Is it through File Explorer or Photos App)
    • Does the same issue occur for a newly clicked images that are transferred?

Please help us with the above information for further investigation and provide you the correct troubleshooting suggestion.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume?

1. why is "System & Reserved" reported size much larger than volume? - Similar Threads - why System Reserved

2. C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller: My C:/Users shows 540 gb of "size" and 31gb of "size on disk" while the C disk only has 146gb. My laptop runs properly but I don't think this is normal. Is it an error or something that can be explained?...
  3. C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:/Users "size" volume is larger than whole disk while "size on disk" is much smaller: My C:/Users shows 540 gb of "size" and 31gb of "size on disk" while the C disk only has 146gb. My laptop runs properly but I don't think this is normal. Is it an error or something that can be explained?...
  4. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  5. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size: Hello,So I have this 4TB external SSD that I formatted with exFAT so that it could be compatible with any computer I plug it into.The problem is that most of the files I put on the drive take up much more space on the drive than it should.The "Size on disk" is so much larger...
  6. "Size on disk" is much larger than actual size

7. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains: I am trying to free up space and I noticed my Users folder was larger than I thought it would be. I am on Windows 10My C:\Users folder contains 2 folders. One with my name and the other called 'Public'. When I check their sizes Public is small 121 KB with not many folders and...
  8. C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains

C:\Users\NAME folder is much larger than the combined size of the files it contains: I am trying to free up space and I noticed my Users folder was larger than I thought it would be. I am on Windows 10My C:\Users folder contains 2 folders. One with my name and the other called 'Public'. When I check their sizes Public is small 121 KB with not many folders and...
  9. Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported

in Windows 10 News
    Default Windows apps have a much larger size than reported: Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system includes dozens of default applications that are available by default right after installation on first run. Some of these applications provide core functionality, like photo viewing, media playing or plain text editing. Others have a...
  10. Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Size on disk much larger than actual size - how to fix ?: My folders of photos are showing properties of a much larger size than is physically possible on my laptop, this is not showing up as an issue on the laptop, but I can't back them up effectively as have already used up a 2TB drive for a small portion of them ! I've seen some...