Windows 10: Why is the "change only text size" greyed out?

Discus and support Why is the "change only text size" greyed out? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm logged in an admin account and it's greyed out. I searched online and it seems some people have this issue as well but I couldn't find a solution.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 2bl, Aug 15, 2015.

1. 2BL
    2bl Win User

Why is the "change only text size" greyed out?

I'm logged in an admin account and it's greyed out. I searched online and it seems some people have this issue as well but I couldn't find a solution.
    Why is the "change only text size" greyed out? [​IMG]

:)

2. Can't set text size of title bars

I tried that suggestion (changing overall scaling to 100%) but it didn't work. "Change only text size" still greyed out.

huckleberry99, Aug 15, 2015
  3. mosaa Win User
    Possible to Change text size of customization windows? - NOT Magnifier

"change the text size only" is greyed and not clickable. I cannot change them!

mosaa, Aug 15, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Click on "set a custom scaling level" and change it to say 125%. Click Apply, Sign Out, Sign back in. You should be able to change the Text Size.

topgundcp, Aug 15, 2015
  5. sgage Win User
    It will still be grayed out.

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
  6. sgage Win User
    Yes, this has been broken since the beginning of Previews. If you are comfortable working with regedit, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

and you can tweak the xxxFont entries. Just change the first hex byte - I use eb instead of the default f1. You'll need to sign out/sign in for it to take effect.

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Tony K Win User
    Looks as though the system may not be activated, therefore personalization is blocked.

Tony K, Aug 17, 2015
  8. sgage Win User

That has nothing to do with it. In my fully activated and verified system, I see the same thing, and have since Technical Preview 1 back in October.

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Lies!

I clicked "set a custom scaling level" and changed it from 125% to 100% and it's no longer grayed out. Donno why it was set to 125%, I didn't change it and see no difference after changing and re-login.

fracking4oil, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Tony K Win User
    Ok. I was talking generally and not necessarily directing it at you, but also the OP. It does have everything to do with it if a system is not activated. Just went through that due to losing activation. Once I got it activated this is no longer greyed out and indeed works as seen below. However, I see it's not the case with you.

Is yours a fresh installed system?

Tony K, Aug 17, 2015
  11. sgage Win User
    I upgraded from 8.1 Pro, then used the ISO to do a clean install. All validated, verified, and activated. Did you change the overall scaling? I have to use 125% (my poor broken eyes). I think the individual font size dropdown thing might work if you never touched that setting...

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
  12. sgage Win User
    Excuse me? "Lies!"?

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Tony K Win User

Just rebooted to my 8.1 partition. Didn't change anything in that setting. I'll be sure to check this in awhile when in 10 again. In the mean time hopefully someone else may have an answer for you.

Tony K, Aug 17, 2015
  14. Yes, lies... as seen in my posted image.

P.S. it's call sarcasm!

fracking4oil, Aug 17, 2015
  15. sgage Win User
    And there I was, looking for a smiley *Wink

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Why is the "change only text size" greyed out? - Similar Threads - Why change text

2. Change font text sizes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change font text sizes: Why can't I change individual font sizes in windows and apps? I don't want to change them by the accessibility slider because I want some of them smaller and some of them bigger.Is there any way to bypass this STUPID change? And why does Microsoft change things that aren't...
  3. Unable to change text size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change text size: Hi Today I changed my text size in Win11 but then I did not like it so I decided to revert back to my old text size but when I try to move the slider it does not move and my screen starts to change into a night light sort of color...
  4. Why is it greyed out?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is it greyed out?: And I can't even see the icon https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-it-greyed-out/d6e4699e-f0f8-4196-94d7-bad8bb8d2459
  5. Mousepad: text size is changing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mousepad: text size is changing: When I am using Mousepad, the text size is changing. It is an annoying issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mousepad-text-size-is-changing/65857ecf-abec-439c-b204-2e5c9162667d
  6. how to change text size

how to change text size: I would like to change the text size. how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-text-size/780a199e-748a-459a-873d-73638cc9a753
  7. Nice to size ONLY text!

Nice to size ONLY text!: How nice (it will be) to be able to size JUST text separately OR Everything [ATTACH] Cheers, Drew [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/nice-to-size-only-text/f51dc103-7b35-4013-87fb-b9135210426e
  8. Text size changes in display

Text size changes in display: I’ve gone through several pages and haven’t seen my issue of text size described. I wrote an explanation of the issues on the attached screen capture. In my old windows 7 OS when I set the text size to 12 they stayed at the size I set. With windows 10 after setting the size...
  9. Change only text size greyed out.

Change only text size greyed out.: Windows does not allow me to change only text size on my desktop, menus etc. Only I can do is to change size of everything (taskbar, icons) which is not what i want. Is there any way to change only text size? 24373
  10. Text is Greyed/Washed Out

in Windows 10 Support
    Text is Greyed/Washed Out: I have poor eyesight and have setup high contrast to see things better in windows 10. Also set the font to 10 point bold and tried the 125% setting. In windows 7 I did not have this issue, I used the classic theme, and just set the fonts all bold, no problem. I think I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change only the text size