Windows 10: Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional?

Discus and support Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a desktop computer using dual monitors. Less than a year old. Intel i5 12400 processor, Windows 11 latest version with all updates current to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ester Watson, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional?

I have a desktop computer using dual monitors. Less than a year old. Intel i5 12400 processor, Windows 11 latest version with all updates current to todays date, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD. All hardware tested OK within the last week. Every few hours, when the system is left unattended the desktop on the primary monitor becomes unresponsive. The mouse will work but none of the icons will open, the start menu will not come up or any programs. If there is something open in the task bar and it was open on the second monitor it will open on the second monitor and you can use that program or the b

:)

Ester Watson, Jun 9, 2023

2. Windows 10 Taskbar Unresponsive.

Dear Amma,

Sorry for the trouble, here are few steps that I would suggest:

• Press the Windows + X
    • Open the Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Now type the command as " Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Push Enter
    • Restart the system.
    • Now see if the issue persists
    • If it persists the only option is to create a new user admin account.

Do let me know if it helped and please mark the answer as helpful if it helped.

Ankur Srivastava, Jun 9, 2023
  3. Windows 10 Taskbar Unresponsive.

Dear Amma,

Sorry for the trouble, here are few steps that I would suggest:

• Press the Windows + X
    • Open the Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Now type the command as " Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • Push Enter
    • Restart the system.
    • Now see if the issue persists
    • If it persists the only option is to create a new user admin account.

Do let me know if it helped and please mark the answer as helpful if it helped.

I appreciate the assistance, but the Windows key doesn't respond to my pressing.

Emma Miranda, Jun 9, 2023
  4. Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional?

Unresponsive Taskbar on Boot

Hi, Paul! Apologies, I have spent some time with the desktop this morning. It does not appear to have been fixed as the taskbar went unresponsive again. I had to force restart on the device to get my icons back and accessibility to the taskbar and the start menu.

EnchantedUnicorn1, Jun 9, 2023
Thema:

Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional?

1. Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional? - Similar Threads - Why desktop unresponsive

2. why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?: I have been encountering a problem where my taskbar becomes unresponsive, and I have to open Task Manager using Ctrl+Alt+Del. Subsequently, the taskbar returns to normal. I ran the System File Checker, which identified and successfully repaired some corrupted files. However,...
  3. why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?: I have been encountering a problem where my taskbar becomes unresponsive, and I have to open Task Manager using Ctrl+Alt+Del. Subsequently, the taskbar returns to normal. I ran the System File Checker, which identified and successfully repaired some corrupted files. However,...
  4. why the taskbar gets frozen or unresponsive?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional?

Why is the desktop unresponsive but the taskbar still functional?: I have a desktop computer using dual monitors. Less than a year old. Intel i5 12400 processor, Windows 11 latest version with all updates current to todays date, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD. All hardware tested OK within the last week. Every few hours, when the system is left...
  6. all icon on taskbar disappear but it is still functioning

all icon on taskbar disappear but it is still functioning: ok i am back with some funny problem.this evening i've clean my windows's junk and just my windows become laggy and cannot switch language input. so, i restarted my pc and after that....... yes, my taskbar's app icon and those button on the right corner disappear. and the...
  7. Taskbar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Unresponsive: Hello. I have been facing issues with my taskbar as described in a previous query here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-task-bar-fully-unresponsive/018d41a7-ea1a-4689-b6fd-7c912fc26053My issue, however, is that after having followed said...
  8. taskbar is unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbar is unresponsive: Same thing is happening to me right now. I went out yesterday and bought a new case and aio to replace what I was currently using from a old prebuilt. The build was seemless until I turned it on, I got into windows just fine. After I enter my pin it took at least 3 minutes to...
  9. Unresponsive Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Unresponsive Taskbar: Edition is Windows 10 Home Version 1709 OS Build 16299.19 If further information is needed about my computers' specs, they are listed and up to date. I have read various threads in separate forums on this site and was wondering if an update fix has been released in...
  10. Taskbar Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar Unresponsive: After the past few times of logging into my pc, I have had some problems with the taskbar. It seems to be frozen, or "locked." The taskbar will not auto-hide, I cannot right-click on any programs, pressing the start button does nothing (this includes pressing the windows key...