Windows 10: Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"?

Discus and support Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I purchased a new computer to try to solve this problem. The new Surface 3 came with the same issue. Now I have two computers where the dictation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sterlingcottam, May 6, 2021.

1. Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"?

I purchased a new computer to try to solve this problem. The new Surface 3 came with the same issue. Now I have two computers where the dictation feature doesn't work. This must be a software issue. Please advise.

:)

sterlingcottam, May 6, 2021
  2. LB899 Win User

Windows dictation stuck on initializing (Win + H)

As stated above my dictation window is stuck on initializing (Win + H). I've closed the dictation window many times. I've rebooted my computer many times.

History:

1. It was stuck on initializing when the feature first went live.

2. After an update or two, it started working.

3. After another or more updates it stopped working, stuck on initializing again.

I would really like to use this feature again.

LB899, May 6, 2021
  3. Dictation not working.

Hello Lina,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please provide some additional information, so that we can assist you better.

1. Are you using dictation in Windows or Office application?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Did you make any changes to the computer before this issue started?

I suggest you to follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1: To dictate text:

1. Open Speech Recognition by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Windows Speech Recognition.

2. Say "start listening" or click the Microphone button to start the listening mode.

3. Open the program you want to use or select the text box you want to dictate text into.

4. Say the text that you want dictate.

Step 2: You may refer Microsoft article related to Dictating text:

Use dictation to talk instead of type on your PC

Dictate text using Speech Recognition

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking "Yes or No.

Harish

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Harish_kum, May 6, 2021
  4. Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"?

Windows dictation stuck on initializing (Win + H)

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Happy New Year!

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in troubleshooting this issue.

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. Do you have the latest updates installed on the PC?

Using Windows dictation feature converts spoken words into text on your PC. It's possible that the feature turns off automatically when it doesn't hear anything.

Let us follow these methods one by one to check if that helps.

Method A: Make sure that you have the latest version of Windows installed on your device. To check this, open the Settings screen, select System > About. Install the latest update if you are prompted to. ‘Keep
    the PC up to date

Note: Dictation is available in US English only. To use it, your PC needs to be connected to the internet. To dictate in other languages, see

Use speech recognition

Method B: Your keyboard language should match the language of your Windows. To check this, open the Settings screen, click Time and Language > Region & Language.

To isolate the issue, create a local user account. Follow the steps in ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    ’ article. Once done, you can try using the Windows dictation from that account.

Use dictation to talk instead of type on your PC

Let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, May 6, 2021
Thema:

Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"?

1. Why is the Dictation always stuck on "Initializing"? - Similar Threads - Why Dictation always

2. Dictation stops working and gets stuck on "initializing"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictation stops working and gets stuck on "initializing": When I use Windows Speech to text by entering the Windows Key + "H" it works about 3 times and stops working. I can kill the software through task manager. Start it again and use it again about 3 times and then it goes back to "Initializing" and will not leave that state. It...
  3. Dictation stops working and gets stuck on "initializing"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictation stops working and gets stuck on "initializing": When I use Windows Speech to text by entering the Windows Key + "H" it works about 3 times and stops working. I can kill the software through task manager. Start it again and use it again about 3 times and then it goes back to "Initializing" and will not leave that state. It...
  4. dictation

dictation: will not initialize, frozen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictation/8963b8ca-28e2-4d28-8dde-1f549b239504
  5. dictation

in Windows 10 Customization
    dictation: will not initialize, frozen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictation/8963b8ca-28e2-4d28-8dde-1f549b239504
  6. dictate

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dictate: how to dictate in win10 on 365 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictate/f457fee5-5a2a-418a-b4c6-b79cf27165c5
  7. Samsung SSD not always initialized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Samsung SSD not always initialized: I have a Samsung 860 2.5" EVO 1TB SSD in the 2.5" slot replacing the HDD that came with it - the problem is, the machine randomly sees it. The machine is GT80 Titan SLI running latest-greatest Win10 home. It apparently has no such issues with an HDD so there is nothing...
  8. Dictation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dictation: I accidently uninstalled the driver for dictation on my old HP Desktop. I have windows 10, but my computer is old and I can't find the driver on the HP website. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictation/e541d2ee-6791-4d8e-82aa-9830855885e9
  9. dictation

dictation: how do I talk and have it dictate what I'm saying. I have certain learning disabilities and it's a lot easier if I don't have to type https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/dictation/e7a3eec0-d1b1-4b93-ba7d-740101b11f83
  10. KB4338819 stuck initializing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB4338819 stuck initializing: Hi all Having trouble with update KB4338819 x64 version as it will not finish installing and sticks on intializing. I've tried the following: Troubleshooter Deleting the files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download Running Services and stopping Windows Update & setting...