Windows 10: Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

Discus and support Why is the disabled Cortana still running ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background. [img] Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ? zoo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zooburner, Oct 2, 2015.

1. zooburner Win User

Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

Hi there

I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background.

Why is the disabled Cortana still running ? [​IMG]

Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ?

zoo

:)

zooburner, Oct 2, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

after disabling cortana i find it is still running in the back ground is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Have you thought of searching the web for an answer? This question has been addressed so many times it's getting to be boring.

For example: Why Is Cortana Still Running in the Background After You Disable It?

BulldogXX, Oct 2, 2015
  3. Erekp Win User
    How to remove Cortana?

I don't see how this answer is helpful. The question is 100% valid if the tone is a bit antagonistic.

And I quote Sangeeta Sarkar "You can disable Cortana but you wont be able to remove it completely as it a part of Windows 10."

Having followed the steps outlined, Cortana is still running as a process. Therefore, the FIRST question HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED.

Thus my question to Microsoft tech support: Why is Cortana still running after it has SUPPOSEDLY been disabled? You have written and ADVERTISED that Cortana can be turned off "completely".
    OR If Cortana itself is NOT running within the process labeled "Cortana", then why is it mislabeled?

It's my computer, with Microsoft's OS, but if Cortana cannot be turned off then there is quite a bit of false advertising circulated by Microsoft, OR perhaps the search functionality
    is ALL running under the heading of the "Cortana" process in which case the process is mislabeled.

Erekp, Oct 2, 2015
  4. RonCFL Win User

You can't shut it down ... Until MS lets you completely uninstall it .. But not now .. *Devil

RonCFL, Oct 2, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    It's actually the search feature, just called "Cortana" causing confusion. Forcefully closing and disabling this Cortana process causes the search features of the Start menu to stop working.

6. Good question, most of it can be disabled however, the core app runs and runs and runs. 51mb here of memory of 32gb ain't a blip and it is not operational so no cpu load of any kind. No problem. A complete shut down but not deletion of cortana requires some reg editing in the privacy settings department and I think the how to is available in this forum somewhere.

BTW, I forgot how to turn Cortana back on and your thread made me find out how to do that again. Not to difficult. I think and I would say there is a lot of privacy stuff you need to decide to turn on and off here. Be careful.

lopedoggie, Oct 2, 2015
  7. zooburner Win User
    Okay people thanks for the replies, I will just leave it for now, it being responsible for search features makes perfect sense.

Many thanks *Smile

zooburner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is the disabled Cortana still running ? - Similar Threads - Why disabled Cortana

2. why is Cortana still useless?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is Cortana still useless?: I really really really want cortana to work, but it literally does nothing.I ask it to 'open word' and it says it cannot help with thatI ask it to play some music and it says the same sometimes it bing searches google play music - which is a service that doesn't even exist...
  3. why is Cortana still useless?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is Cortana still useless?: I really really really want cortana to work, but it literally does nothing.I ask it to 'open word' and it says it cannot help with thatI ask it to play some music and it says the same sometimes it bing searches google play music - which is a service that doesn't even exist...
  4. Why is Cortana still in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Cortana still in Windows 11?: I upgraded to Wion. 11, hoping no more Cortana, but, It's still there, and can't be deleted, Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-cortana-still-in-windows-11/41e3a26a-fbf3-497a-8ff4-944a799a0998
  5. Why is Cortana still in Windows 11?

Why is Cortana still in Windows 11?: I upgraded to Wion. 11, hoping no more Cortana, but, It's still there, and can't be deleted, Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-cortana-still-in-windows-11/41e3a26a-fbf3-497a-8ff4-944a799a0998
  6. Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.

Cortana disabled, but cortana processes still wants to connect to internet.: Hi, I have disabled all cortana features in settings and O&O shutup 10, but the cortana processes is still establishing connections.How do I proceed to fully uninstall it?If I need an assistant, I will hire one....
  7. Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is Cortana still running and how do I disable it permanently?: My PC is using Windows 10 Education, which disables most in-built telemetry and data collection. In settings, anything related to Cortana is off. However, Focus Assist in the Action Center uses Cortana, and in Task Manager there is a Cortana process. Is this to be expected...
  8. Cortana runs in background after being disabled

Cortana runs in background after being disabled: I have already turned off Cortana and her ability to 'get to know me' in the settings. I go to task manager and Cortana still shows up. while using 3% or memory(a large chunk compared to what is being used when nothing is open), i end her process. After a second or two,...
  9. Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.: I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it? 84610
  10. Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disabled Windows Search service... Cortana still running?: So I've gotten fed up enough with the terrible windows search system. I went into services.msc and disabled the windows search service; then restarted my computer. However, "Cortana" is still listed in my task manager taking up 50mb of memory. How do I kill Cortana?...