Windows 10: Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it?

Discus and support Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I mean its in the title. It never finds programs that i dont have a shortcut to. It doesnt even find things i have linked on my Taskbar. submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TotalTyp, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it?

I mean its in the title. It never finds programs that i dont have a shortcut to. It doesnt even find things i have linked on my Taskbar.

submitted by /u/TotalTyp
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/TotalTyp, Jun 22, 2020
  2. MattCorey Win User

My search is not functioning

1. Use the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open the Task Manager.
    2. If you see only a handful programs listed by it click on the "more details" link.
    3. Locate "Cortana" under background processes.
    4. Right-click on the process and select "end task" from the context menu.
    The Cortana process is reloaded right away by the operating system.

i strongly suggest u to follow step by step fix with pictures on Fix Windows 10 Search Not Working Easily (2020 Guide) | Geek's Advice

MattCorey, Jun 22, 2020
  3. pepanee Win User
    Why is Windows 10 Search such unmitigated trash?

I use "Classic Start Menu". It comes with and app called: "Classic Shell". I like its search function for how simple it is to the eye. It gives me a list of my results. Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
    But I am assuming that you don't want to replace your whole Start Menu with this customizable one.

Search for, and open, Indexing Options. At the top, does it say that the indexing is complete, or does that magnifying glass go in circles and that number is increasing?

Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it? [​IMG]

pepanee, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Culbrelai Win User

Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it?

Why is Windows 10 Search such unmitigated trash?

Apparently I'm unmitigated trash and not Windows 10 Search.

Go to search, type "index"

An applet called "Indexing Options" will appear, open it.

This is an application I have never in my life seen before in Windows and I've used every version since WFW 3.11

Click "Modify"

Here's a list of all your drives. I checked every single one of those suckers. Not even my boot drive was checked for indexing and its a 2.2 GB/s read SSD...

So I'm not entirely trash, but whoever wrote those defaults needs to be fired... wth Windows 10...

ATM its "Indexing" and it's at around 30,000 items. Before I checked all the drives, it was at 5,000. it says 'Items' not files, folders, but 'items'.

I will report back when its done to see if it fixes my start menu searching problems.

Culbrelai, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it?

1. Why is the windows search function such trash at its job? Can i fix it? - Similar Threads - Why search function

2. Why can't I use the windows search function?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I use the windows search function?: Hi, I am having an issue with the windows search function. Every time I click on "Type here to search" on the bottom left, it has no effect and doesn't allow me to search anything. I have tried restarting my laptop, rebuilding the indexing, and troubleshooting the problem...
  3. Why can't I use the windows search function?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I use the windows search function?: Hi, I am having an issue with the windows search function. Every time I click on "Type here to search" on the bottom left, it has no effect and doesn't allow me to search anything. I have tried restarting my laptop, rebuilding the indexing, and troubleshooting the problem...
  4. Eliminate trash on search & cortaina

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Eliminate trash on search & cortaina: There is "trash" at the far right end of my search & cortaina icon next to the Windows icon on my pc in the taskbar.How do I eliminate this trash and a make it a white blank with the microscope showing?...
  5. Why is microsoft trash?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is microsoft trash?: First the xbox doesn't want to connect. TV, laptops, phones, google home, alexa and everything else works perfect, only xbox. Now my user profiles are missing on my desktop and about 40% of my files are gone after updating and wasting more money on 365. Thanks a lot microsoft...
  6. Windows 10 Search is still so bad at its Job

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search is still so bad at its Job: Why is Windows 10 Search So Bad At It's Job? is a question asked almost 4 years ago, I looked everywhere and this still has no answer or interest form Microsoft to be found. Why did you lock the question if there is clearly no answer yet. Why do you push bing results into my...
  7. Why is Windows 10 Search Still So Bad At It's Job?

in Cortana
    Why is Windows 10 Search Still So Bad At It's Job?: The old thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana-winpc/why-is-windows-10-search-so-bad-at-its-job/6041e4bf-c30c-4575-a52c-b6916a1e7326? I am still confused why the windows 10 search is so bad at it's job. I always thought it was...
  8. Trash Can

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trash Can: After I have moved an item to the trash can by mistake, how do I retrieve it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trash-can/f542e1ff-aaed-4ac5-8979-18c38df0000f
  9. Why is Windows 10 Search such unmitigated trash?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is Windows 10 Search such unmitigated trash?: How does it miss these things? For example: I search for "teamspeak" it finds nothing when it is RIGHT THERE in the start menu. https://i.imgur.com/7SxJKLK.png I can search for VMware, and as you see in the screenshot, its right there yet search does not find it. I...
  10. Trash can.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Trash can.: In windows 10 1511 and now in insider preview 14393.5 I have the same issue. I set the trash can not to prompt when emptying, but it is still prompting me to empty trash can. Anyone else have this problem, and how do I fix it. Henry 57571