Windows 10: Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive?

Discus and support Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; For some context, I have three drives: a 256gb SSD in which my operating system and some program files are; an internal 1tb hard drive that's just a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Luke Ivey, Jul 16, 2022.

1. Luke Ivey Win User

Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive?

For some context, I have three drives: a 256gb SSD in which my operating system and some program files are; an internal 1tb hard drive that's just a bit cluttered, albeit healthy; and another 1tb external hard drive that is having issues. A couple months ago, my computer tried to auto update or something along those lines and then went nuclear. That itself has since been resolved, however, it left my external drive looking pretty grim with a large amount of corrupted files. I've manually wiped a lot of the found.00X folders, but for some reason, my external hard drive is still reading as 504 g

:)

Luke Ivey, Jul 16, 2022

2. System and Reserved Files are taking too much space. 350GB

Hello,

The system and reserved files may continue to consume space due to a certain service log that could add to your system as a result of multiple operations. At this moment, we suggest that you run
    CHKDSK command prompt by following the steps below:

• Plug in your external hard drive, USB drive or memory card to PC.
    • Open Command Prompt; then, press Windows key + X button and select the
      Command Prompt (Admin) option.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdskE: /f /r. Here, you should replace E with the drive letter of your external hard drive or USB device.

Note: This operation will run CHKDSK to check and repair file system corruption, errors, corruptions or bad sectors on the external hard drive or USB disk.

It is also advisable to manually delete files in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS. To do so, follow the steps on this article:

Clean Up Component-Based Servicing logs

Let us know the result and progress of your troubleshooting.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jul 16, 2022
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Jul 16, 2022
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 16, 2022
Thema:

1. Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive? - Similar Threads - Why 504 gigabytes

2. Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive?: For some context, I have three drives: a 256gb SSD in which my operating system and some program files are; an internal 1tb hard drive that's just a bit cluttered, albeit healthy; and another 1tb external hard drive that is having issues. A couple months ago, my computer...
  3. Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is there 504 gigabytes of system and reserved files on my external drive?: For some context, I have three drives: a 256gb SSD in which my operating system and some program files are; an internal 1tb hard drive that's just a bit cluttered, albeit healthy; and another 1tb external hard drive that is having issues. A couple months ago, my computer...
  4. Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive: Hi,This is the WD 25E1 External Hard Drive, maybe in a rush I shifted a huge amount of storage in one of the System Folder of the drive and now I am unable to access it, Please Suggest a way to access the files....
  5. Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive

Access The System & Reserved Files Of External Hard Drive: Hi,This is the WD 25E1 External Hard Drive, maybe in a rush I shifted a huge amount of storage in one of the System Folder of the drive and now I am unable to access it, Please Suggest a way to access the files....
  6. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?: I have 3 drives. A 250GB boot NVMe SSD, a 1TB SATA SSD, and a 2TB HDD. The way windows manages the drives however is that the HDD is disk 0, 1TB SSD is disk 1, and my boot drive is disk 2. There are two partitions on my boot drive reserved for the system, which is normal for...
  7. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?: I have 3 drives. A 250GB boot NVMe SSD, a 1TB SATA SSD, and a 2TB HDD. The way windows manages the drives however is that the HDD is disk 0, 1TB SSD is disk 1, and my boot drive is disk 2. There are two partitions on my boot drive reserved for the system, which is normal for...
  8. Why is a there a 50MB "System Reserved" partition on my tertiary drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ???

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System reserved on the same drive as my HDD ???: Started doing some cleaning and guttering of the system today and found that my HDD which is just used for mass junk storage like movies, Shadowplay recordings etc etc has 2 drive letters assigned to it.. And thought thats weird. then looked in dis management and seen that it...
  10. Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters?

Why my System Reserved partition have drive letters?: This happens when I plug my external hard drive that containing my Windows 10 into my Windows 7 laptop and then boot from my Windows 10 which is on that external hard drive. When I open Disk Management in my Windows 10 I see that my Windows 7 System Reserved partition which...