Windows 10: Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?

Discus and support Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? In previous builds there was a higher limit or no limit. If the item listed was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by groze, Jun 11, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?

In previous builds there was a higher limit or no limit. If the item listed was off-screen, you just scrolled whether or not the start menu was full size or not. In build 10130 there is a limit, not only that if you have a lower screen resolution there is even a lower limit. Kind of waste to have a start screen (Not app list) if you are going to limit on how much can be put on it. Might as well use the taskbar or desktop shortcuts.

:)

groze, Jun 11, 2015

2. Is there shortcuts that can be pinned to the home-screen for disabling mobile-network, WiFi and GPS to save battery?

No. there is no such feature as of right now, nor do i see it in the foreseeable feature. My understanding is that even if the feature is turned on, unless a specific application or os request request access to the chip the polling time is severely reduce.
    example if you are using bing maps the gps chip will then have its polling time set to about 10 - 100 ms once the app quits the pooling time increases to a couple of minutes to make sure chip is active. think of this as a keep-alive timer. Same goes with wifi.
    In-fact with my hd7 i have seen that unless i am using data over wireless whether its on or off i only see a very slight difference in battery use, i am talking about an extra 5 - 15 mins of overall battery usage per day.

Hope this helps. And i get where you are coming from being used to the sense u.i in windows mobile 6.5 / android its one of those useful features where the os did not handle those chips properly.

platinumacetric, Jun 11, 2015
  3. jagi4 Win User
    Is there shortcuts that can be pinned to the home-screen for disabling mobile-network, WiFi and GPS to save battery?

Is there shortcuts that can be pinned to the home-screen for disabling mobile-network, WiFi and GPS to save battery?

jagi4, Jun 11, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I found that you have to restart your PC to pin more items.. it works for me at least. Give it a try.

BunnyJ, Jun 12, 2015
  5. pbcopter Win User
    I have not seen a limit but the only way I can continue to add to the start screen is by dragging and dropping the icons from the all program list.

pbcopter, Jun 12, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Same issue.. I try to say add a third item to the start and it doesn't work. I restart my PC and then I can. I hope there is a fix for this issue soon,

BunnyJ, Jun 12, 2015
  7. Another way to pin more items to the Start Menu when it won't pin any more items is to open "Task Manager" and restart "explorer.exe" under the processes tab. This way you will not have to restart your computer.

Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? [​IMG]

IownAmoneyPit, Jun 12, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Thanks.. I'll use that from now on.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jun 12, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    Thank you for the info.

groze, Jun 12, 2015
  10. Are you saying that your Start Screen does not scroll?

I haven't 'filled' mine up, but a vertical scroll bar does appear from time to time - just about the time when I can no longer open Start.

Try toggling Settings > Personalize > Start switches on or off - that brings my Start menu back to life. IT sometimes takes a toggle on followed by a toggle off. I don't know if this trick will help the scrolling issue though.

The issue where pin-to-start does nothing was occurring on this machine, but that seems to have settled down (probably because I pin less often now that most of the pgms are already there).
    I resorted to pinning things from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or pinning the exe from Program Files.

The re-sizing bouncing tile issue - seems to be the last tile 'touched', so I always 'touch' 3d Builder last. By touch, I mean move or re size.

There definitely are some issues with Start in 10.0.130, but then there are new features and with that .... you know .... issues *Wink

Slartybart, Jun 12, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    When Start is in full screen mode it doesn't scroll at all in any direction. I think it scrolled a little but not much when Start was not in full screen mode.

groze, Jun 12, 2015
  12. That's what I thought you meant ... please feed MS your experience if you haven't already.

I just pinned a whole bunch of things to my Start - scroll works here (full screen). Windows automatically created groups (4 rows, 3 columns medium size tiles).

See if you have any groups that are larger than 4 rows x 3 columns (medium size tiles ... 4 small tiles = 1 medium tile) - if you do, try rearranging them so no group exceeds that layout.

Slartybart, Jun 12, 2015
  13. groze Win User

Update, Microsoft must be reading these forums. An update must of patched this issue.

Here is a screenshot. I can pin at least this much. I don't know if there is still a limit of how many items can be pinned.

Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? [​IMG]

groze, Jun 18, 2015
  14. Glad to hear that one is sorted groze.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? - Similar Threads - Why limit items

2. Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?: I'm a log time user of Windows 10. Every 3 months approximately over the last 4 or 5 years, two things happen:1 I click on the Start menu and nothing appears.This next bit is predictable and always happens next...2 After a reboot, all my pinned start bar items have...
  3. Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?: I'm a log time user of Windows 10. Every 3 months approximately over the last 4 or 5 years, two things happen:1 I click on the Start menu and nothing appears.This next bit is predictable and always happens next...2 After a reboot, all my pinned start bar items have...
  4. Why do pinned items keep disappearing from the Start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Pinned items disappear in start menu

Pinned items disappear in start menu: I'm facing a problem recently. I pinned some softwares in start menu. But when I turned on my PC again, I saw that they are missing !!! I've pinned again and they disappeared again Would you like to tell me that what's the problem and how can I fix it?...
  6. Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro

Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro: I have 3 new laptops I am using for a business. They are all running Windows 10 Pro. I recall in earlier versions of Windows I could use gpedit to limit the number of items shown on the Start Menu, e.g. only show Internet Explorer and WSFTP. It would look like a very small...
  7. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  8. Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Item pinned to Start Menu is not visible: I pinned Windows Update to my Start Menu. After some time, I noticed it was gone and tried to re-pin it. But when I right-clicked on the setting, all that showed up was "Unpin from Start." Selecting that option causes the dialog window to crash/close. As things stand, I...
  9. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  10. Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with pinning items to start menu in win10: Hey guys. Lately Windows has started behaving really odd in the way it deals with pinning. It was fine when I first set up win10 but now it doesn't work properly. I want to see if I can resolve this as I really don't feel like wiping and installing everything again....