Windows 10: Why is there a wake up timer by default?

Discus and support Why is there a wake up timer by default? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Could someone explain this to me? Why is it that when getting a new computer, or even upgrading the the old one from Windows 8 to 10, there is a timer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AnthonyNguyen567, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Why is there a wake up timer by default?

Could someone explain this to me? Why is it that when getting a new computer, or even upgrading the the old one from Windows 8 to 10, there is a timer that wakes the computer from sleep in the middle of the night? And more importantly, why is this the default?

I'm only about as tech savvy as the average person these days, so maybe there's something I'm missing. I just know that when I put the computer to sleep, I don't want it waking until I need to go back to what I was doing.

:)

AnthonyNguyen567, Jun 16, 2020
  2. r0k2 Win User

Windows wakes up with Wake Timers set to off

Dear Geethu! Really thanks for such fast reply. But!

In other words - you don't know how to get rid of wake events! Did you underastand my question? How exactly your solution is helping in getting rid of wake events?

I do not want to troubleshoot power as I said before, I want Windows not to wake up no matter what is set in Allow Wake Timers setting. I want to turn off Wake Timers for real, once and for all, and forget about them for the rest of my life.

And the question (after applying your solution) still remains: why PC is waking up if Wake Timers are disabled?

Of course your solution is not working.

3. How to stop wake timers

Hello,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I will be glad to assist you with the issue you are experiencing with the computer. I understand the difficulty when things won’t work the way they should.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps you regarding the issue to resolve.

To see a list of wake timers set on your computer, you can run the following command.

Note: this command must be run as Administrator.

• Press Windows + X keys and select Command prompt (Admin)
    • Type powercfg -waketimers and hit enter.

If a specific program is causing your computer to wake, you can uninstall it or adjust the scheduled task’s settings in the Windows task scheduler.

However, if you don’t want any programs waking your computer up automatically, you can disable wake timers entirely.

To do so,

• Press Start and Type Power Options and select it.
    • Click the Change plan settings link in the Power Options window.

Why is there a wake up timer by default? 650x637ximage377.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic._BXVbM-ApT.png

• In the next window, click Change advanced power settings.

Why is there a wake up timer by default? 650x637ximage378.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.QTB5u-R50e.png

• Expand the Sleep section, expand the Allow wake timers
      section, and ensure that wake timers are set to
      Disabled

Why is there a wake up timer by default? 478x581ximage379.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.93O1oOlR6G.png

• Click OK and restart the machine. Check if the same issue persists.
    Hope this information helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 16, 2020
  4. btroiyesr Win User

Why is there a wake up timer by default?

How to stop wake timers

That didn't work. I tried what you suggested as well as many other things before posting my question and that's why you can see my frustration and anger in my post. If you search online, you will find thousands of frustrated people writing posts stating
    that those steps didn't work for them either.

Here is what I have tried so far:

I disabled wake timers in all power profiles on my system.

I disabled the Reboot task in Task Scheduler

Running Get-ScheduledTask | where {$_.settings.waketorun} in PowerShell returns nothing

Running powercfg -devicequery wake_armed in PowerShell returns NONE

Running powercfg -waketimers returns "There are no active wake timers in the system."

I disabled "Enabling Windows Update Power Management..." in the Group Policy Editor

In Control Panel > Automatic Maintenance, I disabled "Allow scheduled maintenance to wake my computer..." and changed the time to 4:00pm just in case

And, still, that doesn't prevent my computer from waking up in the middle of the night. This is infuriating. This should not be a hard thing to disable. It's MY computer, not Microsoft's, and I should determine if I want it to wake up or not.

So, do you have any other suggestions?

btroiyesr, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Why is there a wake up timer by default?

1. Why is there a wake up timer by default? - Similar Threads - Why wake timer

2. How do i set up wake timers?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do i set up wake timers?: I dont get any farther after i select enable wake timers in advanced power options. As soon as i click apply and then ok i expect to see another set of choices but nothing happens. i feel stupid. I want my computer to wake upat 3:00 in the morning to do scheduled backups, and...
  3. Laptop wakes up when wake timers are set to OFF

Laptop wakes up when wake timers are set to OFF: When I put my computer on sleep mode, every maybe 2-3 hours, it wakes up on the lock screen, and it just sleeps again after a few minutes which is the Windows automatically sleeping after certain amount of time.Why does this happen even if the wake timers are set to off?...
  4. Laptop wakes up when wake timers are set to OFF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop wakes up when wake timers are set to OFF: When I put my computer on sleep mode, every maybe 2-3 hours, it wakes up on the lock screen, and it just sleeps again after a few minutes which is the Windows automatically sleeping after certain amount of time.Why does this happen even if the wake timers are set to off?...
  5. Laptop wakes up when wake timers are set to OFF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?

Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?: I’m having an issue whereby after putting my PC to sleep it always wakes up after only 10-20 seconds. Within the Event Viewer the wake source is listed as unknown. Interestingly, when I put the PC back to sleep a second time it remains sound asleep until I actively wake it. I...
  7. Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?: I’m having an issue whereby after putting my PC to sleep it always wakes up after only 10-20 seconds. Within the Event Viewer the wake source is listed as unknown. Interestingly, when I put the PC back to sleep a second time it remains sound asleep until I actively wake it. I...
  8. Wake Source Unknown: Wake Timer Settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Windows 10 having wake times off still wakes up with Wake Timers

Windows 10 having wake times off still wakes up with Wake Timers: Hello team, I set Wake Timers off and expected to have my PC to sleep normally without any wake up. However, wake up persist as I can't even put it to sleep, thus shut down is needed. What have I tried: - reset power plans and turned off wake timers again - Windows...
  10. Wake timers

Wake timers: Hey all, i was wondering about the wake timers in windows... my pc has been waking up in the middle of the night because of wake timers, and while i know how to disable them, i was wondering if there could be any adverse effects of doing this? The timers seem to be set by...