Windows 10: Why is there missing GB from my hard drive?

Discus and support Why is there missing GB from my hard drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Please note i'm not very tech savvy with computers!!! so i may have done something wrong :-( After initialising/formatting an old laptop hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by StrainedVase852, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Why is there missing GB from my hard drive?

Please note i'm not very tech savvy with computers!!! so i may have done something wrong :-(

After initialising/formatting an old laptop hard drive to use as a USB external drive I find it missing GB of space!?

The hard drive is 320GB. however, it is only showing me that there is 297GB free of 298GB....

So where is the additional 22GB gone???

ALSO; Does wiping free space cause any problems???

If anyone can help it will be very much appreciated, thank you.

:)

StrainedVase852, Apr 5, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Hard Drive Space Missing

Hi,

It is possible that hard drive space was missing due to a corrupted file system. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried deleting temporary files?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far aside from checked the hidden files?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Apr 5, 2019
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Apr 5, 2019
  4. Clockman Win User

Why is there missing GB from my hard drive?

Mystery Hard drive

1 TB hard drive had approximately 750 GB in use.
    Made an image of the 1 TB hard drive.
    Installed the image on a new 2 TB hard drive and now it shows only 488 GB in use.
    No, the new hard drive is not showing any compression being used.
    All programs, data, pictures and music all seem to be on the drive.
    Nothing is missing that we know of.
    Any Suggestions or comments?

Clockman, Apr 5, 2019
Thema:

Why is there missing GB from my hard drive?

1. Why is there missing GB from my hard drive? - Similar Threads - Why missing hard

2. Missing Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Hard Drive.: i have a hard drive on my PC which i can't see. This happened when i installed windows 11 from scratch. I have moved the disc to my other PC which is still Windows 10 but i can't see it on there either....
  3. Missing Hard Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing Hard Drive.: i have a hard drive on my PC which i can't see. This happened when i installed windows 11 from scratch. I have moved the disc to my other PC which is still Windows 10 but i can't see it on there either....
  4. Missing hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing hard drive: I am running Windows 10 and when I booted up this morning, one of my internal drives I is not listed in configuration. How can I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-hard-drive/7006fa88-6a3f-4adc-b19a-e6e75ee79502
  5. Missing 100 or more GB from my C drive.

Missing 100 or more GB from my C drive.: I have recently been running into the issue of a lack of space on my C drive. On the normal devices and drives page, the drive claims to have 29.7 GB free out of 475 GB total. This would mathematically mean that 445 GB are used on the C drive. However, when I open the drive,...
  6. Upgrade Hard Drive from 128GB to 512 GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade Hard Drive from 128GB to 512 GB: Hello. . . I am operating a Dell Inspirion 7786 with a 64 bit Operating system, x64 based processor I am attempting to upgrade from an 128GB (filled up SUPER fast) to a 512 GB hard drive. Computer has a separate 1T storage drive. I have learned that I have a PCIe x 4...
  7. Windows folder takes 65,8 GB from my hard drive and that's a lot

Windows folder takes 65,8 GB from my hard drive and that's a lot: (Windows 10) I have 118 GB in total and the Windows folder is taking up almost half of it and that doesn't sound right, is there anything I can do? Anything I can safely delete? Can I even clean that folder at all?...
  8. Folders missing from hard drive

Folders missing from hard drive: I have a Surface Pro. A few days ago I copied 4 folders of image files (jpg and cr2) to the C: drive in the Pictures folder and now those folders are gone, 4 days of vacation photos wiped out. wtf is going on?...
  9. Missing hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing hard drive: I posted several days ago of my stupidity when I blew away the partitions on my physical "D:" drive by mistake, taking out about 20 years of family photos with very little backup. Since that time I have tried various recovery tools, but suspect I am just slinging mud at a...
  10. Factory reset... now missing 40+ GB of hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory reset... now missing 40+ GB of hard drive space?: Good evening everyone! So, I just got finished doing a nice fresh factory reset as Windows did some updates and my computer run slower than molasses in January. After it was done, I had some 60-70 (out of 118) GB of free space on my SSD. Short story shorter I had to...