Windows 10: Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V?

Discus and support Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; All I see when I right click my servers is "reset" and there is no reboot option. Reset isn't the same, right? So how can I reboot as opposed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mike6623, Dec 13, 2016.

1. mike6623 Win User

Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V?

All I see when I right click my servers is "reset" and there is no reboot option. Reset isn't the same, right? So how can I reboot as opposed to resetting?

:)

mike6623, Dec 13, 2016

2. X6: why is there no photo album option in the gallery?

I think you can achieve what you want to do on the X6. On the X6 an album is termed a folder.

If you go to the Gallery so that you can see the large list of thumbnail photos and select

Options > Folder options > New folder

Create the folder with a name of your choice.

You should then see a folder icon appear at the top of the large list of thumbnail images. If you then select, or 'Mark', the images that you want to group together by selecting

Options > Mark/Unmark > Mark (you may have to scroll down before Mark/Unmark appears).

Once you have a little tick by all the photos that you want to group together then select

Options > Folder options > Move to folder and choose the folder you created earlier.

You should then have only those images grouped together in a single folder (or album Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? ;) ). You can create as many folders as you like. I use this method to group all my wallpaper images together and also any system images that the gallery may discover so
    that they don't clog up the main gallery.

Note: From what I can see the actual locations of the photographs on either drive C: or drive E: remain unchanged, only their listing within the gallery is changed so that an image appears in the main group or within a 'folder'.

Hope that helps and I hope I've understood you correctly in terms of what you want to do.

S.

steve_p---01, Dec 13, 2016
  3. X6: why is there no photo album option in the gallery?

why is there no photo album option in the gallery?

other units like the N79 had this option..

but i dont get why they didnt include it with X6 Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? :(

that sucks... ive had alot of trouble finding reliable and working photo programs that allow

photo album... usually compatibility problems... Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? :(

many thanks for youre help Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? :D

JIRAIYA_03, Dec 13, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Use elevated PowerShell to manage Hyper-V. In screenshot below I have booted a vm, then restarted it and finally shut it down:

Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? [​IMG]

Start a vm: Start-VM "vm name" Restart a vm: Restart-VM "vm name" Shut down a vm: Stop-VM "vm name" Use Reset only in emergency situations when vm simply does not work, is totally frozen. It's hard reset, same as if you hold down the power button on a physical machine for a few seconds to make it turn off instead of shut down, then start the machine again.

5. mike6623 Win User
    Any chance you can answer WHY there is no option to reboot? Even though it is a stated option when researching Hyper-V? So are you saying that there is no option to reboot a vm without using powershell? That makes no sense/

mike6623, Feb 14, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    I only told you an alternative way to shut down or restart a Hyper-V VM. You mentioning Reset which is available in Action menu I thought you meant why is there no restart option in that menu.

Of course you also restart (and shut down) a Hyper-V VM totally normally as any other Windows machine from Start > Power:

And, naturally, from right clicking Start and selecting Shut down or sign out:

7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Reboot actually doesn't mean anything for a VM - the terminology used is POWER OFF and POWER ON (sometimes also RESTART GUEST).

This will shut down the VM process --you will get back to the start screen with the VM config options.

If you want to simply reboot the OS that's usually done from WITHIN THE GUEST.

Might not seem much of a difference - it's just the "technical terms" used within the VM context - doesn't matter what VM software you are using.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2017
  8. Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V?

The manager has a "Shutdown" option in the context (right-click) menu, and, when the guest is off, it has a "Start" option. Thus it should be trivial for them to combine the two in a single menu item.

There are often situations when I need to ensure that a half-dozen or more guests get rebooted before I leave the office. I really don't want to wait and watch each one finish shutting down before I can restart them. If I had a "Reboot" option, I could simply click reboot on each one of them and leave.

evenmoreconfuse, Oct 3, 2017
  9. FerchogtX Win User
    As all the guys said to you, there is no such thing as a "Reboot" button for virtual machines, neither of the available options offer that, not even Virtualbox, VmWare, Hyper-V...

This is done inside the VM, like it it was a normal computer, you got to start menu and look for shutdown options and then choose reboot... there cannot be a reboot button simply because it must need to send the reboot instruction to the VM, so the OS closes all it's tasks, frees memory and shuts down, and afterwards, commences all the booting process again.

If you use Hyper-V, @Kari already gave you an option so you can reboot your machines all at once, but still, that resets the machine, doesn't trigger the reboot process, which is entirely different, if you restar machines willy nilly, you can cause many errors and problems with services and OS components that need a shutdown instruction to not fail.

I use VMWare... and not even me has a button for reboots... I think that doesn't exist...

FerchogtX, Oct 11, 2017
  10. roy111 Win User
    KVM has the restart option "button" so there is such thing in the realm of VM:

but if you need to restart several machine you better go
    with a script in powershell

roy111, Oct 11, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User

Semantics, really. Since VMs live as a Guest under the Host, the term "Reboot" applies to the host system. In any virtual system, the term usually seen is "Restart Guest", or something of that nature. Which will re-initialize the Guest as if you had "Booted" it. Just words. An example from VMWare on my machine:

f14tomcat, Oct 11, 2017
  12. roy111 Win User
    It's not semantic it's a very different feature, that operation would possibly damage the guest OS, and does not perform a clean reboot
    you also get a warning if you try to use it:

it is very different from a clean reboot that safely disable all guest OS services to perform a clean reboot
    (probably what the OP is looking for)

roy111, Oct 11, 2017
  13. f14tomcat Win User

You get the warning you posted if you click Shutdown, not Restart Guest.

f14tomcat, Oct 11, 2017
  14. roy111 Win User
    No, are you trolling me?

roy111, Oct 11, 2017
  15. Well, it's nice that VMWare has (or may have) that option, but the question at hand is why it's not in Hyper-V.

Since the Hyper-V Manager has a "Shutdown" option -- which is a clean shutdown, same as if you do shutdown in the guest itself -- and it also has a "Start" option for stopped guests, it's trivial to add a menu option to:
    1. issue a shutdown;
    2. wait for the machine state to change to stopped;
    3. issue a start.

Simple. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want to further clutter up an already very complex context menu.

evenmoreconfuse, Oct 11, 2017
Thema:

1. Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? - Similar Threads - Why reboot option

2. Activating all Hyper V options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating all Hyper V options: Hello,I started a course in servers and virtual machines, and I was told to activate Hyper V with all options enabled.One option is greyed out in the picture.How can I enable the Hyper V platform?Thank you...
  3. Activating all Hyper V options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating all Hyper V options: Hello,I started a course in servers and virtual machines, and I was told to activate Hyper V with all options enabled.One option is greyed out in the picture.How can I enable the Hyper V platform?Thank you...
  4. Activating all Hyper V options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. No sleep options on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    No sleep options on Hyper-V: I installed 2 machines on Hyper-V and none of them have the Sleep options under "Power Options". Is there a fix? Thanks 178766
  6. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  7. Cannot see option Install Operating System on HYPER-V

Cannot see option Install Operating System on HYPER-V: Hi there Cannot see any option on HYPER-V to INSTALL an OS ????!!. The management and configuration screens come up but HOW do I install the OS and Start the VM !!! Using WINDOWS 10 as HOST. Cheers jimbo 2281
  8. Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option

Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option: I added an existing .VHD (XP SP3 guest OS, which I originally created in Virtual PC 2007 running on an XP SP3 host OS) to Hyper-V via the Hyper-V Manager. It worked fine, except, I have no "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option in the Action menu, so I have no video,...
  9. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  10. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
Tags: