Windows 10: Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V?

Discus and support Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; No, are you trolling me? [img] [img] No sir, I do not troll anyone. It is against the Forum Rules. The first screen you posted is from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mike6623, Dec 13, 2016.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V?

No sir, I do not troll anyone. It is against the Forum Rules.

The first screen you posted is from within the Guest OS. The second screen you posted is from the VMWare main launcher. Powering off a VM that has been suspended will generate that "reset" message. Two different scenarios.

f14tomcat, Oct 11, 2017

2. In Hyper-V, "Turn Off" is a hard shutdown, similar to unplugging a physical machine. Hyper-V can inflict this on any guest at all, since it basically just kills everything and doesn't give it any opportunity to save anything. This is actually even worse that a "normal" power-off on a (newer) physical machine, because modern power buttons work by sending an immediate shutdown command to the OS, so that IOs get completed, and key services get to do an orderly shutdown. Thus Hyper-V's "Turn Off" is an immediate and complete stop, and is usually quite risky.

In contrast, "Shutdown" uses one the Hyper-V Integration Services (appropriately named "Operating System Shutdown) to issue a shutdown command to the guest. Thus it only works on guest OSes that support Integration Services, and has the same effect as if the user had selected shutdown on the start menu, or issued shutdown /t 0 /s at the command prompt.

evenmoreconfuse, Oct 11, 2017
  3. roy111 Win User
    They are both from the VMWare main launcher, you can try yourself.

roy111, Oct 11, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Not important. Way off topic to the OP's question anyhow. So, end of VMWare discussion.

f14tomcat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is there no reboot option in Hyper-V? - Similar Threads - Why reboot option

2. Activating all Hyper V options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating all Hyper V options: Hello,I started a course in servers and virtual machines, and I was told to activate Hyper V with all options enabled.One option is greyed out in the picture.How can I enable the Hyper V platform?Thank you...
  3. Activating all Hyper V options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating all Hyper V options: Hello,I started a course in servers and virtual machines, and I was told to activate Hyper V with all options enabled.One option is greyed out in the picture.How can I enable the Hyper V platform?Thank you...
  4. Activating all Hyper V options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. No sleep options on Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    No sleep options on Hyper-V: I installed 2 machines on Hyper-V and none of them have the Sleep options under "Power Options". Is there a fix? Thanks 178766
  6. Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V: Hi, As anyone tried Hyper-V yet, as isn't it suppose to be an emulator so we can play old games like Silver etc... 6618
  7. Cannot see option Install Operating System on HYPER-V

Cannot see option Install Operating System on HYPER-V: Hi there Cannot see any option on HYPER-V to INSTALL an OS ????!!. The management and configuration screens come up but HOW do I install the OS and Start the VM !!! Using WINDOWS 10 as HOST. Cheers jimbo 2281
  8. Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option

Hyper-V: No "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option: I added an existing .VHD (XP SP3 guest OS, which I originally created in Virtual PC 2007 running on an XP SP3 host OS) to Hyper-V via the Hyper-V Manager. It worked fine, except, I have no "Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option in the Action menu, so I have no video,...
  9. Clarification on Hyper-V

Clarification on Hyper-V: I see that Windows 10 Pro includes Hyper-V. If enabled, would this work on a client system much the same way as VMWare Player, VirtualBox, etc? I'm very familiar with both of those hypervisors, but have never used the Microsoft offering, and I'm just looking for...
  10. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
Tags: