Windows 10: Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary?

Discus and support Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm sorry but I didn't go to school for this so I’m still trying to understand all of this. It's been months and I still haven't gotten the hang of it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CerebralFreeze, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary?

I'm sorry but I didn't go to school for this so I’m still trying to understand all of this. It's been months and I still haven't gotten the hang of it. I'm sure this goes for many people like me.

The question today is:

Why do I need to access my own VPN when I'm accessing the internet outside using someone's unsecured wifi (eg. coffee shop)?

Doesn't SSH encrypt the data between you and the website you're accessing? So, doesn't everything you communicate with the website get encrypted? How does the host that offers the free wifi get access to your data?

Now say you're outside again but this time, you are in the same coffee shop but first access your own VPN server and then start going to other websites on the internet. How does doing this make you more secure? You access your own VPN server via SSH so that the data is encrypted like before. But, now all data goes through the VPN server first and then back out to the internet. How is this safer?

I guess I just don't get it. I'm missing something here.

:)

CerebralFreeze, Feb 19, 2018

2. My N8 does not recognize or connect to unsecured wifi network

My N8 does not recognize or connect to unsecured wifi network. I don't know why but even my old N82 picks up unsecured wifi networks without a problem.

Does anyone know why? I need help please.

Tekky---01, Feb 19, 2018
  3. McAfee reports Microsoft Edge is unsecure

"Since Edge is used so often, integrated into so much of Windows 10 and has many good features it is very hard to understand why it is now unsecure in McAfee's
    warning"

Thanks to 'insider' reply. Here's the issue, either a non-IT professional should be using Edge or they shouldn't. It is either a prank that McAfee didn't issue or Microsoft will correct whatever McAfee is warning about "extensions" making Edge unsecure.

Non-IT professionals don't have the time to waste on vulnerability they can't do anything about and the program, McAfee, that is supposed to protect them is warning that 'Edge is a major danger so use Internet Explorer.'

Boy, the new W10 is great, but either it's safe or isn't. Why should a user have to even worry that it is so vulnerable that McAfee doesn't like it? How frustrating is that? Thanks again everybody!

2015 WIN10, Feb 19, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary?

Whatever faults Norton/Symantec may have, they do a good job of educating users. Here's an article they wrote recently (it's got a 2018 copyright on it, but I don't see a date in the HTML source markup) entitled "What is a VPN? And why you should use a a VPN on public Wi-Fi." I believe it will answer your questions, and address your concerns.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 19, 2018
  5. Major sites requiring HTTPS/TLS is a very recent advancement and still not all sites require it. Even ones that do may still be vulnerable to downgrade attacks like SSL Strip for Newbies — Thanks to Moxie Marlinspike Whiskey Tango Foxtrot .

From the time you associate with an open WiFi AP there is a lot of unencrypted traffic between your PC and the network before you even get to the first encrypted packet. For instance, to get to https:// google.com your PC needs to send ARP requests, DNS queries, as well as the initial TLS handshake, which are all unencrypted/unauthenticated. That's not to mention any background traffic from Windows or other apps aside from your browser that you might now know about.

Man-in-the-middle attacks can and do take advantage of this brief period by posing as a legitimate AP (or by hijacking a legitimate AP - see http://www.fire-fx.tv/blog/2017/3/17...-in-the-middle

You can mitigate all these with careful vetting of every AP you're connecting to but it's much simpler to just use a VPN.

PolarNettles, Feb 19, 2018
  6. Ed,

Thanks for the link but I have literally read similar explanations like a 100 times but I still don't get it.

It doesn't really explain in detail why accessing via HTTPS is any different than accessing via VPN. I read your link and it states that initially, data is exchanged that isn't encrypted as they probe each other. But wouldn't this happen when you first initially contact a VPN server?

CerebralFreeze, Feb 20, 2018
  7. Polar,

I read the links but I still have the same question. How does the VPN server provide more security than accessing via HTTPS? Couldn't a man in the middle attack do the same thing as when you contact a server via HTTPS? It can pose as a VPN server but then forward the info you give to the VPN server and establish itself between you and the VPN server just like it does when you access a website connected via HTTPS?

There is one detail I forgot to mention in my initial post. I was referring to a personal VPN (not a VPN service provider) that I created between two of my networks. I created a VPN tunnel between two networks between my home and my parent's home. The VPN servers are my routers and I connected my smartphone to my personal VPN via my routers.

Is this safe to do? Or does it have the same security issues as connecting to a website that offers an HTTPS connection?

CerebralFreeze, Feb 20, 2018
  8. Mystere Win User

Let me give you a very real, and common example.

You go into a very busy coffee shop with public wifi, and you want to access your bank's site.

So, you go to Web Server's Default Page and it presents you with the site, and you even see that it's encrypted. So good, right?

Wrong.

An attacker has, in reality, compromised the Wifi's DNS configuration, and is routing all request to Web Server's Default Page to his own site that looks exactly like the real one. When you enter your credentials, he responds with a "We're sorry, an error occurred" or something and he nabs them and uses them to log into your bank site and steal your money.

Because DNS is insecure, a compromised DNS configuration essentially means you cannot trust that you're actually going to any site you think you're going to, and regardless of whether you are using HTTPS and see a lock icon, your trust is misplaced.

Mystere, Feb 20, 2018
  9. If you configured your client and server correctly, there is no way for a MITM attack on the connection (aside from some bug). The TLS handshake guarantees that. This applies to both your VPN (assuming it uses TLS) and HTTPS.

The problem comes from misconfigured or out-of-date client/server software. For instance, downgrade attacks allow a MITM to force the client and server to use an obsolete cipher suite by modifying the initial TLS negotiation. Ideally these old ciphers would be disabled but they linger around for backwards compatibility and people don't bother removing them. Again, this is true for both your VPN and HTTPS website, but you actually have control over how your VPN is configured.

The other problem is that HTTPS protects a only single connection. VPN protects all your connections. If you are 100% sure that you only have one socket connected to an HTTPS server, that server is using the proper security (certificate pinning, HSTS), you are verifying the certificate for that server, and you are using a trusted DNSSEC server for all your DNS queries, then yes, you won't really get any additional benefit with using a VPN. Of course, websites pull in content from multiple sources (i.e. for ads and scripts), so you'd have to verify those connections as well. And Windows does stuff all the time in the background so you'd have to check those connections too.
    As long as you keep the routers up to date with security fixes then that's perfectly fine.

PolarNettles, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is using unsecured wifi so DANGEROUS that a VPN is necessary? - Similar Threads - Why using unsecured

2. Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my WiFi stop working when I use VPN?: I have installed Surfshark VPN a year ago and wifi was working OK.Two weeks ago, internet starts to disconnect when VPN is on.I have tried to uninstall VPN and reset Window, then set up VPN again, but problem still exists.Please help....
  3. Wifi and Vpn?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi and Vpn?: Don't know if this is the right forum but hear goes.I have spectrum internet and wifi.My two computers are hard wired to the wifi modem.My wife on the other hand is in her office working.She is on the bank site which requires her to go through there vpn.My question is could I...
  4. VPN and wifi

VPN and wifi: I use nordvpn and yourphone apps. When I am connected to my vpn I cannot connect to my phone. I disable vpn and it works until my vpn reumes and then nada https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-and-wifi/33e343b1-6e8d-4352-baba-c0d00bb3f571
  5. VPN Wifi

VPN Wifi: hello, I can not get my laptop to connect to my WIFI. I have messeages poping up about the VPN. I have tried to redo the VPN but it keeps say 'Parameter is incorrect'. I have updated my computer and rest it multiple time. please help. thanks...
  6. Unsecure WiFi connection used at home I rent a room in

Unsecure WiFi connection used at home I rent a room in: I rent a room in a house with six other tenants. The owner of the place includes internet in the rent but the connection doesn't require a password. Is it safe to connect to it? How do I protect my data? Do I need a VPN? Wth is that? -haha- Thanks in advance!!...
  7. Why Are Public Networks Dangerous??

in Windows 10 Support
    Why Are Public Networks Dangerous??: I've read about the dangers of being connected to a free, public network. When I do connect to a public network, I dont check my email and I dont send any data out. So how can a hacker hack me if all I'm doing is just downloading files from a credible source? 127359
  8. Unsecure Connection

Unsecure Connection: Hello During the last couple of days when I try to connect to sites, this error message is coming up saying 'Your connection is unsecure'. I am therefore unable to connect to anything. Hope someone can help. Thankyou...
  9. VPN and Security using Public WiFi

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN and Security using Public WiFi: Since all of the higher rated VPN's use good encryption methods, I was wondering, if you are already on a secure website does adding a VPN fully protect your traffic from snoopers? Thanks. 123977
  10. Win 10 Automatically connecting to unsecured WiFi

Win 10 Automatically connecting to unsecured WiFi: Hello, I have taken my Surface Pro (2017) into work recently, and it has a habit of connecting to any unsecured connection in range. I have never connected to these signals on this device, and I don't have any plans to connect to these unsecured WiFi connections. However,...