Windows 10: why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken?

Discus and support why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken? in Cortana to solve the problem; So I have XP and Win 10, XP search works just fine, so much so that I put any files I want to search on a USB to have XP find what I need. SO WHY... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by BS_83, Jan 17, 2019.

1. BS_83 Win User

why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken?

So I have XP and Win 10, XP search works just fine, so much so that I put any files I want to search on a USB to have XP find what I need.

SO WHY DOES WIN 10 Search SUCK?

It does not matter if you use quotes or not, if there is a space in the search phrase it ALWAYS searches AND/OR then returns ANY and ALL results from files that contain ANY of the words not the "phrase", where as XP does not and returns only the phrase input.

So what gives? Did MS hire a bunch of idiots who don't remember how or why WIN 7 and Vista SUCKED so bad?

FIX your product... or I am going back to Ubuntu live!

why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken? 7471fa50-6903-4bf1-b9b0-51904d50e294?upload=true.jpg

why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken? 53808256-8e65-4372-b99d-7b25e4d2e8e8?upload=true.jpg

:)

BS_83, Jan 17, 2019
  2. emanymton Win User

Windows 10 - How to search an exact phrase in file contents?

To search for an exact phrase within a file, type “content:” and then the word/phrase. For example,
    content:”feet smell like scallions”

emanymton, Jan 17, 2019
  3. Tim490 Win User
    searching windows explorer 10 file contents for exact phrase

Previous to Windows 10 I was able to search the contents of all files in a folder for a specific phrase by hitting control F, choosing the option to search for a phrase, and simply typing the phrase into the search box.

In Windows 10 I have discovered how to search the content of the files (instead of just the file names) by starting my search with content:

However, if what I am searching for is a phrase instead of just a single word it finds all files with any of the words in the phrase instead of the entire phrase intact. I have tried adding quotes and it does not make a difference.

For example, say I want to search for the phrase "windows explorer help"

If I search for content: windows explorer help or content: "windows explorer help" it will return all files that contain any of the words windows, explorer, or help.

Does anybody know how I can search the contents of the files in a folder for an entire intact phrase as I was able to in previous versions?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Tim490, Jan 17, 2019
  4. nmarch Win User

searching for an exact phrase in files in a given folder in Windows 10

Thanks RobertWin - it seems that the main issue was in the Windows settings - needed to switch to Index Properties and File Contents. Now I'm able to search exact phrases using double quotes as you suggest.

nmarch, Jan 17, 2019
Thema:

1. why is WIN 10 Search of file contents exact phrase broken? - Similar Threads - why Search file

2. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  3. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  4. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer

How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents - explorer: Hi, I am after some help, this question has been asked several times in the community but the suggestions are not working so I will ask again maybe somebody found a workaround. Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents? I am searching daily through 1000...
  6. Since I started using Win 10 home or work computer, search of file contents exact phrase...

in Cortana
    Since I started using Win 10 home or work computer, search of file contents exact phrase...: This is really a problem because I need always to search for names and addresses in files, and order makes a great difference in these cases. I use a portuguese version, but I was searching in English posts because I thought it would be easy to find a solution in those...
  7. How to search for exact match in file contents?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to search for exact match in file contents?: Is it possible to specify an exact match when searching for text within the contents of files? I am trying to use the search bar in the upper right corner of Windows Explorer to search for an exact text string in a folder full of PDFs and have tried the following methods...
  8. Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents

Windows 10 - How to search an EXACT PHRASE in file contents: When searching file contents for an exact phrase buy using quotes such as "site assessment" the search results includeall files that contain the words and "site" or "assessment" and not the exact phrase. How do you limit the search results to exactly what is typed in quotes?...
  9. Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Searching for contents of file NAME not the contents of files?????: I have maybe 500 files in a folder, one file for each model of our products. The thing about the model names is that the number of the model is at the end of the file name, like C19QZHW203 and the name of the next model number might be C19WRZT204, in other words, I cant sort...
  10. Search query too narrow. "Exact word/phrase" only and not "Contains"

in Windows 10 Support
    Search query too narrow. "Exact word/phrase" only and not "Contains": Recently I was getting confused and frustrate that files I were searching for weren't being included in the search results for my queries. It seems that the search parameters are restricted to "Exact word/phrase" and not "Contains. Example: search "Broad", comes up fine...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search windows exact phrase

2. windows 10 search exact phrase

3. windows search exact phrase

4. search for exact phrase in windows 10,
  5. search for exact phrase in explorer,
  6. windows 10 search file contents exact match,
  7. windows search match phrase,
  8. how to search for exact phrase in windows 10,
  9. window 10 search exact,
  10. explorer 10 file contents for exact phrase Previous to Windows 10 I was able to search the contents of all files in a folder for a specific phrase by hitting control F choosing the option to search for a phrase and simply typing the phrase into the search,
  11. how to search exact phrase in windows 10,
  12. windows 10 file explorer search file contents exact phrase,
  13. windows explorer search exact phrase,
  14. windows search exact,
  15. exact phrase search in windows 10 fails