Windows 10: Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file...

Discus and support Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The problem has been solved by TURNING OFF "DETAILS PANE" in the VIEW settings. I have a two year old HP SPECTRE notebook running on Windows 10. About... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JoNs-Iris, May 21, 2020.

1. JoNs-Iris Win User

Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file...

The problem has been solved by TURNING OFF "DETAILS PANE" in the VIEW settings. I have a two year old HP SPECTRE notebook running on Windows 10. About two months ago, I began having trouble renaming Word and Excel files; it may have been after an update from Microsoft for my computer, but I didn't pay much attention to timing. FILE EXPLORER would stop responding to clicks from my mouse and the "busy" circle/wheel would start spinning indefinitely; I always had to close the window; then I started having errors about files not found when I right-clicked on the FILE EXPLORER icon in the task bar. Then I'd have to start FILE EXPLORER using the START MENU or double-clicking the icon and drill down to the folder I was working in previously. I finally started looking for solutions in this forum today, and found a few solutions that were complex or the problems were with folders, not files. Things didn't make sense 100%. I did some more testing on my computer, and discovered that there was NO PROBLEM RENAMING PDF files. Hmmm, this didn't really help or tie into the solution, but it was noted. One solution about turning off QUICK ACCESS did not help solve my problem. Another solution about turning off PREVIEW PANE didn't apply because I haven't used the Preview Pane lately. But it made me try turning off the DETAILS PANE; file renaming now works again! I don't need to see the file details all of the time; it was a default and looked good, but I know how to get file details when I need them by right-clicking on a file name.

:)

JoNs-Iris, May 21, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 21, 2020
  3. File Explorer Freezes during renaming

The File Explorer freezes every time I try to rename a file.

The Name that Displays, May 21, 2020
  4. mixa Win User

Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file...

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file... wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

Thema:

1. Why is Windows 10 File Explorer "freezing" and looping when I try to rename a file... - Similar Threads - Why File Explorer

2. File Explorer renaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer renaming: I have subfolders X, Y, and Z in a multi-subfolder folder. In Windows 10, if I wished to change X and Y, I would click the filename of X, wait a second and click it again. I would type in the new X name to change the filename, and single-click the Y folder,. The X filename...
  3. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  4. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  5. Renaming File in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Renaming File in File Explorer: this is external USB drive when renamed Documents file after sync File explorer shows new name AsusDocuments210724 but when checked in command prompt it is still showing old name i'm puzzled. 183010
  6. File Explorer freezes when i select files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freezes when i select files: When i try to open a file and i click on it the spinning wheel appears and file explorer freezes, but it only works with apps if they are in a folder. If i try pinned apps, the ones on the desktop or if i search for them they work fine. This doesn't happens to folder. Can...
  7. Why can I not rename a file in File Explorer?

Why can I not rename a file in File Explorer?: When I enter a new file and change the name, File Explorer closes. When I do reopen, the name has not been changed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-rename-a-file-in-file-explorer/8ae0da8a-df59-47e6-abd7-1cf5abbe7509
  8. Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open.

Computer Freezes if when renaming a file and the file is open.: With my Windows 7 and renaming files, if I left the file open while renaming, windows would send a pop-up letting me know that it couldn't do it and then I would close the file and click "Try Again". Windows 10 doesn't give me a warning pop-up and just totally freezes my...
  9. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...
  10. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders: First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. folders keeps freezing with renaming