Windows 10: Why is windows 10 getting so slow?

Discus and support Why is windows 10 getting so slow? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sometimes my computer slows down to a crawl as if its a 1 mb ram 20ghz processor instead of an i5 quad core with 8gb of ram which I have. I am running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alan93, Sep 11, 2020.

1. alan93 Win User

Why is windows 10 getting so slow?

Sometimes my computer slows down to a crawl as if its a 1 mb ram 20ghz processor instead of an i5 quad core with 8gb of ram which I have.

I am running malware bytes with windows security.

My Hard drive , Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 ATA 1TB, processes sometimes max out to 100% during this but other times its down to 9% and I can't even open a browser or it takes like 30 seconds and I get a big white rectangle until it loads.

HD is only half full.

Likewise the CPU and Memory processes are low process during these times of inaction.

I have run scan disk and other repair commands from the dos prompt to no avail.

Frequently I will click on a browser or anything else and it says "Not responding" in the title bar.

Sometimes just clicking the X on a browser chrome or edge and it takes for ever to close.

I NEVER got this with windows 7. What is wrong with Windows 10? It seems the more updates it gets the slower it gets.

:)

alan93, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Jborg Win User
    windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Why is windows 10 getting so slow?

Windows 10 on Asus Slow

Hi Danny,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system as it is slow after upgrading to Windows 10. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • When exactly does the system slow performance issue persists?
    • Does the issue confined while performing any specific task on Windows 10?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows Updates and driver updates after upgrading to Windows 10?

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check it if helps.

Step 1: Run the System maintenance troubleshooter.

System Maintenance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Press Windows key and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and hit Enter.
    • Click on View all in the left pane of the window.
    • Select System Maintenance.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Why is windows 10 getting so slow?

1. Why is windows 10 getting so slow? - Similar Threads - Why getting slow

2. Why is Windows 10 so very slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows 10 so very slow?: I remember back in the 1990s, if I clicked on an icon it usually responded within about a second or so.Now when I just want to open a text file .txt format a blue wheel starts spinning for sometimes up to ten seconds before the txt file even begins to open as a new window.If...
  3. Why, so slow?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why, so slow?: My computer. Is a, "Dell" laptop.Running, Windows 10. This is not a question of, Wi-Fi no.This is the, computer itself.When I click, on a link.It takes up to, 30 seconds. To, start? I wait, forever. for a movie, to start?Everything, is just very slow?Could, this be a browser...
  4. Why, so slow?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why, so slow?: My computer. Is a, "Dell" laptop.Running, Windows 10. This is not a question of, Wi-Fi no.This is the, computer itself.When I click, on a link.It takes up to, 30 seconds. To, start? I wait, forever. for a movie, to start?Everything, is just very slow?Could, this be a browser...
  5. Why, so slow?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. why is it so slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is it so slow: COPY SPEED IS 355KB/S, AND IT'LL TAKE MORE THAN 1 FREAKING DAY TO COPY I'm using an microSD to SD adapter, really cheap also it takesSO FREAKING LONG to cancel https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-it-so-slow/292018ca-218f-4cd6-8fbf-e369a890819c
  7. Why is the windows 10 so slow?

Why is the windows 10 so slow?: Why is the windows 10 so slow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-the-windows-10-so-slow/0d66d253-0b06-40bb-af8c-0bf4521a5ce9
  8. Why Window 10 is so slow?

Why Window 10 is so slow?: My computer is running slowly when it got windows 10 update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-window-10-is-so-slow/04f39f6c-e865-4065-8bc4-ee80711fe8b9
  9. Why so slow???

Why so slow???: I just got this PC and it's very slow. I scroll, it lags, I click, it lags. Even when I press the settings, it lags. My internet connection isn't the problem (My other PC that is very old, works much better) If anybody could, please help. And I can't play games nor scroll...
  10. why so slow?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    why so slow?: i have a brand new computer with windows 10 installed and it took over 12 hours to download a 100MB file, plus it cannot stream. Its like I'm on a dial up connection, except at adsl2 prices. Its incredibly frustrating and clearly the reason why apple always comes out on top....