Windows 10: why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?

Discus and support why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; i upgraded to 10 from windows 7, but i recently got some windows 8/8.1 updates for the malicious software removal tool. anyone have some idea as to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jo6Pak, May 11, 2016.

1. Jo6Pak Win User

why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?

i upgraded to 10 from windows 7, but i recently got some windows 8/8.1 updates for the malicious software removal tool. anyone have some idea as to why? thank you in advance...

:)

Jo6Pak, May 11, 2016
  2. GordonB-P Win User

Why is my Windows Recovery Environment giving me a blank gray screen? Is it because I put the Clonezilla ISO in a usb and booted with it??

Where did you get this "Clonezilla" from? Clonezilla is nothing to do with Ubuntu. I use it all the time to make disk images and I've never seen that.

This is what you should get when using Clonezilla:

why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates? [​IMG]

Do you have a Recovery Drive?

GordonB-P, May 11, 2016
  3. Why is my Windows Recovery Environment giving me a blank gray screen? Is it because I put the Clonezilla ISO in a usb and booted with it??

So I downloaded the Clonezilla ISO in an attempt to clone my partition and place it somewhere else, and I put it into a 2 gb flash drive.

When I booted from it, it came up with this:

I
    clicked on Windows recovery environment, and it brought me to this screen:

The
    screen is now stuck like that, and I can’t do anything except power it off and go back to this same place.

Does anyone know what is happening and why Clonezilla is giving me this?

Shadowboy2560, May 11, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Pretty sure it is same, just badly labelled.

cereberus, May 11, 2016
  5. Jo6Pak Win User
    not sure what you mean. can you elaborate? same as what? i didn't think the malicious software removal tool was included in windows 10 by default and i haven't downloaded it. to be honest, i haven't poked around extensively in windows 10 yet. perhaps it is in there somewhere. Defender is installed and i have been getting the updates for that. thanks!

Jo6Pak, May 11, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
  7. Mooly Win User
    It is included in W10 monthly updates and yes, its called and appears as Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - May

Mooly, May 12, 2016
  8. Jo6Pak Win User

Jo6Pak, May 12, 2016
  9. Mooly Win User
    Its under 'installed updates'.

Mooly, May 12, 2016
  10. Jo6Pak Win User
    Thanks. I wasn't looking for the update. I was looking for the application.

Jo6Pak, May 12, 2016
  11. Mooly Win User
    The tool runs as soon as it has been installed... you have no control over that. When its finished I believe it automatically deletes itself ready for the next one in a months time.

Mooly, May 12, 2016
  12. Jo6Pak Win User
    good to know. thanks!

Jo6Pak, May 12, 2016
  13. why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates?

You can run it manually.

C:\Windows\System32\mrt.exe

WinKey+R
    type mrt into the run box

Slartybart, May 12, 2016
  14. Mooly Win User
    Interesting. I never knew that, thanks.

Mooly, May 12, 2016
  15. You're welcome,

There are lots of things I never knew *Wink

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. why is windows 10 giving me windows 8 updates? - Similar Threads - why giving updates

2. Why does windows give me a black screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does windows give me a black screen?: I completely reset my laptop, I reset everything on windows and slsected deleted every file option and slelected cloud download. Now I have a black screen. Is this normal or should I do something....
  3. Why does Windows Update give me a hard time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Update give me a hard time?: Okay, I have tried Reddit and I don't want no smart comments, I'm fed up and I want a real answer.My laptop is an Acer Aspire A315-22. Windows 10 Home 22H2. Every time it installs updates, my laptop acts up worse each time. It disconnects from the internet off and on, freezes...
  4. Why does Windows Update give me a hard time?

Why does Windows Update give me a hard time?: Okay, I have tried Reddit and I don't want no smart comments, I'm fed up and I want a real answer.My laptop is an Acer Aspire A315-22. Windows 10 Home 22H2. Every time it installs updates, my laptop acts up worse each time. It disconnects from the internet off and on, freezes...
  5. Why does Windows Update give me a hard time?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Why is Microsoft giving me an 8 digit Authentication PIN for Passkey

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Microsoft giving me an 8 digit Authentication PIN for Passkey: I want to set up a Passkey account with Google. It's asking for a a 6 digit PIN from Windows/Microsoft. When I ask for an Authentication PIN via Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> PIN Windows Hello , Microsoft sends me an 8 digit code via Microsoft Authenticator which...
  7. Why is Microsoft giving me an 8 digit Authentication PIN for Passkey

Why is Microsoft giving me an 8 digit Authentication PIN for Passkey: I want to set up a Passkey account with Google. It's asking for a a 6 digit PIN from Windows/Microsoft. When I ask for an Authentication PIN via Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options -> PIN Windows Hello , Microsoft sends me an 8 digit code via Microsoft Authenticator which...
  8. Windows update giving me issues

Windows update giving me issues: Hey after my laptop received an update in April its hasn't been the same afterwards, I can not access the basic functions of windows like getting to my settings, menu, cortana, can not even connect to my WiFi through the mini pop up tab or see my notifications tab.It always...
  9. why is windows security giving me notifications

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why is windows security giving me notifications: i keep getting these notifications [ATTACH] How do I stop them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-windows-security-giving-me-notifications/433bab33-4e89-48a0-8804-5e2950081a61
  10. Giving up on Windows 10 - help to revert to 8

Giving up on Windows 10 - help to revert to 8: Hi everyone, I have tried everything to get Windows 10 running this week on my relatively new laptop. I did a format and clean install and it always works well - it runs fast and looks stable - until the first reboot where it hangs at "Restarting..." and after 20...