Windows 10: Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default ?

Discus and support Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default and not to Program files or Program Files x86 ??? When I try to list a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mart_28, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Mart_28 Win User

Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default ?

Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default and not to Program files or Program Files x86 ??? When I try to list a software I installed by default on my PC, I can not find it in the Program Files or Program Files x86 folder. Thank you

:)

Mart_28, Sep 13, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 13, 2019
  3. How to access appdata folder

Hi Jaden,

Thank you posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Write in the search box the following: “%appdata%” .
    • After the search is finished left click or tap on the folder that the search feature found.
    • If it takes you to the following path: “C:\Users\The user that you are logged in with\AppData\Roaming”.
    • It means that your folders are still there but they are hidden.
    • Click on “View”.
    • Check the box “Hidden items”
    Also you refer to the below link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder

Note: Above link also refers to the Windows 10.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Sep 13, 2019
  4. Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default ?

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default ?

1. Why is windows 10 installing programs to Users/AppData folder as default ? - Similar Threads - Why installing programs

2. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?: I would like to know whether users\username\appdata\local directory gives full permissions to the user by default, in Windows10 Enterprise?...
  3. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?: I would like to know whether users\username\appdata\local directory gives full permissions to the user by default, in Windows10 Enterprise?...
  4. Are user\appdata directory permissions set to Full by default in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I change the default AppData folder back to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the default AppData folder back to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming?: Good Day, Microsoft Support.A few months ago I was forced to move the AppData used by apps and games to another drive due to storage issues. Before, I believe the location was at C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming but now the AppData location is D:\Users\Appdata.Now that I...
  6. How do I change the default AppData folder back to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming?

How do I change the default AppData folder back to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming?: Good Day, Microsoft Support.A few months ago I was forced to move the AppData used by apps and games to another drive due to storage issues. Before, I believe the location was at C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming but now the AppData location is D:\Users\Appdata.Now that I...
  7. How do I change the default AppData folder back to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. AppData folder under incorrect user

AppData folder under incorrect user: I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are...
  9. AppData folder under incorrect user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AppData folder under incorrect user: I recently got a new PC. During the initial set up I signed in to my Microsoft acct when prompted. I was not aware the set up was using that information to create the initial user folder as that was not explained during the process. Not what I wanted at all. All my files are...
  10. Why does a software which should be installed in users\AppData folder keep getting...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why does a software which should be installed in users\AppData folder keep getting...: There is a little software which is getting installed inside C:\Users\username\AppData\Local folder. That is the correct spot. But for some users it getting installed inside Program Filesx86 folder, which shouldn't be happen. User doesn't even try 'Run As Admin' option. But...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why appdata install?

2. why does windows 10 install in appdata?

3. windows 10 puts files in app daa roaming

4. programmes trying to open in users appdata roaming,
  5. windows 10 installing to appdata,
  6. windows install older programs do not go in programs files folder where