Windows 10: Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key?

Discus and support Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I now have a pop up asking me to backup keys on a removable media.I don't have bit locker encryption, or any files encrypted. I ran checkdsk on all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by marcusob1, Jun 21, 2021.

1. marcusob1 Win User

Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key?

I now have a pop up asking me to backup keys on a removable media.I don't have bit locker encryption, or any files encrypted. I ran checkdsk on all my files and drives, and no problems, I rebooted, I powered down and powered back on. I checked the event log for other errors and nothing.Why is Windows asking me to backup encryption keys ? - I dont have anything encrypted.To check I have nothing encrypted I ran this cipher /u /n /hresponse wasEncrypted Files on your system:With no listed files or folders.I click on the help link on the dialog that says "Why should I back up the certificate and

:)

marcusob1, Jun 21, 2021

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jun 21, 2021
  3. DMGJM Win User
    Windows 10 Encryption Backing Up the Certificate

Windows 10 Encryption.

My problem is when I try to backup the Certificate Key to an external drive as is recommended by Microsoft. ("Backup your file certificate key...")

The Certificate Export Wizard pops up.

I click NEXT.

The default display is for a .pfx file (which I assume is the default Certificate format when I encrypted the document).

I click NEXT.

Asks for a password and confirm password.

I complete the password step and click NEXT.

THEN THE PROBLEM

It asks for a "file name" for "File to Export.... Specify the name of the file you want to export"

I DON'T KNOW THE FILE NAME FOR THE CERTIFICATE.

The Certificate was automatically generated when I encrypted the file - it did not tell me what the certificate name is or where it is stored.

When I click the browse button, it is looking for a .pfx file but to perform the search I am required to click on every single subfolder individually to search for the .pfx file. It is not in the documents folder fyi.

How do I find the Certificate .pfx file in order to export it?

DMGJM, Jun 21, 2021
  4. Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key?

Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Jun 21, 2021
Thema:

Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key?

1. Why is Windows 10 Professional asking me to back up my file encryption certificate and key? - Similar Threads - Why Professional asking

2. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  3. Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Prompted to backup file encryption certificate and key: Hi,Is it normal behaviour on Windows 11 to be prompted to "Backup file encryption certificate and key" after resetting a local user account password?BitLocker is disables for the disk on this device....
  4. backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    backup your file encryption certificate and key windows 10 popup: Hi! When i open my pc i can see an icon, and when i click on it i get a pop-up that says: "backup your file encryption certificate and key ". I didnt encrypt anything , so i ran "cipher /u /n /h" in a cmd and nothing was outputted. I went in certmgr and in the...
  5. File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key: Hi, so recently i had to do a backup and reset for my laptop and it is just after the reset that i realised that some of my files were encrypted. I had by luck been able to backup the certificates but cannot get access to the files still. It says that the private key is...
  6. why does windows randomly ask me to trust certificate?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why does windows randomly ask me to trust certificate?: If i log into the same PC everyday, many times a day, then why randomly does it ask to trust the cert? More proof windows makes no sense and more proof windows does not work. WINDOWS 10 DOES NOT WORK!...
  7. Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you EFS encrypt your files/folders, it’s recommended you create a backup of your file encryption certificate and key to a PFX file, to avoid permanently losing access to your encrypted files and folders if the original certificate and key [...] This...
  8. Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But...: Hey folks, Today, all of a sudden, a notification prompt appeared and Windows 10 asked me to back up my file encryption key. (I'm on W10 pro with the latest stable update) I was pretty sure I haven't used any kind of encryption in my life. I googled for a while, but...
  9. Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Import Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Import Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...
  10. Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10: How to: Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 How to Back Up Your EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key in Windows 10 [img] Information The Encrypting File System (EFS) is the built-in encryption tool in Windows used to encrypt files and...