Windows 10: Why is Windows 10 replacing/updating about 4 GB of system files each and every week?

Discus and support Why is Windows 10 replacing/updating about 4 GB of system files each and every week? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I regulary delete unneccessary Windows 10 system restore points in the hope of making Windows a bit faster. In doing so I noticed that on average... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndreDepre, May 24, 2019.

1. Why is Windows 10 replacing/updating about 4 GB of system files each and every week?

I regulary delete unneccessary Windows 10 system restore points in the hope of making Windows a bit faster.

In doing so I noticed that on average about 3 to 4 GB (!) of Windows system files are updated/replaced each and every week.

What is this all about? Is this 'normal'? According to Windows Defender there's no virus/malware involved.

:)

AndreDepre, May 24, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 24, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, May 24, 2019
  4. FreddyAk Win User

Why is Windows 10 replacing/updating about 4 GB of system files each and every week?

Windows 10 installation file system

Hello I installed windows 10 on pendrive 3,75 gb with ntfs system file using ultraISO. I read on internet that it is required to use fat32 if you have uefi mobo which I do (msi b85m-g43). So far my system is working just fine except after boot screen the background doesnt dissapear, insted windows 10 loading circle on little black background appears and then it goes to welcome screen. Everythings else is fine so far. May this problem be caused by file system ? Or could it done any other problems I dont see?

Well Nevermind. It seems like program formatted pendrive to fat32 and I didnt see it.

FreddyAk, May 24, 2019
Thema:

Why is Windows 10 replacing/updating about 4 GB of system files each and every week?

1. Why is Windows 10 replacing/updating about 4 GB of system files each and every week? - Similar Threads - Why replacing updating

2. Roblox Error on each and every update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Roblox Error on each and every update: Hi there whenever i open roblox launcher each and every time it gets fixed sometimes and sometime the error comes of create directory error is there any one permanent solution as i dont wanna see the error on next updates its very URGENT!!!!!!...
  3. Roblox Error on each and every update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Roblox Error on each and every update: Hi there whenever i open roblox launcher each and every time it gets fixed sometimes and sometime the error comes of create directory error is there any one permanent solution as i dont wanna see the error on next updates its very URGENT!!!!!!...
  4. Windows 10 bsods every week...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 bsods every week...: Okay, I had this problem since I got my pc last year, May or something, but that shouldn't matter?, it crashes very frequently, like every week, sometimes once, somtimes twice a week, it just keeps happening, it always says SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, also the newest one I got...
  5. C drive losing about 1 gb every day

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    C drive losing about 1 gb every day: Hello my c drive is losing about 1 gb of storage everyday and i dont know what the problem is im not downloading anything new and im still losing space and have no idea whats causing it or what to do. if anyone knows how to fix this then please help me because i built this pc...
  6. Windows 10 System files occupying 130 GB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 System files occupying 130 GB: Good morning, I have Windows 10 installed in a SSD partition with 225 Gb. I have recently found out that 130 Gb are occupied by System and Reserved, of which 118 Gb are occupied by file systems only. I already cleaned my laptop with both Storage Sense and Disk Cleanup. I...
  7. Why are the pictures transferred from myGalaxy 10+ phone 11.8 GB each?

Why are the pictures transferred from myGalaxy 10+ phone 11.8 GB each?: About a month and a half ago, the glass over the back cameras on my S10+ shattered, so through the warranty I pay for I was able to send that phone back and be sent a new S10+. So I transferred the photos and videos from the phone I was to send back to my laptop. I don't...
  8. Update occurs about every two or 3 weeks automatically, erases every single item. restores...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update occurs about every two or 3 weeks automatically, erases every single item. restores...: Everytime my laptop updates with the windows 10 update, it erases every item that I have on my computer. followed by issues logging onto microsoft programs. Please help, luckily I've started saving things on onedrive, but this is pathetic everytime it updates. it deletes...
  9. Windows 10 deletes each and every file i click on?

Windows 10 deletes each and every file i click on?: what should I do now windows deletes each and every file I click on automatically, I am using Microsoft edge and it deletes may yahoo email, whenever I click on any email to read, is windows 10 hacked or its some sort of bug kindly help me how to resolve this issue, it all...
  10. Lost about 8 gb windows file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lost about 8 gb windows file: I only have the operating system on my SSD nothing else. its only a small SSD so thats the reason i use it just for booting. i had about 18GB left on the SSD last night and when i have turned on the pc today i have realised that im down to about 9GB left can anyone comfirm...