Windows 10: Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons?

Discus and support Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 2 days back while at my mother's house, 30 min before leaving I noticed she had a Windows 10 update that needed to be installed, so told it to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by taximadman, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons?

2 days back while at my mother's house, 30 min before leaving I noticed she had a Windows 10 update that needed to be installed, so told it to install update, which which has never took longer than 5 min to do. That day however, when I left 30 min later, it was still installing updates.

The next morning when my mom went to use her computer, 3/4 of her desktop icons were gone. She thought my dad had done something to cause it, as he had tried to use the computer before her, & told her something was wrong with the computer as most of their desktop icons were gone. She called me and, to be honest, from what she said to me about it, it kind of sounded like maybe the computer was somehow stuck in safe mode, so I told her I'd come over & see if I could maybe figure it out.

This morning I went to her house and quickly assessed the computer was not in safe mode, but her desktop picture had been changed, and was now set to Windows 10 default screen. And, as she said 3/4 of her desktop icons were gone. now. I located 2 of the programs that had desktop icons which had been deleted or removed, and created new icons for them & sent them to the desktop . I then went to Windows Update & again noticed that there was a updated that was needed, so I had it install updates. Today, I waited for it to finish installing update, at which point it said computer would have to be rebooted to complete, so I rebooted it. When Windows started, I saw that the 2 program icons I had just put back onto desktop were gone.

It is apparent to me that your Windows 10 Updater has something wrong with it. Can you tell me how long your users will have to put up with this huge problem? At this point, if I don't want this to happen every time Windows does a update, I can only stop Windows from updating, & wait for a fix from you for updater. And, as you say, not letting Windows 10 update as needed leaves user in vulnerable state. So, I ask again, any idea how long before I can expect to wait for a fix? And, in case I'm not clear, your Windows 10 updater is deleting majority of desktop icons which it has never done and returning Windows 10 to its default setting every time update is installed & computer is rebooted.

:)

taximadman, Apr 1, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Mussels Win User
    Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Error 404 Win User

Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons?

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons? :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons?

1. Why is Windows 10 update removing desktop icons? - Similar Threads - Why update removing

2. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...
  3. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?: It is very annoying when I have taken the trouble to order my desktop icons to how I want them, when a Windows Update totally trashes my preference with a re-ordered desk top that defies logic . Is there anyway of stopping this or do I just have to accept that Microsoft knows...
  4. On Windows 10, why do updates re-order desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to remove the Windows 10 desktop icon's checkmarks?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove the Windows 10 desktop icon's checkmarks?: I uninstalled OneDrive, which I don't use.But none of the steps for removing the checkmarks for the Windows 10 desktop icons I found with Google searches seem to eliminate the checkmarks.For example,Your suggestion please.TIA....
  6. How to Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to Remove OneDrive Desktop Icon in Windows 10. I can't remove it! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-onedrive-desktop-icon-in-windows-10/5e32833f-3c55-4299-9a21-15d5e0ff460a
  7. Windows 10 Update removed icons, but not icon captions.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update removed icons, but not icon captions.: I installed the update "2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based systems (KB4100347)" and it made my icons disappear from my desktop. It does not impact my ability to open the icon, as I can click on the caption of the icon. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 Upgrade icon on desktop. Remove?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Upgrade icon on desktop. Remove?: I manually upgraded to the W10 anniversary upgrade. Since then I have a "Windows10 Upgrade" shortcut icon on my desktop from the file "Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" in the C:\Windows10Upgrade folder. Now that the upgrade is all done and history, do I still need this icon or...
  9. Add or Remove Homegroup Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Homegroup Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Homegroup Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share devices (such as printers), and libraries (such as your Documents, Pictures, Music, and Video libraries). Using a homegroup makes...
  10. Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Dropbox Desktop Icon in Windows 10 [img] Information Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by American company Dropbox, Inc. that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal...