Windows 10: Why is Windows ALWAYS unable to eject my device on first try?

Discus and support Why is Windows ALWAYS unable to eject my device on first try? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I use a USB stick to synchronize my data between two laptops. Before removing I always try to be a nice guy and I properly "Eject" the device by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mmo, Jun 19, 2016.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Why is Windows ALWAYS unable to eject my device on first try?

I use a USB stick to synchronize my data between two laptops. Before removing I always try to be a nice guy and I properly "Eject" the device by right-clicking the task manager icon and selecting the stick.

But why do I EACH and EVERY time get the message that Windows is currently unable to eject the device because it is still busy. When I do the same a second time, it is always "Safe to remove the device...".

I find that quite annoying! Why is that always so and why can't Windows simply internally try a few times and then report success on first attempt?

:)

2. Lumia 950 Error dialog when Attempting to Eject It

My Lumia 950 was connected to my Windows 10 computer using the phone's USB cable. When I used the hidden taskbar icon to eject the phone I get the following error dialog:

Windows is unable to stop the device 'USB Composite Device'. Don't remove this device while it is still in use. Close any programs using this device and then remove it.

Any ideas on what is preventing the eject action?

AirForce9797, Jun 19, 2016
  3. why can't i eject a disc in windows 10?

Why csn't i eject a disc in windows 10. I could do it in windows 8. the disc command was always on the IE taskbar.

EdwardCharter, Jun 19, 2016
  4. roblinb Win User

Yeah I've noticed that, too, with Windows 10. Generally the message means that something is still accessing the device.

To be honest I haven't cared enough to investigate the actual cause, but I'm posting to let you know that you're not the only one.

roblinb, Jun 19, 2016
  5. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Thanks for the sympathy! M.

Thema:

1. Why is Windows ALWAYS unable to eject my device on first try? - Similar Threads - Why ALWAYS unable

2. Why can I not eject USB devices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can I not eject USB devices?: I have a Windows 10 Pro system with a 4-port SATA bay and 2 front-mounted USB ports. My SATA bay functions normally, but devices plugged into either of my USB ports will not show up in the Safely Remove Device menu. Under normal circumstances, I can right-click them in...
  3. Why can I not eject USB devices?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why can I not eject USB devices?: I have a Windows 10 Pro system with a 4-port SATA bay and 2 front-mounted USB ports. My SATA bay functions normally, but devices plugged into either of my USB ports will not show up in the Safely Remove Device menu. Under normal circumstances, I can right-click them in...
  4. Why can I not eject USB devices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. why do I always get this Error about Ejecting Storage Device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why do I always get this Error about Ejecting Storage Device?: Everytime I use my Flash Drive/Storage Device and then select the icon "Safely Remove it", I get this warning box. I colse out all that is open, try again and still get this box up. So I restart my PC and when back up I click "Safely Remove" and it allows me to remove it...
  6. why do I always get this Error about Ejecting Storage Device?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why do I always get this Error about Ejecting Storage Device?: Everytime I use my Flash Drive/Storage Device and then select the icon "Safely Remove it", I get this warning box. I colse out all that is open, try again and still get this box up. So I restart my PC and when back up I click "Safely Remove" and it allows me to remove it...
  7. why do I always get this Error about Ejecting Storage Device?

8. Why OneDrive always first in browsing list?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why OneDrive always first in browsing list?: Is there any way to push OneDrive down and choose more frequently used folders when opening File Explorer and doing Save As etc? It's annoying with these unsolicited prioritized settings... Thanks in advance, Ingemar...
  9. External HD ALWAYS reports that it is in use when ejecting device

External HD ALWAYS reports that it is in use when ejecting device: I have a WD 4TB Elements HD (2.5" USB 3 device). I use this to backup my laptop computer. I'm finding that when I try to perform a clean eject of this drive it ALWAYS reports that the drive is in use and NEVER gives the okay to eject the drive. What's odd about this is that...
  10. Why can't I eject this USB device

Why can't I eject this USB device: Hello, I have a portable external HD that connects via USB. A file was copied over and I tried to eject it by going to the task bar, right click on USB safely remove hardware and eject media but it will not do it. see the image [ATTACH] What other program? How do...