Windows 10: Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?

Discus and support Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I try to boot my computer and it says reboot and select proper boot device. When I go to my bios what usually shows windows boot manager along with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rahul Palanisamy, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?

I try to boot my computer and it says reboot and select proper boot device. When I go to my bios what usually shows windows boot manager along with my ssd and hdd isn’t there. Now it is only showing my ssd and hdd and neither are being able to boot.

:)

Rahul Palanisamy, Nov 12, 2022

2. Windows boot manager

There could be some system conflict triggered after the said changes. To help you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. A
    clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This will help to determine what is causing the issue on the Windows boot manager. To do this, click on this
    link and scroll down to the
    How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot section then follow the steps listed..

Note: If the installation is successful and the issue has been resolved. Please go through the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual” to reset your computer to the normal startup.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Nov 12, 2022
  3. Boot Emergency!

No it doesnt show. Only my OS drive.

Its there and it says it running and normal.

Anyway I just had the same boot problem on reboot. Everything was fine 10 minutes ago. Now it wont boot without my manually selecting the drive.

TheMailMan78, Nov 12, 2022
  4. Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?

UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Nov 12, 2022
Thema:

Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?

1. Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options? - Similar Threads - Why boot manager

2. Why do I have 2 boot option in the boot manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I have 2 boot option in the boot manager?: Recently my laptop had an issue and its still recurring. When I boot up it says "preparing automatic repair" and after its done I click continue to windows 10, it reboots again back to "preparing automatic repair". So I'm somewhat stuck in that loop.I've tried almost every...
  3. Why do I have 2 boot option in the boot manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do I have 2 boot option in the boot manager?: Recently my laptop had an issue and its still recurring. When I boot up it says "preparing automatic repair" and after its done I click continue to windows 10, it reboots again back to "preparing automatic repair". So I'm somewhat stuck in that loop.I've tried almost every...
  4. Why do I have 2 boot option in the boot manager?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?: I try to boot my computer and it says reboot and select proper boot device. When I go to my bios what usually shows windows boot manager along with my ssd and hdd isn’t there. Now it is only showing my ssd and hdd and neither are being able to boot....
  6. Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?

Why is windows boot manager not showing up in my boot options?: I try to boot my computer and it says reboot and select proper boot device. When I go to my bios what usually shows windows boot manager along with my ssd and hdd isn’t there. Now it is only showing my ssd and hdd and neither are being able to boot....
  7. No boot Manager when booting up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No boot Manager when booting up!: I am using EasyBCD to manage 3 drives each with windows installations W11 Pro, W11 Pro 2 and W10 Pro, however, Easy BCD shows all 3 installations, but when booting up there is no boot manager showing and it always boots up into windows 11 the one set to default. I have tried...
  8. Windows boot option disappearing from boot manager

Windows boot option disappearing from boot manager: Hi! Today I updated windows 10 on my asus vivobook pro n580-gd, the update only had an update and restart option and no update and shut down option which I normally use since I have a dual boot. I have windows on one ssd drive and linux on another. Since the windows update...
  9. Windows will show up in Setup Boot but not in Boot Options

Windows will show up in Setup Boot but not in Boot Options: Hello I own a Dell Inspiron and I fiddled through Boot options a few hours prior and when i went to boot my computer it shows IPV4, Windows still shows up in Setup Boot but it is not there in Boot Options...
  10. Booting option does not show up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting option does not show up: installed window 10 in partition c and window 7 in partition D on my pc on same disc but window 7 boot option does not show up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-option-does-not-show-up/c4397526-011e-40b8-a918-ff7ac8c2b8c4