Windows 10: Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files

Discus and support Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please have a look at the screenshot. Windows File Explorer is displaying datetime stamp of 11/06/2020 6:33 pm, however if I right click on the file it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chich, Jun 17, 2020.

1. chich Win User

Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files

Please have a look at the screenshot. Windows File Explorer is displaying datetime stamp of 11/06/2020 6:33 pm, however if I right click on the file it displays a different Creation time. This has only happened to 4 files out of about 40. The rest of the files are showing the same date/time stamp on Windows File Explorer and when right clicked.

:)

chich, Jun 17, 2020
  2. geno368 Win User

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Jun 17, 2020
  3. bro67 Win User
    My file and folder timestamps are showing the wrong time

That is because timestamps can be set by the program, not the OS. There are three ways that the timestamp can be shown. Is Windows showing the wrong date for files in Explorer?

This can better explain about timestamps.

"The time zone is an artefact of conversion from "instants" to a human-readable date-and-time in some calendar.
    Computers do not like human-readable formats (not as much as humans, at least), so they usually store instants in a zone-neutral format. For instance, in the NTFS file system, time stamps are stored in UTC.
    Hence, the file time modification is stored properly as long as whoever modifies it knows the current time. If your Windows system displays "13:19" and believes to be in the GMT-5 time zone, then it infers that the current instant is "18:19" in UTC, and writes as much in the NTFS entrails. However, if the OS displays "13:19" but believes to be in the GMT+3 time zone, then the OS is off by eight hours, even if, for the human looking at the screen, things seem fine.
    Another point is that the file modification time is a property of the storage system in which the file is stored, e.g. a file system. When a file is "sent", then that time does not necessarily travels with it. Some archive formats (e.g. Zip) embed the file modification time along with the file. This does not apply to a file sent "as is", attached to an email, will not come with a file modification time."

bro67, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files :p

Frick, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files - Similar Threads - Why File Explorer

2. Windows Bug? Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Bug? Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10: I noticed that Quick access is showing the wrong "date modified" timestamps, as you can see in this picture:when I right-click the file > Properties, date modified shows the correct timestamp.Why does Quick Access show the wrong timestamp? "25/02/2022"...it should be...
  3. Windows Bug? Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Bug? Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10: I noticed that Quick access is showing the wrong "date modified" timestamps, as you can see in this picture:when I right-click the file > Properties, date modified shows the correct timestamp.Why does Quick Access show the wrong timestamp? "25/02/2022"...it should be...
  4. Windows Bug? Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10: I noticed that Quick access is showing the wrong "date modified" timestamps, as you can see in this picture:when I right-click the file > Properties, date modified shows the correct timestamp.Why does Quick Access show the wrong timestamp? "25/02/2022"...it should be...
  6. Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10: I noticed that Quick access is showing the wrong "date modified" timestamps, as you can see in this picture:when I right-click the file > Properties, date modified shows the correct timestamp.Why does Quick Access show the wrong timestamp? "25/02/2022"...it should be...
  7. Quick Access in File Explorer shows wrong timestamps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps?

Why are file Explorer and CMD 'dir' sometimes displaying different timestamps?: This was asked previously, and not fully answered. Not all files show different times; it appears that the display may only be different for files whose timestamp is not in the DST range when 'dir' is run at a time that is in the DST range and possibly vice-versa? Can someone...
  9. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...
  10. Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer: I've ripped several DVDs to MP4s. In Windows 10 - 64-bit file explorer, some of the icons for the MP4 files display as the movie poster and some of the icons appear as a snapshot of the 1st still (e.g. opening credits vs. movie poster). Is there a way to get all the MP4 icons...