Windows 10: Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files

Discus and support Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Please have a look at the screenshot. Windows File Explorer is displaying datetime stamp of 11/06/2020 6:33 pm, however if I right click on the file it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chich, Jun 17, 2020.

1. chich Win User

Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files

Please have a look at the screenshot. Windows File Explorer is displaying datetime stamp of 11/06/2020 6:33 pm, however if I right click on the file it displays a different Creation time. This has only happened to 4 files out of about 40. The rest of the files are showing the same date/time stamp on Windows File Explorer and when right clicked.

:)

chich, Jun 17, 2020
  2. geno368 Win User

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Jun 17, 2020
  3. bro67 Win User
    My file and folder timestamps are showing the wrong time

That is because timestamps can be set by the program, not the OS. There are three ways that the timestamp can be shown. Is Windows showing the wrong date for files in Explorer?

This can better explain about timestamps.

"The time zone is an artefact of conversion from "instants" to a human-readable date-and-time in some calendar.
    Computers do not like human-readable formats (not as much as humans, at least), so they usually store instants in a zone-neutral format. For instance, in the NTFS file system, time stamps are stored in UTC.
    Hence, the file time modification is stored properly as long as whoever modifies it knows the current time. If your Windows system displays "13:19" and believes to be in the GMT-5 time zone, then it infers that the current instant is "18:19" in UTC, and writes as much in the NTFS entrails. However, if the OS displays "13:19" but believes to be in the GMT+3 time zone, then the OS is off by eight hours, even if, for the human looking at the screen, things seem fine.
    Another point is that the file modification time is a property of the storage system in which the file is stored, e.g. a file system. When a file is "sent", then that time does not necessarily travels with it. Some archive formats (e.g. Zip) embed the file modification time along with the file. This does not apply to a file sent "as is", attached to an email, will not come with a file modification time."

bro67, Jun 17, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files :p

Frick, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Why is Windows File Explorer displaying wrong timestamp for some files - Similar Threads - Why File Explorer

2. File Timestamp inconsistencies

in Windows 10 Support
    File Timestamp inconsistencies: First example: DISMRepairLogFile.txt. The file timestamp shown in Windows Explorer is 1 hour ahead of actual time. However, the individual entries in the content of the file are correct. Second Example: SrtTrail.txt. The file timestamp shown in Windows Explorer is 1 hour...
  3. Wrong file size displayed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong file size displayed: [ATTACH] I am getting this in my F drive. I updated windows, scanned it using Windows Defender Offline scan but still it's appearing like this. Please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-file-size-displayed/7d4b0e10-4611-4f3b-a497-abdc51e4c306"
  4. What's the "date" timestamp in Windows 10 file explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the "date" timestamp in Windows 10 file explorer?: I'm trying to figure out timestamping in Windows. The only one I cannot figure out is "date", is this "date created", "date modified"? It's sometimes one or the other by what I can see. Thanks in advance *Smile 142003
  5. Display of files displayed in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display of files displayed in Windows Explorer: I am running Win10 Pro on a Surface Pro and I want to NOT have the Widows Explorer sub-total my files by date. Unfortunately I can't find anything anywhere that tells me how to accomplish that. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks for your help....
  6. My file and folder timestamps are showing the wrong time

in Windows 10 Support
    My file and folder timestamps are showing the wrong time: Over the summer in the UK (when we were on British Summer Time) my files and folders had the correct time on them, but ever since Daylight Savings kicked in and moved us back to Greenwich Mean Time, my files (depending on what app is used to view the file details) keeps...
  7. File explorer wrong color

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer wrong color: After this October update, that a friend of mine told me that File Explorer would have a matching color of your system default theme, light or dark, I only got this monstrosity in my system. It's wrong in both light and dark. Someone could explain me how can this be fixed?...
  8. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...
  9. Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Some MP4 Files Are Not Displaying Icons in File Explorer: I've ripped several DVDs to MP4s. In Windows 10 - 64-bit file explorer, some of the icons for the MP4 files display as the movie poster and some of the icons appear as a snapshot of the 1st still (e.g. opening credits vs. movie poster). Is there a way to get all the MP4 icons...
  10. Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer: My laptop is displaying the wrong thumbnails after i upgrade to windows 10. When you open the file explorer and preview an file the next file your going to preview will be same thumbnail to the first one even the other files. Here s an video so i can explain well....