Windows 10: Why is windows going to erase files when I change my save location to my secondary hard...

Discus and support Why is windows going to erase files when I change my save location to my secondary hard... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I just saw that Forza Motorsport 6 is free and I pressed install but it said there is no room on the drive so it wanted me to open some room for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BekirBeko, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BekirBeko Win User

Why is windows going to erase files when I change my save location to my secondary hard...

Hi,

I just saw that Forza Motorsport 6 is free and I pressed install but it said there is no room on the drive so it wanted me to open some room for it. Instead I went for changing save location but it said this is going to erase the other applications on the secondary drive and I don't want that because nearly all my Steam games are in it. What should I do?

:)

BekirBeko, Oct 7, 2018

2. How to default files to save to secondary hard drive in Windows 10?

I just bought a new PC with 2 hard drives - the primary is a 256 MB SSD and the secondary is 2T HD. I was told the computer would be set up to run OS and applications off the primary drive (SSD) and files would automatically be saved to the second drive
    (ie: Documents/Videos/Pictures/Music folders), but that is not how it's set up - everything is set to save automatically to the primary drive. How do I change this so that when I import music or save documents or upload pictures to those folders that it will
    be saving to the secondary drive? I've found this question in the Microsoft forum, but not related to Windows 10. I've tried making the change in Start > Settings > System and selecting the secondary drive for files types to save to a different drive. All
    this does is create a user folder with subfolders of Documents, Videos, Pictures, Music, but when I save files to "documents" instead of choosing the secondary drive and finding the folder on that drive, it still is saving to the primary drive. I tried right-clicking
    on the folders, going to the Location tab, changing the location to the secondary drive, but that doesn't work and seemed to mess some things up so I reset my computer to factory settings since it's new and I haven't transferred my old computer files to this
    new one yet.

HELP! I'm good enough with computers to follow instructions, but I can't find a good set of instructions to follow at this point.

Thanks!

AngelaC_918, Oct 7, 2018
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    hard drive full, but can<t find the item to erase

Windows 10 has the option to change the storage location. We suggest that you change the storage location so you can still use your hard drive instead of using the SSD. Kindly follow the steps below on how to change the storage location:

• On the Search bar, type in storage and select the top most result.
    • On the Storage screen, change the location of each options to your desired hard drive. The files will now be saved on the specific hard drive.

Why is windows going to erase files when I change my save location to my secondary hard... 47d2da23-d12c-4708-9637-ccc0766a4909.png

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Xylee Del, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Geethu B Win User

Why is windows going to erase files when I change my save location to my secondary hard...

Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Why is windows going to erase files when I change my save location to my secondary hard... - Similar Threads - Why going erase

2. Windows 11 & Location my files are saved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 & Location my files are saved: Hello,I just bought a new Laptop with Windows 11 loaded on it.I am a bit confused concerning where my files get saved. Where is the default place where the files get saved? Is it on the ONE Drive?Is there automatically a copy of my folders and files on the C Drive?If I go to...
  3. Windows 11 & Location my files are saved

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 & Location my files are saved: Hello,I just bought a new Laptop with Windows 11 loaded on it.I am a bit confused concerning where my files get saved. Where is the default place where the files get saved? Is it on the ONE Drive?Is there automatically a copy of my folders and files on the C Drive?If I go to...
  4. Change my Pictures and Documents Saving Location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change my Pictures and Documents Saving Location: Hey,Recently I factory resetted my computer, and as soon as I got it resetted I uninstalled OneDrive, but now the thing is theres still a OneDrive folder in C:\Users\XXXXwhich is actively backing up my pictures and documents, when I click on the properties of the Pictures...
  5. Change my Pictures and Documents Saving Location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change my Pictures and Documents Saving Location: Hey,Recently I factory resetted my computer, and as soon as I got it resetted I uninstalled OneDrive, but now the thing is theres still a OneDrive folder in C:\Users\XXXXwhich is actively backing up my pictures and documents, when I click on the properties of the Pictures...
  6. Change my Pictures and Documents Saving Location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. why are files saved to wrong locations?

in Windows 10 Support
    why are files saved to wrong locations?: I save a current file I'm working on to a folder. I expect the system to take that as the operative folder until I save something else to a new folder. But that's not what happens! Instead, the system decides a seemingly random folder is the next candidate for a file that is...
  8. I can't change my default app save location

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't change my default app save location: i tried to change my default app save location from my C to my D drive, whenever i try this a message pops up saying "This drive has apps from another device. To use this drive, the other apps must first be deleted. Do you want to continue?" When i click no nothing happens...
  9. secondary hard drive got erased on windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    secondary hard drive got erased on windows reinstallation: I recently had a BSOD issue on my Dell XPS laptop. I attempted to repair corrupted system files and refreshing windows installation a number of times which didn't help. I managed to create a windows recovery disk on a USB stick. The laptop has two hard drives. Windows...
  10. when i got windows installed my hard drive was completely erase

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    when i got windows installed my hard drive was completely erase: Hello when i got windows installed my hard drive was completely erase https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%D8%AE%D8%B1%D8%A7%D8%A8%DB%8C/bd96c32b-970c-41bb-a949-fedd228dd445