Windows 10: Why is windows text to speech so awful?

Discus and support Why is windows text to speech so awful? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I use in browser text to speech program for listening to things because of bad eyesight and sometimes it is just nice to lay back and listen or do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/heimdal77, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Why is windows text to speech so awful?

I use in browser text to speech program for listening to things because of bad eyesight and sometimes it is just nice to lay back and listen or do other stuff while listening. Recently kindle browser version blocked text to speech programs. So I tried using their app that has a text to speech option but it seems to use the windows text to speech set robotic voice. Other programs have tons of options for voices you can download free or buy where you can even modify things like pitch and speed. Personally I was using a natural speak female british voice. So why is it microsoft is still only giving the same option from over 20 years ago when text to speech only just started being added to windows? They only option I've seen is to change to other languages completely and a few other english version but seems to require your system to be set to that region.

How is it microsoft can't do ones that are even half way decent when they are so common now for other things?

submitted by /u/heimdal77
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/heimdal77, Jun 30, 2021
  2. freda Win User

text to speech

Do you heard of software which can read text in any application and convert text to mp3, wav, ogg or vox files? I known one - Alive Text to Speech , but it is not a free software, i can use it for 20 days.

Do you recommend a free software?

Thank you!

freda, Jun 30, 2021
  3. EdTittel Win User
    Autoscroll function and speech to text?

Dear Rarara!
    You should find this MS Support article "Use Speech Recognition" both interesting and helpful. I agree with the previous poster that 3rd-party products (such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, in addition to his suggestion) are better for those in need of more serious and capable speech to text solutions.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jun 30, 2021
  4. grecinos Win User

Why is windows text to speech so awful?

How do you change the text to speech voice in a (Windows) vbscript?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a text to speech vbscript. The problem I'm having is that I can only select between 3 voices. I have 8 available in Windows 10.

Here is my code:

Code: set voice = CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice") set voice.Voice = voice.GetVoices.Item(1) voice.Rate = 1 voice.Volume = 90 voice.Speak TextMessage[/quote] I get a vbs error message when I choose a number greater than 2 for the voice.GetVoices.Item(1) parameter.

Error: 0x80045039
    Code: 80045039
    Source: (null)

Any suggestions?

TIA,

grecinos

grecinos, Jun 30, 2021
Thema:

Why is windows text to speech so awful?

1. Why is windows text to speech so awful? - Similar Threads - Why text speech

2. Why is it that speech to text is so inconsistent?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is it that speech to text is so inconsistent?: The behaviour of the Win+H Speech to text app is extremely inconsistent. Most of the time I have to initiate speech to text twice as more often than not the first time it doesn't work and it hangs on Initializing..... or Something went wrong please try again. Almost...
  3. Why is it that speech to text is so inconsistent?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is it that speech to text is so inconsistent?: The behaviour of the Win+H Speech to text app is extremely inconsistent. Most of the time I have to initiate speech to text twice as more often than not the first time it doesn't work and it hangs on Initializing..... or Something went wrong please try again. Almost...
  4. Speech to text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speech to text: Hello!In the past when i press the windows button and the letter h, speech to text will normally work. Now it is no longer working.Can you assist? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-to-text/5c51e32e-5082-43dc-8a32-5ce5835cf0b9
  5. Why is download integrity so awful?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is download integrity so awful?: I just got a new laptop and download integrity is off the charts terrible. It was terrible in Windows 10 and just as terrible in Windows 11. I can't even download a near 2TB file from my cloud storage. The speed is amazingly slow with a wired connection and then the download...
  6. Why is download integrity so awful?

Why is download integrity so awful?: I just got a new laptop and download integrity is off the charts terrible. It was terrible in Windows 10 and just as terrible in Windows 11. I can't even download a near 2TB file from my cloud storage. The speed is amazingly slow with a wired connection and then the download...
  7. Speech to Text

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Speech to Text: In an online lecture and wanna take notes without having to type. I know with macs you can double tap the FN key to activate a speech to text thing that will take whatever a prof is saying and write it down in a word doc. How tf do I do this on windows? submitted by...
  8. text to speech

in Windows 10 Customization
    text to speech: I am trying to locate other united states female voices to add but can't locate them. Please help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-to-speech/99702a97-6694-4e10-a2b4-614a713ce8db
  9. Why is windows Hello so awful?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Why is windows Hello so awful?: I bought a Microsoft Surface Book 2 when they first came out and initially had no problems with windows Hello. However, it stopped working over 6 months ago and none of the suggested fixes work. Windows hello thinks that my camera is not compatible - it is. All windows...
  10. Text to Speech

Text to Speech: Text to Speech identifies the acronyms incorrectly: Example: NM is spoken 'nanometer'. Reading Aviation material the NM is 'nautical mile' and VOR is not 'voor', it is V.O.R. There are more. I would like to modify TEXT to SPEECH speech file or dictionary relative to what...